• Same as P1, i.e. Chiclet with rounded keys

Votes: 24 27.0%
  • Chiclet, flat keys with spaces between keys

Votes: 31 34.8%
  • Traditional laptop, small space between keys

Votes: 18 20.2%
  • Desktop style

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Touchscreen (on second screen as per DS)

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other (please post what)

Votes: 7 7.9%
  • None, game controls only would be fine

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters

I do prefer the feeling of the N900 keys to the P1 one. Having 4x14 keys in a grid would be perfect for me. I'd then map ESC, TAB, CTRL, LSHIFT, BKSPC, DEL in their usual desktop positions and FN and ALT somewhere on the right. NB: I hate the loud click of the shoulder buttons when used as SHIFT/CTRL while typing.

Please make sure it has enough keys to handle a Dvorak keymap. The Pandora is missing several keys required for that keymap.

Also, don't make the keys glossy. It is really hard to read the symbols with all of the reflections.

Hard keytops hinged below the bottom of each key for me - like hp calculators :)

There is a lot of good discussion relating to what type of keyboard P2 should have in this thread

From looking at question 3 it seems that my gut feel is correct when surmising that the Keyboard is a highly important part of the Pandora to its users. My guess is that the current Pandora Keyboard costs around $1 per unit, IMHO based on the responses to question 3 it would be a mistake to stick with a similar / identical design to the current model. I've got no idea what sort of improvements to the keyboard could be gained from charging an extra $25 / $50 for P2 but when conducting the R&D I'd be sure to give this area plenty of consideration.

For instance, would it be viable to have individual keys instead of a keymat? This would obviously have an impact on assembly costs of the units but it would allow for custom layouts based on customer needs / desires such as AZERTY, Dvorak etc. There would of course have to be an easy way to assign keyboard layouts as part of the OS but my guess is that this sort of thing although lacking for P1 would not be overwhelmingly difficult to achieve.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a lot of good discussion relating to what type of keyboard P2 should have in this thread

From looking at question 3 it seems that my gut feel is correct when surmising that the Keyboard is a highly important part of the Pandora to its users. My guess is that the current Pandora Keyboard costs around $1 per unit, IMHO based on the responses to question 3 it would be a mistake to stick with a similar / identical design to the current model. I've got no idea what sort of improvements to the keyboard could be gained from charging an extra $25 / $50 for P2 but when conducting the R&D I'd be sure to give this area plenty of consideration.
It's the most important part for me, because C64, icq, email, forum post and sms-writing will always suck on systems without a physical keyboard.

No matter the kind of keyboard: We need background light for it, that's a fact.

^Hmm I've been typing all my life without a background light.

Yeah, I barely even look at my keyboards when I type these days :)

^Hmm I've been typing all my life without a background light.
Me too. But I use the Pandora mostly in my room, also at night and at my Bed and there you see nothing if you are not switch on full room light. Not even my small light and TV on do enough light at night to see anything at the Pandora Keyboard. I always have to adjust the Pandora lid to see anything, because I usualy use the Pandora with 180° open Lid where it doesn't light up the keyboard.

So yes, we NEED keyboard light for P2. 

Maybe if it goes down a keymat style, you can make the keymat semi-transparent and stick a couple of LEDs behind

You know the keyboard is bad when typing on it is hardly any faster and reliable than on a touch screen.

P1's keyboard is too stiff and spongy, and there is no clear indication of input registration. It does not build up your muscle memory very well.

Shapes and layouts are not as important, in my opinion. of cause they still need to be within reasons.

I assumed they keymat was going to be along these lines:

36e76c1f6a0bd77c1601520dc9c5f968_large.png

i.e. made of layers of plastic and metal - not individual switches

^ Based on the dummy pcb video, that's also what'll happen. MAking them as keymats instead of induvidual switches is a lot cheaper. A surface mounted switch of suitable size and actuation force is around €0.1 - €0.2 each in quantity, and then you'll need key caps on that, additional assembly costs etc.. You can see how it quickly becomes more expensive huh?

@ Binky

Maybe I missed something (can't find who is part of the developing team, so I guess you are, baesed on the picture).

So my question(s): are all the buttons part of the key-matrix?

and will the keymatrix be accessable for hardwarehacking? meaning is there room on the PCB to get soldering pads for the matrix directly? That would perhaps be an extreme hardware hack, but if it's planned to have an extra layer for the keys AND there is access to the matrix directly one could think of building other positions/layouts by removing the original key-mat and apply an own layer for a custom designed keyboard (or other sort of controll).

The direct access even don't need to be accessablewith the original mat in place. As one will remeove that mat anyway, it could be somewhere underneth (where at least at the P1 was enought spare room...)

@ Blinky

Maybe I missed something: Is that from actual prototyping? Is that the actual concept?
That was photos of the IcontrolPad 2 prototype.

I assumed ED decided to do his own thing now that Craig has removed himself from the community.

That image is taken from the iCP2 kickstarter page.

I've no reason to believe ED's work is based on the iCP2 - but the fact that the technical guys behind iCP2 chose that suggests its a real possibility.

When I said "along these lines" I meant that it would be a keycap layer, a bobbly foil layer and PCB pads, rather than self-contained buttons.

Nope, I certainly don't want a dome cap keyboard. That's perfect for small devices like the iCP2 or smartphones, but not for bigger devices like the successor. We can certainly make better keys here.

Nope, I certainly don't want a dome cap keyboard. That's perfect for small devices like the iCP2 or smartphones, but not for bigger devices like the successor. We can certainly make better keys here.

Similar to HP Jornada or NEC Mobile Pro?

61044d1298320867-what-keyboard-do-you-have-in-your-car-sitouch-mini-wireless-keyboard-backlit.jpg

That's all I want and if Pandoras successor costs a bit more because of it, I wouldn't have any problem with it.

These keyboards have just gotten a lot cheaper btw.

I've paid 40€ back then and now you get them for 22€.

There are other layouts available, some with the touch pad and mouse buttons in the middle.
FANCY!  :wub:

This is how I imagine a P2 keyboard light, especialy with the flat, dense keys. White also looks pretty good as light, nobody really needs RGB lights.

Any idea how this kind of key light exactly works?
http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/15022-glow-in-the-dark-keys/page-3#entry294181/URL]

Back