What Is Your Worst Fear About The Pandora ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I knew this kind of thread would turn into an argument sooner or later, thus my roll eyes post on the first page. I was astonished, that it went on civilized. But now you as a mod start the argument? I predict, that times will get worse, and so it is the duty of the 'elder' members to bias the discussion in a positive and constructive way ;)

I have no fear whatsoever. And today I finally got confirmation from my CC company that the expected amount has been charged (even got a good exchange rate, for these turbulent times), to openpandora ("toys etc." or whatever it was it said). So I'm in the system. Maybe there'll still be a redo of the CC charge or whatever, I'm sure it'll go smoothly if that should happen.

Relaxed and content.

I don't want to be refunded and have to pay again, I would like it to be re-routed in the UK system, because I don't want to pay more $, as the value has dipped down a little. I am already at the tip of my budget

that using bluetooth PAN is not as easy and "instant" when configured as it should be.

I want to setup the PAN once, and when booth pandoras BT and my phones BT are on, it should use the PAN for all network traffic to/from the internet.

I am sure this works conveniently with the Xubuntu built you plan, but I hope you provide a GUI for bluetooth networking that fits in with the default menu.
Or better yet, provide this funcionality to game developers.

really. thats my worst fear. not that bad i guess :)

Wow.

There appear to be a lot of people getting very uptight about small stuff!

1. It's a game system. I don't plan to use it that way (much!) but that's what it is. I'm excited about it too, but is it worth getting so worked up about?

2. You (and I!) have PRE-ORDERED a device which DOESN'T YET EXIST. If you want confidence in the final specs or in what it can do, wait until you read the reviews!

3. You (and I!) have PRE-ORDERED a device which DOESN'T YET EXIST. If you want to order something and find it on your doorstep three days later, order something that your vendor of choice actually has in stock!

4. You (and I!) have PRE-ORDERED a device which DOESN'T YET EXIST. This is a new venture. What, craigx's bank got cold feet and isn't playing nice (during the middle of a global economic crisis!)? Unfortunate but not too surprising. Such are the growing pains of a small business. If you don't want to deal with it, wait until the business process has had time to run its course once or twice and get the kinks worked out.

5. Your place in line? Please! Craigx & co. give every appearance of trying to do things as fairly as possible. Hysteria just isn't attractive. You (and I!) have PRE-ORDERED a device which DOESN'T YET EXIST. It'll come when it's ready. If you don't even know a firm ship date, how can you complain about being a week or two earlier or later?

I'm pretty sure that switching banks will be more hassle for Craigx than for 99% of those of us who might have to re-submit our charges. I'm pretty sure it's about the last thing he wants to do right now, before the first run is even out. But if the bank isn't playing ball (e.g., freeing up the cash so he can pay his suppliers and get all the parts in!) he probably doesn't have much choice. Probably the switch is being contemplated precisely so that these units can be delivered sooner rather than later. so that a device which DOESN'T YET EXIST can finally be brought into being and shipped out to happy customers.

Craigx tries to be open about stuff and give us a heads-up about a possible kink in the process -- and all of a sudden the sky is falling! It's all small stuff! If you can't deal with the risk, don't send your $400 to an unknown company in a different country for a product that DOESN'T YET EXIST. Whining doesn't mitigate the risk. If you are risk-averse, on a tight time-schedule, or in need of corporate support, then go buy a locked-down iPhone or something from Nokia.

It sounds like Craigx & co. have matters amazingly well in hand and are trying to do right by us (their customers) at every turn. I am thankful for their vision, their investment, and their hard work. I'm looking forward to seeing the end result, most likely in a matter of just a few weeks!

--Todd

^^Todds comments above

Wise words and well pronounced ..... To all those that are having a heart attack each time a change is revealed I say, if you can't stand the heat, get the hell out of the kitchen!

Craig and Team = 100% behind you guys. Happy to re-order 1000 times, and happy to help in any way possible including investment if needed.

This is one hellava undertaking. Lets remember for the forum, by the forum ... lets support the guys when they need it, they did not ask for the credit crunch !

No I'm not a fanboy (Have not seen the pandora yet) but I RESPECT initiative and drive !!!

Yup. I've preordered, I do agree that more info is always good, but I don't see anything to get het up about. We the customers are at the easy end of this operation.

One more thing - I'm continually amazed at the number of people here who hang on Craig's every word but still can't spell 'craigix'! :p

Just to echo some of the sentiments already in this post; The communication from the dev team is begining to undermine my confidence in their ability to deliver.

