What I'm Looking Really Forward To, Keyboard-wise ..

torpor

hack hack hack, the little machines fight back
Website
w1xer.at
.. is being able to load up real live old-school emu's, and run a "pure 8-bit" tarball.

my 8-bit menu menu will look like this:

1. oric-//atmos//
2. amstrad
3. synccy
4. atari portfolio

and i will hack those little keys of the pandora, whatever they finally feel like, like it was 1984.

gonna be my favourite SD card to share with the son!

Heh - Yes, finally a way to have a proper ZX spectrum-emulator without having to bother with virtual keyboards and other stuff. Elite in my pocket, for realz :)

What would you put on the Portfolio part? I'm a little curious, since I've just gotten a (real, actual) portfolio myself.

This is one of the reasons I think the inclusion of a physical keyboard is a stroke of genius. Although I'm probably going to have to relearn how many of those old computers work. I'll be hoping for an Amstrad emulator. It was a computer I never had as a child and would delight in visiting a neighbour who had one while we spent most of our time drinking tea while games loaded up. Reliving the happy days on a handheld.

I look forward to revisiting Heavy on the Magick via an Amstrad emulator and finishing it via the 3rd possible route.

I had a C64, so I'm looking forward to that most of all out of the 8-bit micros. :)

Magic Land Dizzy and Short Circuit (you really need a keyboard for this one, to play it properly), wheeeeee. :D

All the BBC B Games for me. The Beeb was all about the keyboard as joysticks never really featured (at least for me).

Moxie said:
Heh - Yes, finally a way to have a proper ZX spectrum-emulator without having to bother with virtual keyboards and other stuff. Elite in my pocket, for realz :)
Meh, oric chiclet keys FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What would you put on the Portfolio part? I'm a little curious, since I've just gotten a (real, actual) portfolio myself.

Actually I wrote a few little pocket games for the Atari Portfolio in my day (look for pgames.zip, in particular swar.com), and it was a lot of fun .. sort of my first pocket-gaming platform that allowed me to write my own apps directly on the device .. kicked gameboys ass! I just wanna have that whole development environment in my pocket again, like the good ol' days ..

Last edited by a moderator:
torpor said:

Actually I wrote a few little pocket games for the Atari Portfolio in my day (look for pgames.zip, in particular swar.com), and it was a lot of fun ...

Heh - Those are actually sitting on mi PC right now, waiting for the arrival of a few memory cards so that I don't have to fill up the ramdisk :)

I played Folidash och Phoenix, too. Particularily Folidash is an amazing feat of gaming on such a small platform. Try, if you didn't already.

Yeah .. umm .. don't get your hopes up too high about my Portfolio games though, I mostly wrote them for fun during long and boring plane rides across the country .. see if you can find the gamesrc.zip file that has the source file for them all, maybe you'll find it interesting .. they were written in Turbo C 1.0 *on* the Portfolio itself, and I've been a huge fan of compiler-included ever since! :)

Did the Portfolio have any built-in system software other than DOS? Would you be able to run all the software through DOSbox?

I have a 200LX which was a later x86 palmtop, it has some quirks compared to a normal PC such as extra interupts and such. The system software is pretty good - it looks a lot like Gmenu or Springboard (the Iphone interface) and has it's own application type (though you can drop completely out of it into plain DOS which is essential for running memory hungry programs). Floating around on the net somewhere is a vanilla DOS version of the system software but I don't think it supports third-party LX applications. Someone started an emulator for the system which included the extra registers and hardware support but I don't think it was finished or has available source code.

I'm certainly looking forward to all these older systems, especially the Spectrum. I missed out on pretty much everything until the 286 and 386 PC era, so I have a lot of catching up to do! I tried some emulation on the 2x, but without a proper keyboard it felt like I was missing out.

mechanizeddeath said:
I'm certainly looking forward to all these older systems, especially the Spectrum. I missed out on pretty much everything until the 286 and 386 PC era, so I have a lot of catching up to do!
Funny.. I'm the opposite way round.

I grew up with all the (real) computer systems, but missed out on the game consoles. My parents would only pay out for something that was educational. Not too surprising that I grew up to be a geek ;)
I'll be busy working my way through all the games that I missed out on when I get a Pandora.

Amiga and C64 will be awesome with the keyboard though. Knowing that Craig and the other devs are also big fans of these systems, I'm certain that this will be one area that the Pandora will excel at :D

I might also have another go at writing a game in AMOS B)

Tripmonkey_uk said:
Funny.. I'm the opposite way round.

I grew up with all the (real) computer systems, but missed out on the game consoles. My parents would only pay out for something that was educational. Not too surprising that I grew up to be a geek ;)
I'll be busy working my way through all the games that I missed out on when I get a Pandora.

Amiga and C64 will be awesome with the keyboard though. Knowing that Craig and the other devs are also big fans of these systems, I'm certain that this will be one area that the Pandora will excel at :D

I might also have another go at writing a game in AMOS B)
I certainly didn't miss out on consoles, I had most of those, although I was usually a generation behind. :D

I am going to dust off my programming skillz, poor as they are. We'll see what comes from it!

Yeah I had a 200LX for a few years too .. really bummed when I lost it, but ah well, had the Portfolio to keep me happy .. sure seems like I've got the same ol 'pocket-computer buzz' going on with the Pandora now as I had in the past with the Atari Portfolio and HP200LX, and hey .. why not, eh? Its the 21st Century, after all. ;)

Back