What's Up With You Guys?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I'm off subject here, I've been following this post and I'm to lazy to start my own thread. Does anyone know if anybody has released or working on an emuboard (Erricson) similar to what was released for gp32? Inly ask cause it is a lot easier to use than some virtual keyboards in some of the emulators.

The Chatboard was a great little addon, but it was pretty unwieldly in practice. Getting a breakout board to use a mini USB keyboard would probably be the best bet, but then those emus would need to support it. It would no longer be portable, either.

The chatboard's main problem was that a short cable connected it to the unit. I think it would've been more effective with a stiff brace connection so that the console+keys became one extended unit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm coming from the GP32 which I bought, cause I wanted to have a portable OGG-player (something even today is very uncommon...). When I first got my GP32 it only had a few emus, very poorly compared to the later standards like the emus from Ryleh. We NEVER thought it would be possible to have a MegaDrive/Genesis emu or SNES one... But after some years, we had them both and with very playable fps.
So, now with the GP2X I'm still missing the "eliteness" of the community, the closeness, knowing nearly everybody here. I was bashed by the sheer number of new posters here in the forums!
Just give the GP2X it's time, like a good whine it has to mature, relax, have little play with Giana Sisters in VICE and enjoy your real life!!

(I also find it bizarre that the direction the new firmware took is to try and attract more of these people to the GP2x. Why not benefit the loyal existing users instead?)
Oh I don't see the harm in a few videos to brainwash the masses into becoming programmers, gadget freaks and retro gamers.... :) Maybe we'll get a few more devs out of it?

Edit; added 'becoming' these things don't happen overnight.

some people are too greedy and want more more more.

i am in thanks to all involved/ex-involved with the gp32/gp2x- you know who you are ;)

There are a few guys who like to Hijack any thread or simply try to bash down the gp2x, without even thinking about anything.

Is there a Sony or Nintendo brainwash going on?
No, people just have differences of opinion. Everyone who isn't crazy about the GP2X isn't a rabid PSP or DS fanboy. That's a very closed-minded point of view. Different people may have divergent opinions, and that is something you have to accept. Banning people and locking topics whenever they drift from the topic of how awesome the GP2X is, is completely unacceptable.

I assure you, i'm not Epicenter.

I find it strange that just because theres another person that no longer feels as interested in the 2x anymore that you associate them with someone else.

Although i cannot help that Epicenter is mostly aggressive as of late, i tired to make my post the least disrespectful as I could nor did i target any one person in specific. I tried to talk about the system itself and what was advertised and promised for my money as a whole.

I still respect the devs out and there efforts, i as one person not as an all imposing voice just plain am not interested anymore in the system as a dev myself thats it. If Evildragon wanted to know what was wrong with everyone who dislikes the system then this is my response coming from that side of the spectrum.

I mean as an open source system the people are great, stuff is fresh, and the community is great but i just cant help but feel dissatisfied with the way the hardware feels after putting something on it (a homeade game that i made for example). Its like making an epic special effects masterpiece but only being able to watch it on a crappy VHS with no autotracking, the meaning just gets lost somewhere along the line.

Although I do in fact find there to be a lack of commercial games i guess thats not primarily what i was trying to get across. What i was trying to communicate is that a lot is promised with the hardware and i felt not a lot was given and i feel cheated, especially having a first edition. I guess i wouldn't feel as bad if I only had the MkII in the First place. But I guess i just "dealt with it" too long before just feeling like i shouldn't have had to.

One thing though that everyone must realize is that in order for GPH to make money, which is what there mission is, they must attract people to but the system, and eon of the possible people is the people that looks at one of these banners on these sites and buys the system because it perhaps looks cool the mainstream gamer perhaps may be this person. With the new firmware GPH seems to want to attract more of this but the thing is the system as a whole in order to survive must hold on to these people, its not really supposed to be a "club" of sorts for just hardcore homebrew. The systems sloppiness just seems to just break most of this all apart. If someone complains and you brush them off you must realize they wanted to be with the "in" as the system advertised but all they felt was dissatisfied.

