What Hanheld

Chris S

Still Fresh
Hello

That should have said Handheld....... :rolleyes:

Was not sure where to post this so sorry if this is the wrong place.

I am thinking about selling my Pandora, it all seems like to much hard work
getting some things to run, well for me anyway, and really do not need wifi or a desktop.

I just want an hendheld that emulates most old consoles and computers quite well
so as the occasional game can be played.

What would people recommend for the above or should I just use my PSP for my emulation ?

If your just wanting to play games on the classic systems pretty much any handheld will work out fine, It really depends on your personal preference for screen size, buttons, and whatnot. I have a PSP, a Cannoo, & most recently a Yinlips YDPG18 and I like all of them for different reasons. I use the PSP for PSP games & PSX emulation. I like the the Cannoo because it's open source & they have some really good freeware games. I dig the Yinlips for the larger screen and android games. All three systems play the classic systmes pretty much flawlessly. When you get into the "newer" systems ie. PSX & N64 you run into glitches and lag. The Caanoo won't run N64 games & PSX games run very slow. N64 emulation on the yinlips is pretty good & it plays 2d PSX games well.

When I went looking for an open source handheld I researched the crap out of all that was avalible. In general everything performed pretty much the same & all had really good support. I went with the Caanoo for the 3" screen where everything else had a 2.x" screen

When looking at Android handhelds it was a toss up between the Yinlips & the JXD S601. From the specs both are pretty much the same except the JXD runs on Android 2.3 where the Yinlips runs on 2.2. tho I think Yinlips is about to or has released an upgraded version that runs on 2.3. I picked the Yinlips only because one came up on the bay of e for $100 with free shippiing.

My suggestion is to take a look at the handheld comparison sheet thread (thank you BAFelton for making it). It breaks down the specs of the different systems & tells what systems they can emulate.

One last note, If you go with the Yinlips YDPG18 you'll want to root it so you can get the android market, upgrade the emulators & get rif of all the usless preinstalled stuff. Its really simple to do, took me all of maybe 10 min. I'd also suggest installing BitRider's custom firmware. Look on youtube for qbertaddict1's tutorials on how to do all that.

Back