What Gp2x Theme/skin Is This?

blakespot

Still Fresh
I'm looking for a skin or theme for the GP2X that I've seen in Retro Gamer magazine and other PR shots of the unit. It's got a blue background and the main icons look like white buttons set at an angle - sort of isometric - with pixelated graphics on them. The game icon looks like a robot from Robotron, or something. The buttons rise out of the background a bit.

Does anyone know what theme this is and is it full and 2.0 compatible? Thanks!

Can't find it in searches.

blakespot

ninjak posted on Jul 25 2006 at 08:02 AM said:
You're thinking of the Candy Skin I'm pretty sure. It's a great looking skin.

Candy Skin
That's it! Looks so much better than the default theme.

What do theme installers do, throw graphics in the core NAND-based install? Is there a simple way to get the original theme back, if I wanted to for some reason, or was it overwritten? Tnx.

blakespot

Last edited by a moderator:
I recommend the Candy skin to anyone. One of the best, if not THE best skin there is for the GP2x.

I don't think it'd be hard to convert it to a green version, though.. Just whip out Irfanview, I guess.. ;)

I'll start creating a good looking skin too, as soon as the new firmware is released. Though it's kinda hard to make it good-looking on the GP2X LCD screen :(

Try to look at the picture below on your GP2X and you'll see what I mean <_<

gameparkh.gif

Yeah, doesn't it look awfull? If you found that awfull, try a linear background from black to grey. :(

NoidZ posted on Jul 25 2006 at 04:55 PM said:
I'll start creating a good looking skin too, as soon as the new firmware is released. Though it's kinda hard to make it good-looking on the GP2X LCD screen :(

Really? I find that everything I do looks approximately five point three times better on the GP2X screen than my own CRT.

the gp2x menu uses lower bit graphics or something so the interface graphics look crap...

compare this, taken on windows via screenshot:
ipodsucks-0.png

and then compare it to how it looks on the 2x.... totally crap

Paradox posted on Jul 25 2006 at 02:54 PM said:
the gp2x menu uses lower bit graphics or something so the interface graphics look crap...

The GP2X has about 115dpi on it's LCD. This 20" Apple Cinema Display has about 100dpi. Image should look "less jaggy" on the GP2X...

GP2X screen is 320x240, but only 2.75" wide.

Though I do notice the "screen door" pixel-grid effect is more pronouncd on the GP2X than my Apple Cinema - dramatically so.

blakespot

Paradox posted on Jul 25 2006 at 11:54 AM said:

ipodsucks-0.png

Yes, that is a problem of the backlight causing oversaturated colors, also we don't have full control over the rest of the color and contrast settings.

The dot pitch seems to be a mite high for the 2.0 models, but not disturbingly so.

If you want to be un-impressed by a screen, try any other handheld device with 320x240 pixels under $200. Or any handheld screen under $200 tied to a real OS for that matter. DS Lite is the only competition that I see.

PSP screen is crap, sorry if you can't see it, bad contrast, blurry, ick.

NoidZ posted on Jul 25 2006 at 07:55 AM said:

Try to look at the picture below on your GP2X and you'll see what I mean <_<

gameparkh.gif

Yeah, doesn't it look awfull? If you found that awfull, try a linear background from black to grey. :(
I think that picture just looks awful no matter how I read it, my "partner"? That is almost as bad as my first, "happy good motherboard" manual.

Back