Saying that I will leave this topic be I respect you rules and will no longer continue on this topic but i felt that I at least needed to say that much

Hydra,

What I like most is the community. If you have a look at some of the forums for other boards, it drives me nuts. There are rarely interesting or intelligent comments. Some of these boards receiving interesting and frequent news updates, but the community seems overwhelmingly immature.
Just take a look at this thread, most members here have written a few good paragraphs whereas you'd be lucky to get one paragraph sized entry from over 100 posts on some other boards

Picking out dificiencies is natural for people; we love to complain, right? On the flip side, people also love to compliment, so you are going to have to expect boths sides of the story.

Okay, I started one of the threads, 'Blasphemy... New Favourite = PSP'. It was true. For the first time in the history of my handhelds, the Sony thing was my favourite, but it didn't mean I would drop my black and white GPH babys!

I'm guessing what ED was saying was partially because of this thread and others like it, but other than the control, I really love the GP2X in every aspect. Okay, I know the stick. I've bought DaveC's DPAD mod, but I'm not really a hardware guy. They've been sitting next to my laptop here for months now. I'll take the plunge and mod it.

I don't bash the GP2X, I just write what I feel is how I feel about it. People have got to have their say. I don't think banning people is the answer. Just let some things run their course and I'm sure things will sort themselves out.

When I owned an Atari ST "we all" thought the Atari was the best machine ever and there was not a second of a doubt that the Amiga or a PC was better. Ok the Amiga had some better graphics, but it was only for kids playing games. We Atari users had a monochrome monitor for serious business too.. We had the best of both worlds.
There were not much users that had an Atari and an Amiga to compare the 2, because we had no money or interest to buy 2 computers. This way there was a real community feel and even though the community wasn't always right, you felt part of something better. I'm sure the Amiga guys felt the same :)

This community has a bit of the same spirit as the old Atari - Amiga time. I love it!

The only downside is that people here tend to have a GP2X and a PSP so the "enemy" is between us. I'm sure you can play a lifetime playing one of them, why own both? The only reason I can think of owning both is if you're a developer trying to port a piece of PSP software.
I hope every PSP user here looks at the PSP and his GP2X and chooses. Sell one of the two and choose, make up your mind, you can't play both the same time!
If you sell the GP2X, fine, we don't care, hopefully you sell it to someone who appreciates this great device.

Saying that I will leave this topic be I respect you rules and will no longer continue on this topic but i felt that I at least needed to say that much

Hydra,

Bye!

B)-->
b._.o._.b said:
When I owned an Atari ST "we all" thought the Atari was the best machine ever and there was not a second of a doubt that the Amiga or a PC was better. Ok the Amiga had some better graphics, but it was only for kids playing games. We Atari users had a monochrome monitor for serious business too.. We had the best of both worlds.
There were not much users that had an Atari and an Amiga to compare the 2, because we had no money or interest to buy 2 computers. This way there was a real community feel and even though the community wasn't always right, you felt part of something better. I'm sure the Amiga guys felt the same :)

This community has a bit of the same spirit as the old Atari - Amiga time. I love it!
This is spot on.
B)-->
b._.o._.b said:
The only downside is that people here tend to have a GP2X and a PSP so the "enemy" is between us. I'm sure you can play a lifetime playing one of them, why own both? The only reason I can think of owning both is if you're a developer trying to port a piece of PSP software.
I hope every PSP user here looks at the PSP and his GP2X and chooses. Sell one of the two and choose, make up your mind, you can't play both the same time!
If you sell the GP2X, fine, we don't care, hopefully you sell it to someone who appreciates this great device.
This is totally ridiculous.

epicenter said:
Banning people and locking topics whenever they drift from the topic of how awesome the GP2X is, is completely unacceptable.
Oddly enough in most other forums, threads are locked when they - er go off topic. Usually minor straying is allowed of course, its a judgment thing.

