What Is The Usb Port Actually For?

motorollin

It doesn't seem to allow access to the internal memory or SD card since they don't show up as drivers on my computer. It doesn't seem to charge the GP2x. So what is the USB port actually for?

You have to put your GP2X into USB mode and it should show the NAND or SD depending on which USB mode you put it into. It's in settings in the main menu.

motorollin said:
mfk said:
or telnet your gp2x.

Eh? How? Is there a network card for the gp2x?

Hopefully somebody will get the SD-Wifi thing to work some time, then we'll be online fairly handily.

Last edited by a moderator:
Samba Pa Ti said:
it does it over usb, its a pain in the ass to setup because the pc's ip address needs changing
What? No? You need to set a new IP for the new connection (the IP-over-USB-thing basically creating a logical second network card), but you shouldn't need to change the outgoing IP, should you?

Samba Pa Ti said:
it does it over usb, its a pain in the ass to setup because the pc's ip address needs changing
It's not that hard. Actually it's quite simple.

1 - Turn the USB Network ON from Settings --> System
2 - Change the IP Address of GP2X to 192.168.10.2 from Settings --> System
3 - Set Telnet Server option to ON from Settings --> System
4 - Connect your GP2X to PC via USB Cable
5 - Windows will recognize Linux Ethernet Device. Use RNDIS drivers to install device on your computer.
3 - Change the IP of newly installed Linux Ethernet Device to 192.168.10.1 on windows.
6 - Click Start --> Run on Windows and type telnet 192.168.10.2

You are in! Password is root as default.

Have fun! B)

Critical_Impact said:
You have to put your GP2X into USB mode and it should show the NAND or SD depending on which USB mode you put it into. It's in settings in the main menu.
It's the easiest way to connect the GP2X with the PC I think :) (after using an external Card reader.)
Problem is, the speed is very bad, not even USB 1.1 Speed, just something below 500K/sec. I hope, the new Open2X Firmware will have a faster USB Connection.
GPH seems to never have heared about USB 2.0 :lol:

fusion_power said:
It's the easiest way to connect the GP2X with the PC I think :) (after using an external Card reader.)
Problem is, the speed is very bad, not even USB 1.1 Speed, just something below 500K/sec. I hope, the new Open2X Firmware will have a faster USB Connection.
GPH seems to never have heared about USB 2.0 :lol:
I think USB 2.0 is only on the slave port anyway. The USB 1.1 was just a freebie with the main chip so they shoved it onto the ext port I think.

Mark

DanSolo said:
motorollin said:
mfk said:
or telnet your gp2x.

Eh? How? Is there a network card for the gp2x?

Hopefully somebody will get the SD-Wifi thing to work some time, then we'll be online fairly handily.

You could also configure your PC as a network bridge between the gp2x's usb network and the pc's normal network. Then you could put your gp2x on the interweb proper!

charlieb said:
You could also configure your PC as a network bridge between the gp2x's usb network and the pc's normal network. Then you could put your gp2x on the interweb proper!

Would that be wireless though?

DanSolo said:
Would that be wireless though?
I've heard that a new wireless usb protocol has been released recently so I would guess that there'll be regular <-> wireless usb adapters available in the near future, plug a powered one into you gp2x and off you go. Oh yeah don't do it in the UK yet (as if the hardware were actually available :p )

It's probably only be slightly less difficult to make a portable usb hub (i.e. mini bob), hook it up to a wireless ethenet adapter, compile the drivers for the gp2x kernel and configure the device. ;)

mfk said:
5 - Windows will recognize Linux Ethernet Device. Use RNDIS drivers to install device on your computer.
Mine doesn't do this unfortunently, no "new hardware detected" box or similar will appear. :S

Tried installing RNDIS drivers too, but no difference. I only have my default ethernet device available.
There shouldn't be anything wrong with the USB cable either. I use the same one for my card reader and PSP. ( And before I bought a card reader, I used the same cable for my digital camera. )

Burbruee said:
mfk said:
Mine doesn't do this unfortunently, no "new hardware detected" box or similar will appear. :S

Tried installing RNDIS drivers too, but no difference. I only have my default ethernet device available.
There shouldn't be anything wrong with the USB cable either. I use the same one for my card reader and PSP. ( And before I bought a card reader, I used the same cable for my digital camera. )

Is normal USB mode working properly? (Settings --> USB --> SD or NAND)

Tip: If USB Network Option is ON, Setting --> USB will not be functional.

mfk said:
Burbruee said:
mfk said:

Is normal USB mode working properly? (Settings --> USB --> SD or NAND)

Tip: If USB Network Option is ON, Setting --> USB will not be functional.

Cable quality DOES make a difference. Try another cable before you do anything else.

Well, I've had the cable work on the 2X before, but it won't work now, I could find me another cable though and try it. Windows have been acting kind of strange lately and other things have stopped working too, maybe time for re-install.. Heh.

Anyway, I'm at the moment running Ubuntu Feisty Fawn (DualBoot w/ XP), is it possible to get USB Network working for the GP2X there?
( I'm using Ubuntu more than Windows XP, so if I could get it working that would be great. :) )

EDIT: Uhh, anyway.. When I select "USB Network" and change it to "ON" or "Always ON" in my GP2X settings, it reverts back to "OFF" automatically..

Back