What Has Happened To...?

foxblock

Asleep
Some impressive, interesting and ambitious projects have been started in this scene over the years.
Sadly most of them now seem to be dead... or are they? That is what I want to find out.

But instead of grave-digging dozens of old threads I thought I combine the search for a status update in one thread.
Additionally I did not yet message the individual authors (but probably will do so) as I want to give the community an opportunity to show that you still care for those projects and maybe give the authors a push to continue to work on them.
I also chose this forum over the official one as I know most devs either visit both or just gp32x.de, especially the community veterans, so chances are they return to this place at one point.
Let's revive some of those projects or at least get a status update or the code! ;)

I used the list on the wiki as a base, but I won't include all projects here, feel free to add ones you would like to find out more about.
Unreleased_games

Thanks to the maintainers!

Use this code for a new inquiry:
Code:
[size="3"][b]PROJECT NAME[/b][/size]
  [spoiler]IMAGE OR VIDEO HERE[/spoiler] [b]Status:[/b] [b][color="#c0c0c0"]UNKNOWN[/color][/b] [b][color="#ffb400"]ON HOLD[/color][/b] [b][color="#ff0000"]DEAD[/color][/b] [b][color="#00ff00"]WIP (ETA: )[/color][/b]
[b]Last update:[/b] 
[b]Author:[/b] 
[b]Type:[/b] 
[b]Additional info: [/b]

So if you know any latest update about these projects, know the author or are the author, please reply and give us an update, even if it means declaring the project dead - at least we have a definite then! (and in case the code or assets are released, somebody else might pick it up)

Chaotic Vortex
cv400x300.png

VIDEO
Last update: 2010-06-04 (link)
Author: Ruben
Type: Nicely looking dual stick 2D shooter
Additional info: Discussion Website (W32 build available)

Human Condition
2vkazhe.png
Last update: 2010-02-09 (link)
Author: Butterman
Type: First person shooter, similar to Quake or CounterStrike.
Additional info: Discussion YouTube account Butterman was also working on TINXL an online, cross-platform game-service library (similar to Steam, but minus the shop)

Lerp
Lerp_2009-07-13_21-00-56-31.jpg
Last update: 2009-09-28 (link)
Author: benjymous
Type: Innovative character-transformation side-scroller with physic-based puzzles
Additional info: Website Discussion Last visit of the author is half a year ago. Videos available on vimeo

Nail's Adventure
[media]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=SeZvm1blj7Y[/media]
OLD VIDEO
Last update: 2009-04-07 (link)
Author: jsmtux and Mr. Gonzo
Type: Story driven side-scroller with nice visuals
Additional info: Discussion Last posts in the thread are still from the time of broken quotes.

Onee-sama Tasukete!
oneemockup2.gif
Last update: 2010-12-19 (link)
Author: Eniko
Type: Epic Beat 'em up with great sprites
Additional info: Discussion Eniko is still active in the community, but seems to be very busy with school.

We Come In Peace
[media]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=_CSW_Gj0VMg[/media]
Last update: 2009-06-09 (link)
Author: Otaco
Type: Fast-paced strategy game good for small breaks and intense fights alike.
Additional info: Discussion I still have a working W32 and Linux build as well as the source on my computer (it is fun!) Download (see for more info). It probably needs a GL to GLES conversion to work on the Pandora, PM me if you are interested in trying to do that.

ZEQ2Lite
shot0001.jpg

VIDEO
Last update: 2011-03-22 (link)
Author: MDave
Type: Third person, 3D Dragonball Fighter with network-multiplayer support.
Additional info: Discussion Source (SVN) Build Probably needs a GL to GLES conversion. Working on Windows and Linux, but no Pandora port in sight.
(Not really a "Pandora original", but still valid in that sense as MDave is involved ;) )

Zomb'd
2upy98p.png
Last update: 2010-01-22 (link)
Author: iprice and Mr. Gonzo
Type: Shoot 'em up with really great old-school sprites.
Additional info: Discussion Mr.Gonzo returned to the community after a long break about a year ago, but seems to have disappeared again.

MORE
Golem, Gridwars-inspired game, Pandora Pong
NEON, Quantum Drive, Galactic Artifact, PanMMO

Also feel free to post comments on the info and errors posted above.

foxblock out

EDIT: Sorry for the big images, the forum software keeps eating my css-style attributes.

Last edited by a moderator:
wow i didn't even know of half of the projects

chaotic vortex looks like a game for me! :D

Lerp and Onee-sama Tasukete! were both titles I was looking forward to, in particular. :p

I love the concept of "We Come In Peace" - that's one of the ones I really hope gets released eventually. You say you have a copy of the source?

I wonder if it would be comfortable to play on the Pandora, though? Seems like it's made more for a mouse and keyboard than touchscreen (which would be workable, but probably a bit slower).

I'm also really looking forward to ZEQ2Lite. That one still seems to be active, thankfully (although there has been no Pandora port yet, as promised).

Oh goodness, I had forgotten about Lerp. There are quite a few good-looking games in that list, but Lerp really stands out for me. Also Zomb'd. Oh my.

I still have a PC Demo of "We come in Peace", this game would sureley rock onto the Pandora. :)
Im a little bit disappointed about "Nail's Adventure". Mr. Gonzo made alot of noise in a huge Thread about this promising Project but at the end it vanished in thin air I guess. :(

Esn said:
I love the concept of "We Come In Peace" - that's one of the ones I really hope gets released eventually. You say you have a copy of the source?

I wonder if it would be comfortable to play on the Pandora, though? Seems like it's made more for a mouse and keyboard than touchscreen (which would be workable, but probably a bit slower).

I'm also really looking forward to ZEQ2Lite. That one still seems to be active, thankfully (although there has been no Pandora port yet, as promised).

