What's Up With You Guys?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do agree. A couple of well-placed band might calm things down. I don't read most of the threads any more. Can't be arsed trawling trough it all. This time last year I was reading every thread and post for the next bit of news, now I mostly just check the file archive every day..
Give it a rest people, please. If you hate GP2X, go find another forum where you can discuss whatever you do like in a positive way.
I think it's a cool toy. ;)

I bet all bashers would find inner peace if they'd venture into a bit of light coding. Seeing something you made run on real hardware is an indescribable feeling, at least for me, that would sure give anyone renewed appreciation for the GP2X as an all-around open playground.

- Alex

Frankly I'm disappointed with the system.

The build quality, the firmware, the specs, commercial (not homebrew) games like Payback, all sub par in every respect, its like the system was a good idea but nothing was patched fixed and thoroughly tested. Frankly I’m tired of things just not being good in the first place or even SOON and always having to be patched fixed and updated later later later instead of just WORKING like a real system. I am not counting howbrew which is projects on peoples own time, but promised features by GPH and others official things that seems almost like lies to me.

I mean am not trying to bash any homebrew devs, but in regards to Payback in which its supposed to be a COMMERCIAL one shot one go game by a team of people, and it NOT FUNCTIONING CORRECTLY nor some of its promised FEATURES working when released, It just seems sloppy, no excuses, and it also damages the reputation of the 2X even further. If your going to make a game as big as you say your going to make it, take your time or don't try it I say.

I mean the main games I am primarilily trying to dev for on the 2X is 3 games, Wolf3d, Quake and Doom which all are already or are soon going to be ported on the other systems wich all have the ability to entertain me more. I mean just giving so much slack to a system like just isn't cutting it.

Every day I used or let people use my gp2x in public and around friends, everyone could simply not stop complaining about it, its feel, its screen its battery life, even with some of the well made commercial games (again not homebrew) like the Payback demo, it was an easy turn off for people when compared to a game as simple as a game LIKE Mario 64 for DS. I mean It’s just the truth for me and although games like Payback is still likable by some and by a great deal of GP2X fans, Thrown into a mainstream environment it gets mauled. I could only keep the "well screw them" attitude to my friends for so long before I finally just felt left out and alone refusing to buy the other systems which looked so fun to them. This is what TRULY made me feel bad about the system.

Honestly I never seen another system where you had to "squint" so much just to find it cool where you can just open you eyes and inspect the DS in every aspect and be at the very least find it comfortable for the most part.

I mean I just think in the time span the gp2x had it needed to fix itself quickly before what happened, it got trampled by other systems.

This is what I think, I'm not forcing this on anyone I'm just like everyone else just sharing what they truly feel after waiting just too long.

I mean just because I’m sharing what I feel doesn't make me 15 years old nor does it make me a evil, sure many of you may disagree with me but I am just giving my perspective that i think many other people believe too.

I will continue to be a dev and will continue my projects, if I can find ways to port what i have for the 2x i will try in order to share to you all but as a system that brings a sense of satisfaction to me personally I don’t think it really does anymore.

Again I am just sharing what I feel I’m not pressing it on others, If you all from now I look at me as evil then I’m sorry, I just feel disappointed. I will continue if I can share what I have to you all but my energy will be spent on other things and the 2x will come second.

Hydra,

Obviously, this has been in motion for quite a while. Considering how development in GP2X software has been minimal over the past few months and how (supposedly) great things have been achieved on other platforms (read: PSP), I'm not terribly surprised about these things happening as of late. Some people obviously tend to be one-sided, interpreting the world as black and white where in reality there are a hundred shades of gray in between. Combine that with them being insecure and you've got the reason as to why people jump ship when circumstances are in the favor of something different -- in order to avoid having to admit being "wrong" (... about their system being inferior in terms of whatever they consider important, hardware specs or otherwise) as this is... unpleasant and seen as damaging (essentially admitting you're "inferior").

Personally I've been less interested in my GP2X as of late as the initial rush provided by nostalgia's worn over. Sure, there are games available for the platforms emulated that I'm able to play without being backed by nostalgia, but I've come to realize the gaming I found appealing ten years ago isn't as great as I remember it. Add the whole aspect of the GP2X's pretty unremarkable build quality and various other practical issues such as the stick being bad (I'm not terribly bothered by this myself to be honest, but I guess I can see why other people are) and the unit being physically unfit to be used in environments I normally do portable gaming (the cap will pop off if I'm not very careful in putting it in my pocket or use a carrying case which I find clumsy) and you've got why I find it inconvenient to carry it with me.

Initially, I didn't have any other current generation handheld to compare it to as the only handhelds I'd owned prior to it were a GB and a GBC, but as soon as I got myself an NDSL as well and started using it in situations where I'd previously used my GP2X I realized what an enormous difference there is between the two. It would be hard for me to revert to the GP2X at this point, I think. Unless something miraculous in software comes along that's good enough for me to overcome its deficiencies in design, I don't think I'll be using it much. It's a shame, actually...

