What is your favourite fight style? Turn based or realtime?

What do you prefer?

• Turn Based

Votes: 12 38.7%
  • Realtime

Votes: 12 38.7%
  • Other (please specify in a post!)

Votes: 7 22.6%

• Total voters

I voted for other, because, well, I like both, depending on the game/genre.

I don't really play RPGs though, and the only one I did was Pokemon, I thought Turnbased was okay. Maybe consider a simultaneous turnbased, if you want something a bit different.

I was discussing this forum topic with the wife, she's a pretty big gamer and quite into her RPGs. She suggested something that i dont think has been raised here yet so i'm posting on her behalf:

Giving the example of Vagrant Story (PS1) she suggested that a fusion of real time and turn-based might be the best way to go, because in Vagrant Story all the action happens in semi-real-time (dodging of attacks, chaining of moves etc.) and there are no defined "turns" everyone acts simultaneously. But when the player makes his move reality freezes, giving the player time to think and act tactically, opening up the layers of strategy offered by a turn based system. This seems to me to be a very interesting possibility for an RPG because it offers the best of both worlds - the immediacy and reflex skills needed for real-time & also the considered tactical planning of turn based.

all the action happens in semi-real-time (dodging of attacks, chaining of moves etc.) and there are no defined "turns" everyone acts simultaneously. But when the player makes his move reality freezes, giving the player time to think and act tactically, opening up the layers of strategy offered by a turn based system. This seems to me to be a very interesting possibility for an RPG because it offers the best of both worlds - the immediacy and reflex skills needed for real-time & also the considered tactical planning of turn based.
Grandia has been mentioned. ;)

Same there, at least in the first and second, I have never played Grandia 3.

When one of your characters is able to act again, time freezes and you can give him an order, which includes running to a different place on the field

and with a bit luck, the monster that is attacking him hits the air or loses too much stamina for a hit when following him when time flows again,

although it's better to select a (counter)attack that is faster than his or just block in this situation.

You got a fusion of real-time and turn based in many of the complex RPGs too.

You can freeze time in Neverwinter Nights, Knights of the Old Republic, and many more to give orders.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought I had already mentioned pausable real-time. Edit: Nevermind. Keep em coming. All great examples that one should at least watch a little gameplay of on the internets.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back