What's The Current Best Torrent Client?

BaDToaD

"Very" Old Timer
Website
cwhippogames.wixsite.com
I'm using bitcomet. Normally my combined bandwidth across a few torrents is 150k plus. However at the moment I have only one torrent on the go and it's a monster 30 odd gig bitch.

/Pauses to check current speeds/

I'm currently uploading at 42k and downloading at a pitiful 11k. OK it varies and sometime the download hits a whopping 20k ;) The end result is I've got 6.3% of this file in over 24 hours which is pretty poor.

So as the title says... What's the Current best torrent client?

All torrent clients will give you just about the same speed if your network is opened up. If you're getting slow speeds, it's either your connection or a low number of (fast) seeds. They may also not be connectable.

I use azureus on Windows and azureus/BitTornado on Linux. They both take up a decent amount of memory, so if that's your main concern, check out uTorrent. But if speed is your problem, you're not going to get much, if any, better by switching clients.

I might give Azureus a go as I've heard lot's of good things about it.

As for michaeljustman all I can say is ouch that connection must hurt. Even dial up on a 28.8 modem is better than that.

BaDToaD posted on Aug 15 2006 at 03:37 AM said:
I might give Azureus a go as I've heard lot's of good things about it.

As for michaeljustman all I can say is ouch that connection must hurt. Even dial up on a 28.8 modem is better than that.
Between it and the java interpreter it takes up a lot of memory. I use uTorrent because of the small footprint.

Last edited by a moderator:
azureus is a memmory/cpu hog, µtorrent is at least as good feture/speed wise and uses WAY less resources.

I still use bittorrent...

I have 10gb bandwidth for downloading and 2 for uploading, I really have to watch out. :(

I prefer µTorrent simply because it's a small footing in resources (disk space, memory, etc) and also because you can slap it anywhere and run it. No need for any setup program or a polluted registry that you have to clean up afterwards. It's also feature packed and fast :)

Oh yeah, and it's freeware and sits nicely in the system tray until you want to inspect how your torrents are doing :)

Squidge posted on Aug 15 2006 at 08:40 AM said:
I prefer µTorrent simply because it's a small footing in resources (disk space, memory, etc) and also because you can slap it anywhere and run it. No need for any setup program or a polluted registry that you have to clean up afterwards. It's also feature packed and fast :)

Oh yeah, and it's freeware and sits nicely in the system tray until you want to inspect how your torrents are doing :)

Word. It's so small and frugal in resources that I can run it while playing world of warcraft...and not have it impact the game at all. Considering I'm doing this on a budget 2 year laptop, that's pretty good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bitcomet is blacklisted by many torrent programs, as it uses some nasty ways to fool other clients to send it more stuff. Or so I hear.

I'd recommend µtorrent.

I've heard a lot of good things about µTorrent which is reinforced here by all the glowing reviews of it. On Linux I like Azureus but it is a bit of a memory hog. Also, KTorrent has become a really solid client in the latest release, though older versions were really crashy. Unfortunately some private trackers only allow certain clients and since KTorrent isn't widespread enough it's often not allowed on those sites.

Edit: I just noticed that KTorrent has a new version just out. I was talking about v1.2 but I might have to upgrade to 2.0 now.

yeah ktorrent is amazing (alot better than azerus imo) also azerus just hogs ram/cpu so its the only thing yo u can really do while torrenting....on my mac i like transmission (by the people who made handbrake) its a great lightweight client...

Back