What Can Debian Os Extend Do?

BRIGUY14

Still Fresh
Hi everyone. I was looking around the forums, I saw that Alerino posted about Debian OS and that you can run programs and applications at once.

1.However, does using OS Extends affect the performance of the Pandora?

2.Also, all the programs (Open office,Ekiga and etc.)that were created for Linux can you use any program with a driver for Linux through Debian?

BRIGUY14 said:
Hi everyone. I was looking around the forums, I saw that Alerino posted about Debian OS and that you can run programs and applications at once.
1.However, does using OS Extends affect the performance of the Pandora?
The only performance impact I can see is the duplication of some libraries in memory. So you loose a bit of memory. don't ask me how much :p

BRIGUY14 said:
2.Also, all the programs (Open office,Ekiga and etc.)that were created for Linux can you use any program with a driver for Linux through Debian?
while using the extent system you're still using the pandora's kernel so about drivers you're bound to this. But I can't see why a debian app cant access to that :)

warning, all guess as i'm not using it

Last edited by a moderator:
1. It shouldn't, as it's just a chroot and it'll use it's own copies of the libraries. Of course, if you're going to go running heavy applications, be prepared for the performance to be a bit iffy!

2. What do you mean "any program with a driver"?
I haven't actually checked if you've got access to fiddle with kernel modules from inside the Debian chroot.. I suspect not, so this won't work if you need to load any special driver for the program to run.
Also, said driver would need to be compiled for ARM, and specifically for our kernel version in Angstrom. And if you're doing that, you're as well loading the module before your chroot so it's available, and binding the correct bits of /dev for it to access if I've not already done so in the mount script.

Back