Whats Coming For The Gp2x?

christo930

After all this talk back and forth about other machines and machines not even here yet, whats going on for the GP2X? I personally feel there is plenty of untapped power, especially for the homebrewn scene. After all, even large 2d projects well within the power of a gp2x is most likely beyond the resources of most home brew developers. Is anyone working on anything interesting? Is development still going on for the snes and tg16 emulators? One of the reasons I ask, is that I've always thought one of the things that drives the free development of emulators is the challenge of doing it. Squeezing every last optimization out of a piece of hardware has always been a target of free projects. Like writing a windowing system for the msx, or a unix system for the c64. I would think there are devs out there trying to squeeze a few more frames or fx chips or something. You know, bragging rights. The guy who brings full speed snes and fx chips will have major bragging rights. Anything going on for our favorite system?

Chris

For the last few weeks I have been thinking like you. That's why I've decided to write the naughts n crosses (you may know it as tic tac toe) game I have been imagining for ages. It'll really rock.

Dr_Ian said:
For the last few weeks I have been thinking like you. That's why I've decided to write the naughts n crosses (you may know it as tic tac toe) game I have been imagining for ages. It'll really rock.
I'm still hoping you'll finish Arecibo. That game looked awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would totally be developing something if I was any good at any kind of actual programming language. (I can't even connect with Fenix, jeez)

Instead, I'm feeling like there's a bit of a software drought right now. And I echo the wish for improved SNES and TG16 emulation. (I rarely play either because I have to OC to 260 and wear my battery down faster)

CromoZome, L'ilTrooper and a 3D project (on DS and GP2X).

CromoZome needs some bugfixing, I have a friend that wants to make the GFX look better than my crappy efforts.

L'ilTrooper, I'm trying to get to grips with the current source.

3D Project... collab with two friends from uni, not started yet, but should be nice when it gets going! :)

Yes I have had free time recently so I've started working on it again.
Unfortunately here's what it currently looks like when I get it to run:
broken.gif

It's seen better days.

Nr.56 said:
X-Code's T.I.M. ;)

Thanks for mentioning it lol

Project T.I.M. is going to be enormous and hopefully everyone will more or less like it ( it's a load of work for only one person :lol: )

There are another two or three projects coming from my fried brain, but not before Project T.I.M. B)

X-Code said:
Nr.56 said:
X-Code's T.I.M. ;)

Project T.I.M. is going to be enormous and hopefully everyone will more or less like it ( it's a load of work for only one person :lol: )

There are another two or three projects coming from my fried brain, but not before Project T.I.M. B)

I commend you for sticking with it. My projects are *always* small and when they start to grow I shy away. Boomshine2x for example wasn't even planned to have a menu!

I'm writing a pretty fast-paced arcade-like game.. (2.5d?) which should be finished this side of xmas - unfortunately work and decorating have taken their toll the last few weeks... Also I've been delayed by someone I've got modelling the ship (in solidworks(!)) being too busy as well).

It should be fun for a good and quick blast - 'tis a game in the "Eugene Jarvis mould".. and I'm enjoying testing it, so hopefully it will be popular with a few people.

When that's done I can use the routines I've written on my next releases and (hopefully) that'll mean I get quicker with developing. A lot of time has been spent writing sprite & sample loading routines, controls setup, music/sound volume control and saving, etc etc which I can reuse in the future.

Also, hopefully it'll get more people interested in coding in Allegro if I can make my release impressive enough... I'll do my best. :)

What doesn't help is at work I'm in the design phase on one project and coding in two others at the moment; so I'm knackered (and it's my birthday tomorrow so that'll be another day lost). I'm generally coding the game in my lunch hours when I should be relaxing at the pub.. sad eh?

X-Code said:
Nr.56 said:
X-Code's T.I.M. ;)

What is project T.I.M.?

Chris

Im making 3 puzzle games, so far, when people play the only one thats playable, they wont set it down.....

Wow, I've heard so many negative comments about GP2X (and GPH in general) lately, and with so many devs moving over to those OTHER handhelds (you know what I'm talkin' about! :rolleyes: ), it's really great to see that some awesome stuff is being worked on for the GP2X. I'm excited! :D

heh yeah, still working on some things hopefully have a test game by Christmas.

Back