What Happened To The 1st Batch Being 100 Before The 3000 Batch Is Sold

telegramguy

Website
www.youtube.com
Not that I mind (actually looking forward to reading about it) any Pandora's to be sold to the public but what happened to the plan of selling 100 of them first before jumping in with 3000?

Are MWeston / Craigx so confident with the current hardware batch (what a dozen or less?) that they'll jump straight in and try to fix things through software later? With so few developer boards in plain existence, why skip forward so fast?

Have orders even been made for all the parts to make the 3000 yet?

The "100" were to be sent/sold to developers, and as you can see by some of the videos floating around, several have indeed been sent out.

Fat Agnus said:
Not that I mind (actually looking forward to reading about it) any Pandora's to be sold to the public but what happened to the plan of selling 100 of them first before jumping in with 3000?

Are MWeston / Craigx so confident with the current hardware batch (what a dozen or less?) that they'll jump straight in and try to fix things through software later? With so few developer boards in plain existence, why skip forward so fast?

Have orders even been made for all the parts to make the 3000 yet?
The oft quoted "first 100" were to be sent directly to devs for programing / testing purposes. Craig later revised it to "up to 100" dev units. Since the dev units are essentially hand-made, they are very expensive, and they only wanted to make as many as were strictly necessary. I don't know the exact number out there right now, but I'm fairly sure it's less than a dozen. That doesn't include the handful of TI OMAP dev boards out there, which are perfectly functional for most software development purposes.

Last I heard, they are trying to get some more Pandora dev boards ASAP so that a few more coders can start work before the actual retail units ship in two months.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chip said:
they only wanted to make as many as were strictly necessary. I don't know the exact number out there right now, but I'm fairly sure it's less than a dozen. That doesn't include the handful of TI OMAP dev boards out there, which are perfectly functional for most software development purposes.

Really? The number of units made out in the wild does not include the handful of dev boards out there? I thought the less dozen or less out there included the dev boards except for the 1 or 2 made by hand.

It would be great to hear who all has a dev board... at the very least, how many are in existence. It would make me and others warm and fuzzy if someone can confirm the numbers.

I hate to sound like a "debbie downer", but I don't see how they can make the November rollout date. Since MWeston is the only person working on the Pandora full time (e.g. no other day or side job), I wish them everyone working on this the very best so the day job thing doesn't delay the Pandora some more.

Fat Agnus said:
Really? The number of units made out in the wild does not include the handful of dev boards out there? I thought the less dozen or less out there included the dev boards except for the 1 or 2 made by hand.

It would be great to hear who all has a dev board... at the very least, how many are in existence. It would make me and others warm and fuzzy if someone can confirm the numbers.

The total number may still be under a dozen. I do not know.

People have posted asking "Who has one?" before and not really gotten a response. Maybe the devs don't want to be bothered. I'll respect the privacy of those that haven't spoken up yet, but you can get a good chunk of the roster just by looking to see who has posted a video so far. Go down the list on the Dev Update sticky and count them up ;)

Back