Hi, (clone of?) Epicenter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Evil I bought my GP2x almost 5 months ago and I've been very happy with my purchase.

So far my favorite system on my Gp2x is NeoGeo.

It would be cool if we can play fullspeed the 2d Games of the PSX on the PSX emulator :rolleyes:

In response to all the bashing, I spent a couple of hours last night playing some of the new homebrew that had been released lately. I had a wonderful time with some lovely new games (e.g. Blingo, Corny Carrot, Ghostpix, Drill2X), the amazing Descent port, and had a bash at some old faves (Carrier Command on Atari ST and Defender 2 on 2600). It all reminded me what I love about this little gadget.

Where the hell is our Commercial BOB/Stand already?!? It's been over 3 years now ...

... oh, wrong thread ;)

Thrown into a mainstream environment it gets mauled. I could only keep the "well screw them" attitude to my friends for so long before I finally just felt left out and alone refusing to buy the other systems which looked so fun to them. This is what TRULY made me feel bad about the system.

So, peer pressure? Your problems seem to center on Payback (which I have no fondness for either--it looks lovely and plays quite well, but it's not my thing) and the lack of commercial software. The GP2X was never meant to be a mainstream competitor, it's really for enthusiasts and open source sharing.

I'm not diminishing your personal feelings though, just that it's obvious the DS/PSP woulld be better suited for you. They have that mainstream wow factor, sure, and you can be 'in' with your buddies (strangely, my friends think this odd Korean Linux handheld is far cooler than their DSes/PSPs--but then I have weird friends).

edit: personally, I'm not big on GP2X commercial software at all -- unless it's micro-transaction stuff, $5-$10 at the most. That's not why I bought it--I don't have time to spend a lot of time on a game to justify its purchase cost. I have, however, given well over a hundred bucks in dev donations for homebrew stuff I enjoy using.

HydraLancer, one of your main dissatisfactions comes from the lack of *great* commercial games. Let's admit it, the GP2X is for dev enthusiasts and those who want to tag along and see what cool things the devs deliver in due time. You can look at the GP2X commercial games as either incredibly polished homebrew works, or as a side bonus that isn't one the system's focus points.

Again, most of the problems you complain come out of comparing the GP2X with the DS. The two are not supposed to satisfy the same needs, but rather complement each other, if the user wants both. You seem to prefer the DS, nothing wrong with that, as long as you realize that the GP2X was not made for commercial software, not of DS's caliber anyway. How many people do you think worked on Payback? I bet less than 10, which is a whole lot less than a DS programming team...

This whole debate is a sticky mess, there's no elegant way of getting a point across without being biased in a way or another.

- Alex

Glad to see sooo many guys here still thinking about the gp2x the same way I do.

It's a unique nice little unit. Yep, GPH are basically doing everything wrong they can, but still the gp2x is... well, it's a device I actually like. Like a C64 or an Amiga. A PC is just a PC for me, an Amiga is much more emotional for me...
Same with the gp2x. I like it. It's cute somehow...

But... I know it has flaws. I know not everybody likes it.
I just cannot understand how guys that DON'T like it keep bashing here at it. Why don't they simply go away? It would make much more sense for me.

As for PSP... well, even if it would have perfect emulators: I once started a PSPArchive. I tried getting into the scene... but the scene was full of idiots. Bashing at devs because their programs had bugs.
I'm happy we have such a cool community here... except for a few bashers...

If it's a problem for the site owners/mods then the whole situation could probably be killed with just a couple bans. Unless of course you're including those of us that have been enjoying our recently rejuvinated PSP's in the Other Consoles section.

I'm not sure why some people feel threatened by progress on the PSP. It's a good thing for the GP2x because it results in new ports. So what if a dev is having some fun with the PSP right now. It's highly unlikey they will abandon the GP2x and go dev for the PSP, and if anything they might get inspired to improve the GP2x ports.

I think the recent praising of the PSP/PSX emu has given a bit of fuel to the GP2x haters. I also think it's important to differentiate between the GP2x haters and those of us that just enjoy our PSP's.
Well said.

Yes, I have been enjoyong the psp the last couple of weeks, but I have flirted with other consols in the past but always return to my gp32's and last year my 2x. I love the 2x, its unique, quirky and has such a wonderful, friendly community.

I will never stop supporting the gp, but I have been a little annoyed of late with the constant arguing, flaming and basic discourtosy to others in alot of the threads. I know I may not post that much, but I do read alot.

Here, we should all support the console and company. Yes, we all know it has its flaws, but what console dosn't!

I mean really, i'm 30 years old now, I went through the Spectrum/Commodore64/CPC464 is the best argument in the playground many years ago, and I do not want to go there again. Most of of us are mature and have made our own choices about the consoles we use, so lets just enjoy our unique system with a unique community. :)

P.S - I was for the spectrum :D

Put the fear of god into them Ed, a couple of bans here and there won't hurt anyone :)

- Alex

I just cannot understand how guys that DON'T like it keep bashing here at it. Why don't they simply go away? It would make much more sense for me.

Superiority complex. "I have realized this and that, you have not, therefore I have to keep bashing something I associate with you in order to brand you as inferior"!

