What Is The Most Impressive Thing...

Russell88

Still Fresh
That you've ever seen pulled off on any GP handheld?

Running versions of Windows?

Decent PS 1 emulation for early games?

Something else?

Russell88 said:
That you've ever seen pulled off on any GP handheld?

Running versions of Windows?

Decent PS 1 emulation for early games?

Something else?
Hmm,. on GP32 I was quite impressed by DRMD, one of the few 16bit emuls running decent in GP32 and very well done. Quake for GP32 was rather impressive at it's time too.

On GP2X, Payback has a quite impressive engine with all these HDR features and stuff. Also fast SNES emulation.

Last edited by a moderator:
recently, the port of Egoboo (Egoboo2x) really impressed me a lot. From what I understand, it's basically using a gp2x version of openGL - which is incredible.

I haven't seen payback yet.

Probably Payback, shows what the GP2X would have been capable of had it been a commercial games machine.

The MMSP2 chipset has its bashers but when you look at what it has been made to do it's pretty good for under $10!

I remember seeing Kid Chameleon boot up on DR.MD full speed with sound on my gp32 for the first time..

Still makes me feel misty eyed.

GPsp in terms of emulation-achievement on the GP2x. The paradigm shift in terms of what was possible after it's release was probably analogous to the original release of Gigadrive, the first megadrive emu using cyclone.

In terms of sheer brute achievement, though? Personally, I'd go with M-HT's port of Albion - despite the lack of any source code whatsoever - by static recompilation. If you'd asked whether full speed genesis or GBA emualtion were possible prior to Cyclone or GPsp, the answer would have been "yes, but it would require someone to make an incredible effort, and the chances of that are unlikely". In my view, the chances of someone actually statically recompiling not only an x86 game, but one that needed a pretty darn good x86 at the time to get a decent speed, without source, would have been sufficiently unlikely just to answer "no".

I vote for MAME on the GP32 (and now the 2X).
Old timers might remember when Franxis was updating this board as he was developing MameGP32.
Great stuff, and to see how the project has matured with every new version keeps impressing me to this day.

I basically only use emulators, so that's all I comment on. I also never owned a GP32.

From the standpoint of a whole work, Franxis work over the years to the current incarnation of MAME4ALL sticks out to me.

Also, Notaz's emulation of the SVP, something that the predominant PC emulators still cannot do, is also very impressive.

GpSP and Payback are certainly impressive. Quake is still great (try some of the more advanced mods). I wish we had Sonic Robo Blast II (open source, based on Zdoom), it could happen, if I got off my lazy ass and ported it, that would be impressive. Also there's Fleshchasmer, not the best, but still a 3D adventure game with some cool features. Also, Mac OS 7 runs pretty good on BasiliskII, try Simcity 2000.

Doom... Ultimate Doom... Doom 2 ... TNT ... Plutonia Experiment ... and FFVI with old version of pocketSnes (new ones are making glitchy sound)

Back