I never really looked into it and was in the impression I did. Well now I did look at the actual source files and as it turns out it is only the source for the library used (gloost, something he apparently wrote with a friend)... bummer :S
Maybe one could reverse-engineer the builds.. ;) but seriously, having the source code to that game would be great, the build I have is already fully playable and fun (probably the same fusion_power has - dated 21.06.2009).

Controls would need some tweaking as they require the right-mouse button, one could map that to L and R I guess, apart from that I don't see a problem. But now without the source... oh well.

Sorry for getting the hopes up, but I will try to contact Otaco and see if I can get the source.

foxblock out

Foxblock, I just wanted to say this is an awesome idea for a thread. I applaud you :)

I vaguely remember some I'd like to know about: one of them was a pong-like game with various special features. Another was a Geometry Wars style game, I think torpor was doing something for it. And then there was this project of Butterman's, I think it was based on the idea of Dungeon Keeper, and you had these little robots to do your bidding. I'll have to see if I can dig up the threads.

EDIT:
Golem
[media]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=tyILrT6cVpE[/media]

UNKNOWN
Last update: 2010-06-05
Author: Butterman
Type: strategy?
Additional info: Discussion

Gridwars inspired game
2ii8h92.gif
Last update: 2010-05-14
Author: Monk, Torpor
Type: arcade

Pandora Pong
Last update: 2010-01-17
Author: crysnamtodshire
Type: arcade

Sorry for getting the hopes up, but I will try to contact Otaco and see if I can get the source.

You don't need to, I think. It's one of the examples of his engine/framework. Named "intergalactic", I think.

Schnatterplatsch said:

You don't need to, I think. It's one of the examples of his engine/framework. Named "intergalactic", I think.
Yes. I have it in a folder called "gloost_user_checkout_09_06_21" ^^ it's somewhere under /win32/bin
I remember he wanted to make this game especialy for the Pandora, I hope he will continue with this. Game is already great to play onto the PC. :)

Schnatterplatsch said:

You are right, I just found it... cleverly hidden (I did not bother to look into the tutorials folder as the game is much more than that ;) ) thanks
I also seem to be able to build it, but I have no experience with OpenGL - I will upload the whole package tomorrow, maybe somebody is keen on picking it up.

B-Zar: Thanks and thanks for the entries, I remember Golem that looked like a great project.

Gridwars was DEFINITELY one I was looking forward too... same for ZEQ, as I'm a HUGE DBZ fan!!! I'm in the mood to go looking for others that have gotten quiet... Units are getting to the people, so it's time to start waking up the devs around here... :D

Well, with Gridwars Dust on its way, I'm a little less inclined to return to my Gridwars clone, since wermy is doing such an amazing job so far .. but the status is that I had gotten some way into integrating the models made for me into the Wakebreaker sources (forked for this project) and had started to work on the AI and gameplay modes before I left the project .. I could pick it up again at some point, but I think (with wermy on his way) I'd be better suited to focusing on my Pandora synth/music-making efforts in the short term ..

Does anyone remember that intergalactic relax-and-search-treasures-with-your-spaceship game?
What was it called again... It even featured an online multiplayer mode on the Windows demo! I played this for hours!

Hi foxblock, I can confirm that NEON is still alive, barely but still alive. As I just posted in the other forums, the best time frame I can give for a release is within the next month or so. Been really busy IRL so not had a lot of time for Pandora development.

Wolfsclaw said:
Does anyone remember that intergalactic relax-and-search-treasures-with-your-spaceship game?
What was it called again... It even featured an online multiplayer mode on the Windows demo! I played this for hours!

Do you mean Quantum Drive?
Discussion - Website (dead link) - Other

Cameleon said:
Hi foxblock, I can confirm that NEON is still alive, barely but still alive. As I just posted in the other forums, the best time frame I can give for a release is within the next month or so. Been really busy IRL so not had a lot of time for Pandora development.

Thanks for the update :)

NEON
neon%20pandora.png
Last update: 2011-03-30 (link)
Author: Cameleon
Type: Colourful Tetris-like Puzzle game, but different
Additional info: Discussion - Website

Quantum Drive
out.png
Last update: 2010-04-21 (link)
Author: keaft, dflemstr and others
Type: Community driven, online-multiplayer space RTS
Additional info: Discussion - Website (down) - GitHub - one of the creators, dflemstr has since left the community (I marked it as dead as the website and the whole internal discussion forum is down)

Galactic Artifact
GalacticArtifactTeaser4.png
Last update: 2010-01-12 (link)
Author: Trevor Bradley
Type: real time, non-combat game of space exploration
Additional info: Discussion - Website (Windows and Linux build) - Manual

PanMMO
screenshot003.png
Last update: 2010-07-08 (link)
Author: Eniko
Type: A full home-made MMORPG with lovely isometric pixel graphics
Additional info: On hold in favour of Onee-sama Tasukete! Discussion

I also officially hate this forum software now, it seems to be impossible to write a longer and well formatted post which even uses some media - even if one manages to do that it is all fucked up once one clicks the edit button, ffs...

foxblock out

If i remember correct then there was also two other games from a guy. cant remember his or their names but both of games was with a 3d gameplay.

game 1 a puzzle game with a ball you have to move through a track somekind of a labyrinth
something like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sjypz37QYaI
but you saw the ball from behind similair to monkeyball

I know that there's a opensource game of what i'm talking about here but cant remember the name.

game 2 was a 3d shooter where you where flying around some small planets and was shooting stuff.

But i think it was back in 2009

foxblock said:
Wolfsclaw said:
Do you mean Quantum Drive?
Nope, he mean Galactic Artifact! That one was fun.

Back