I'm involved with large scale project roll outs; and some of the issues that have popped up are coming across rather junior. Just look at the panic and misinformation caused by the doubling of the ram.

The solution is simple. The mechanisms already seem in place and that is update the blog at a regular time. Make official threads clear and concise and not buried in other posts.

If you keep everyone regular informed and updated in a clear concise matter im sure everyone would be that little bit happier.

Thankfully this discussion has become more intelligent in the last few posts. Sure, a little worry is fine, but again like has been mentioned, this isn't a major company. I honestly do not see any huge deal with reordering if I have to. It seemed to me that Craig was willing to let reorders happen at the rate you paid with no loss to you (I think I read that here) - I do also agree that a simple blog post would clear a lot of this up. I'm fine either way as I generally read every post here but it could really help calm some of the panic.

256MB???? I can't friggin wait for this thing... :D

I'm relaxed and happy, looking forward to a new toy in December.
I have no idea what other people plan to use this thing for, but it's definitely a toy for me.

My biggest fear is that somebody influential *cough* will have mandated that the boot animation is creepy eyes opening. :D
(and possibly burned into NOR flash or something equally fiddly and dangerous to change)

When will people stop using the excuse 'its a preorder' to bat away every complaint or flaw?

WarmFluffyUK said:
PoisonedV said:
When will people stop using the excuse 'its a preorder' to bat away every complaint or flaw?
Probably the same day you stop unnecessary posts.

oh-snap.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

To be fair, he does have a point :p

My worst fear is that I'll be one of the people that has to re-order the Pandora. I will then be given the task of trying to explain to my parents why they should pay again for an item that they have already been charged for, even though they will get the money back <_<

(Waits for the LALS DADDYS PAYING FOR IT flames from some people) :rolleyes:

Unless of course I am either wrong about this
Or I am not chosen for the reorders
Or even if there are no problems with the bank after all ;)
To be honest I am really confused about whats going on, so many people are speculating about it all and creating false infomation by accident. Ill just wait for an offical statement from Craig & Co once they know whats going on :)

And Craig.
If people do have to re-order
Can you release a parent-friendly statement about it all please? B)

I have no worrys about the quality of the product though
From what I've seen, it looks amazing
Portable video playing PS1 emulating web-browsing music playing linux running console?
Yum :lol:

todd said:
<snipped>
Would've QFT, but it's a little big to do that. ;)

PoisonedV said:
Come on PoisonedV. The community has pretty much recognized, as a whole, how detrimental your comments are. Thus, your comments are no longer effective. You might as well give up being a self-proclaimed "asshole" and actually be a help. :rolleyes:

How many 'parents' are buying the Pandora? I've seen maybe three people mention supplies of funds coming from guardians. I have some faith in Juniors who have a hankering for technology, but damn...I was hoping for a literal shit-ton of developers pre-ordering this bish.

Basically I was hoping for 3000 people that shared a common interest to contribute back and the 'second batch' people should treat it as a retail product.

Le Sigh

Phawx said:
I was hoping for a literal shit-ton of developers...

A literal shit-ton? That would only be about 15 (presumably rather unpleasant-smelling) guys. I'm sure there are more than that ;-)

Don't discount the fact that the juniors have the time and energy to be developers as well. I programmed games in C, made a tyrian clone, multiplayer pac-man, and other tools when I was 13-16. I didn't have any responsibility except school, no wheels, and I had nothing but time.

Now I'm 27 and I've all but lost my grasp on all languages except HTML. This will be my first foray into linux as I can not afford to completely switch over any of my computers, as Windows machines are required by my work.

This is in fact why I am getting a pandora - as a hobby in hopes that I figure out enough about the system to develop for it.

If Mom and Dad bought it for me, there would be no question :)

WarmFluffyUK said:
PoisonedV said:
Probably the same day you stop unnecessary posts.

You do realize what is so hilarious about your post, do you not?

Phawx said:
How many 'parents' are buying the Pandora? I've seen maybe three people mention supplies of funds coming from guardians. I have some faith in Juniors who have a hankering for technology, but damn...I was hoping for a literal shit-ton of developers pre-ordering this bish.

Basically I was hoping for 3000 people that shared a common interest to contribute back and the 'second batch' people should treat it as a retail product.

Le Sigh
there were a few underage gp2x developers putting out good software.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back