I agree as well that the recent hype with new firmware for the PSP will most likely be short lived as Sony will most likely find an ingenious way to squash it yet again.

Personally, I bought a GP2X because it does everything I want it to do and nothing I dont. I applaud the effort of our many great DEVs in getting so much working on this unit thus far, and I agree that we've only scratched the surface of what can, and will be done in the future.

On many occasions, I've had the opportunity to show off my unit to folks who have either a PSP or a DS and almost to a one they stared open mouthed at what my unit was capable of right out of the box. Many of which were quite knowledgeable about the emu/homebrew scenes for each, and wished they had heard about it before shelling out all the money they did, to dupe their systems into doing half as much.

The PSP owners quite liked the crispness of the QVGA screen, and bemoaned expensive memory sticks compared to SDs. Most realy liked the ability to use rechargables, either because of long recharge times with no gaming or had purchased a second battery pack for a stack of cash. The DS owners bemoaned having to flash their units or buy a Supercard/M5/+a Passme+an SD card or mini SD cards that cost twice that of regular SD's, and envied the number and quality of the emus and the ease of getting video on the GP2X.

Many of the people who got WIIs for Christmas and started downloading retro titles from the virtual console were more than surprised that I had them already in my pocket, and asked to check out this or that title for PC Engine or Sega to see whether or not they wanted to pay to play on their WII. So I hooked up my TVout cable and let them have a go.

That aside, I love this little unit. For my purposes its ideal, since I'm more into great gaming, than the latest trick knockoff of last years titles. And for great gaming, the GP2X has it in spades! ;)

Ed I am in full agreement with you on this point. There are quite a few here who completely flame the GP2X, saying things like "Oh the stick is useless", "The new firmware takes too long to boot so it's pitiful" & "The screen viewing angle is awful". Every tiny downside is highlighted and never the good things happening :angry:, and then they say "Well we're only providing a balanced argument!" to coin a phrase "Bollocks you are".

I think I speak for most here when I say, we don't care about the GP2X's little niggles, it's a fantastic little community based handheld that you "yourself" can do more with than you could ever do with the PSP or DS, and so on... I would never be able to write software for the commercial systems, but I can for this, and for me this is just one of the many reasons why I love the GP2X. It really feels like I have my old speccy in my hand bag, only updated!

Yes I have a PSP, and I think it's brilliant for commercial games. And that's about it for me, and I am not going to list my gripes about it as I don't want to start yet another O'rrible flame war.

To the GP2X flamers, and you know who you all are, why don't you just bog off and leave us alone. We had a nice little community going until you kids showed up. This forum is intended to support our handhelds, help others to solve problems with it, devs help devs and last but not least, be excellent to each other, er wait, that's Bill and Tedd, but you know what I mean.

Please stop the endless trash, stop repeating your gripes over and over, once you have said it once, that should be it. Stop turning every interesting thread into your own personal little sneer.

Now us mods try and police the place, and when we dish out the punishment the trolls come out and shout "Wow he was only expressing an opinion!"... Well that is fine and Dandy, but we are really trying to be fair. I think what I am saying is you are free to express an opinion, but not over and over again :blink:.

I bet all bashers would find inner peace if they'd venture into a bit of light coding. Seeing something you made run on real hardware is an indescribable feeling, at least for me, that would sure give anyone renewed appreciation for the GP2X as an all-around open playground.

- Alex

Well said Alex, can't think of anything better myself. The ability to make my own games was one of the main reasons I wanted a GP2X in the first place.

I know I'm off subject here, I've been following this post and I'm to lazy to start my own thread. Does anyone know if anybody has released or working on an emuboard (Erricson) similar to what was released for gp32? Inly ask cause it is a lot easier to use than some virtual keyboards in some of the emulators.

Superiority complex. "I have realized this and that, you have not, therefore I have to keep bashing something I associate with you in order to brand you as inferior"!

bah nevermind. i didn't have anything nice to say though :)

To the GP2X flamers, and you know who you all are, why don't you just bog off and leave us alone. We had a nice little community going until you kids showed up. This forum is intended to support our handhelds, help others to solve problems with it, devs help devs and last but not least, be excellent to each other, er wait, that's Bill and Tedd, but you know what I mean.

It takes two to flame, it would help if so many people didn't rise to the bait, all it takes is a topic like "Is the GP2X crap or what?" and you can guarantee a couple of hundred posts.

Don't feed the troll!

The problem is there is a pretty clear image, in my mind anyway, of the type of person that will appreciate the GP2x and it is most certainly not the mainstream consumer. It's inevitable that whenever these people get their hands on one they will not be happy. (I also find it bizarre that the direction the new firmware took is to try and attract more of these people to the GP2x. Why not benefit the loyal existing users instead?)

The sheer fact that people compare it to the PSP or NDS just proves all of this. They should be comparing it to other obscure devices considering it's basically just a media player. I think the GP2x does a very nice job at providing fun gaming if you consider this. There's no reason to be offended or take it so personally though if someone doesn't like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back