What is your favourite fight style? Turn based or realtime?

What do you prefer?

• Turn Based

Votes: 12 38.7%
  • Realtime

Votes: 12 38.7%
  • Other (please specify in a post!)

Votes: 7 22.6%

• Total voters

Well to be fair I do love Civilization IV.. the rest are garbage without the soothing sound of Leonard Nimoy's Voice.

please, I REALLY enjoy your discussion, but don't just name Games, most of them I don't know. Tell me more, what you like about a specific game and how the fighting is implemented. ;)

Hi :)

Hi,

Why not a mix of real time and turn based fights, like in Eschalon games ?

Bye, Magic Sam
I don't know this game. Could you show me a good video of the fighting system or would like to explain it?

greetings, Ziz

Combat plays out at your pace. Eschalon: Book I features a turn-based system that allows you to roll through combat as fast or slow you want…make it fast and furious, or analyze every option for maximum advantage.
Everything in this game is turn based, yet it feels and plays like in real time... You should try the demo here for a better explanation ;)

Bye, Magic Sam

I voted 'other'. because I'm a little unsure.

Turn-based is not too appealing to me really, I tend to not play many RPG aside from Final Fantasy, and don't mind a bit of the old turn-based fighting there, but I am one that finds that style can be a little boring --- or just not a big strategy player I guess.

I do really like realtime fighting though, love Soul Calibur, SF, Tekken, Bloody Roar, Thrill Kill... those games are great.

I think like Shenmue said, a little mix up of those styles could be interesting

"Wing Tsun" immediately came to mind, but oh! 'tis about RPG after all :)

Well. There's either the real-time action style where you only control one character, as in Gothic or the aforementioned Diablo for example.

Then there's the party-based system that comes either in turn-based - like FF - or in pausable real-time as in Baldur's gate.

As I see it it the first decision that should be made is whether or not you want to create a party-based game.

The latter usually offer a great deal more in terms of strategic possibilities when it comes to positioning characters on the battlefield with different strengths and weaknesses to get the most out of them.

Pure real-time is less strategic as you only position yourself towards enemies in a way as to not be caught up between them or remove some of them from the battle temporarily via crowd control, the strategy is mostly confined to that and building and outfitting your character between battles.

Having said that , the best experience I had personally was playing the real-time Dungeons and Dragons Online as a single character as part of a group of other human players, mostly as battle-bard, coordinating my teammate's actions via voice chat, providing crowd control, healing friendlies and singling out enemies in melee combat. You have very good flow of battle, have to think and act quickly and diverse characters provide a wide variety in strategic options. So the more strategic options in forced real-time combat, the merrier for me. I like to be forced to make quick, game-changing decisions now and then.

Real-time will require a lot of work in movement patterns, attack styles/speeds/ranges I guess, more like a shooter. Turn based sound to me like a game of attributes and decisions.

Don't know if all that makes sense :D

It depends.

On the go: turn based

At home: realtime

Favourite turn based fighting systems:

Grandia 1+2,

Heroes of Might and Magic 3,

Fallout 1+2

Favourite realtime fighting systems:

Soul Reaver 2,

Vampire - The Masquerade: Bloodlines

Titan Quest

PS: Please edit the topic, it's very unclear.

Last edited by a moderator:
Turn based, or maybe use something like final fantasy 6s and chrono triggers atb system.

Prefer to think of my next move rather than blindly attacking and hoping for the best.

Oh, I have to add a second favorite that's lately been used in pretty much just one game: Frozen Synapse. The combat is turn-based, but the actions are performed simultaneously. You plan a few seconds ahead per turn, simulating the outcomes based on currently available information of the enemies' locations. After both sides have planned their moves, the next few seconds of the combat play out in non-interactive manner. I like this because it's turn-based so you can really hone your tactics, but doesn't have the usual downfalls of one, namely advantage of first turn or advantage of convenient turn.

Out of interest, what's the best freely available turn-based battle game on the repo? A search for 'turn-based' on the RSS feed gives me Wesnoth, FreeCiv and LGeneral.

I dunno, I was quite impressed with Wesnoth - the production values are really quite impressive. But as a strategy game, I found the randomness too great for any great strategical planning.

I vote for turn based for a few reasons, firstly i'm old skool when it comes to RPGs. Second you can add real time stuff like dodging attacks in too, it doesnt have to be a straight choice and you can still have all the layers of stratergy and planning that a turn based system provides. Third having had experience making non commercial RPGs myself in the past i would suggest that a turn based system offers more scope for original and unique battle mechanics (bespoke to your game) to be introduced.

Aside from all these reasons there's another one too, if the game is heavily plot driven and sometimes there is space between savepoints i sometimes use my turn in battle to take a piss before attacking! This is useful from the player's perspective if they've been playing a long time without a break.

Also i must say Battle for Wesnoth rules its Amazing - find the Randomness of the battles quite cool as it adds an element of luck, if things go disastrously wrong you can always go back a few turns.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back