What Hardware Projects Being Made?

spudpeel

Still Fresh
What Hardware stuff is being made atm, apart from the chatboard mods I already know about? Just interested :p

I have the components for an IR reciever/transmitter combo, just havn't got round to putting them together yet (real life++). Powered by the 3.3v of the EXT port, recieve and transmit are over the RX and TX pins atm (may change to some other pins depending on the results I get using RX and TX, and if I can understand anything about programming for the EXT port. The chatboard example is all I have to go by and its mighty confusing. Anyone with a simple example of how to read/write values to/from any of the pins of the EXT port would be helpful, preferably IRQ driven I supposed - the chatboard assembler is lost on me though).

I think recieving IR signals will work fine, but am not sure that transmitting them will work to any useful degree (it will work, but seeing as the only use of transmitting IR signals will be to control another device, TV, etc, I am not sure that such signals can be easily sent, due to the nature of how RX and TX operate in the UART - recieved ("learnt") signals may not be what was actually sent from a remote, and thus the transmitted signals would not be the same AND the transmitted signals may not be the same evne if the recieved signal was...phew).

I am under the impression that both RX and TX only recieve/transmit 8 bits at a time, is this so? What about the other (JTAG) pins? Some example code for reading/writing would be ggggggrrrrreat!

As Tony the Tiger would say.

Maximum working distance should be ~30m, but given that only 3.3v can be supplied, I expect this to be more like 5-10m at room temperature/no bright light sources. Still great for controlling a TV though, or maybe it could be added to (for example) an mp3/ogg player to allow paly/stop/pause, etc, via a remote.

Oh, and it's all tiny enough to fit into an EXT connector, which is nice. LED's could probably be added too, to flash on recieve/transmit.

Back