More thoughts
a mini USB keyboard
I was actually thinking of modding one to be a sort of docking station. I was going to add an Sd card slot in (cheap 30e mp3 player), a usb host port(Wifi +battery/psu), mini jack and video out. Then I realized I'd have to develop my own word processor too. (Is there one??). Oh yeah, and for some reason I'm attached to the rubber ext port cover. I did think it would make a great bob though.

Which is of course all a bit off topic... So eh well what is up with me... the sky is usually a good indicator of the 'up' direction for me... Sorry been playing too many click and points...

edit; added quote so it would make sense.

B)-->
b._.o._.b said:

Hopefully you're joking in the spirit of the old ST/Miggy or c64/Speccy clashes.

If you're serious, then that's the wrong attitude to have, mate. You could use, for example, a DS for commercial software, a PSP for playing PSX games, and a GP2X for old systems and homebrew. Nothing bad about that.

btw to be fair, the only real GP2X "basher" lately has been Epicenter. Sam has had a weird 3D turn, but that's just Sam, and even JaqMS has been behaving. Everyone else has had opinions but haven't uniformly denigrated the machine for the sake of it. Still, it's good to see the support is still here :)

my 10 cents...

I have all handheld, my favs are in order:

DS
Gp2x
PSP

I play more on the gp2x than my PSP

I'm an adult, i can read between the lines on the rubbish posts and ignore them.
I know what i like and the DS, for me is ace, but for every thing else its GP2x.

Couldn't live with out it..

The real test....

my 9 yo daughter would rather play on gp2x than the psp

nuff said

If you're serious, then that's the wrong attitude to have, mate. You could use, for example, a DS for commercial software, a PSP for playing PSX games, and a GP2X for old systems and homebrew. Nothing bad about that.

btw to be fair, the only real GP2X "basher" lately has been Epicenter. Sam has had a weird 3D turn, but that's just Sam, and even JaqMS has been behaving. Everyone else has had opinions but haven't uniformly denigrated the machine for the sake of it. Still, it's good to see the support is still here :)

I love Epicenters way of commenting, because it's obvious this guy is too much of a perfectionist to be human. He will not harm this community. I think it's something different when there are negative vibes (and I'm not talking about bashing here) from the community itself. That's really bad and contra-productive.
If you are starting to feel negative about the GP2X i'd rather see people leave here than stay and preach crap.

Of course I was exaggerating a bit, just to make a point here. Still believe you're an idiot if you've bought a PSP :p

B)-->I love Epicenters way of commenting, because it's obvious this guy is too much of a perfectionist to be human. He will not harm this community. I think it's something different when there are negative vibes (and I'm not talking about bashing here) from the community itself. That's really bad and contra-productive.
If you are starting to feel negative about the GP2X i'd rather see people leave here than stay and preach crap.

Of course I was exaggerating a bit, just to make a point here. Still believe you're an idiot if you've bought a PSP :p
[/quote]
I bought a PSP and I now dev for the GP2X. What was that famous poem:

How lonely is the idiot,
who doesn't give a damn.

I wish I was an idiot,
My god, I think I am!

GIGGLES.

Got a GP2X because of the freedom that was associated with it. I know it has some niggles, but I knew things might not be all plain sailing when I bought it (I got a first edition)

I have a NDS too and I think it's also a great machine. My 2X is for devving and emulation my NDS is mainly for commercial games, although I have a backup device and I intend to do some devving for that platform also.

The main difference in devving for both platforms is that on the 2X I could legally release a game and charge for it without having to get a licence from a publisher. With the NDS I would have to hope some publisher would like my game enough to cut a deal with me to get me a licence to release it.

I'm not saying I have any commercial quality games up my sleeves just yet, but at least that freedom is a comforting one.

I assure you, i'm not Epicenter.

I did not think so either. I was referring to what you wrote about peer pressure... go figure.

btw to be fair, the only real GP2X "basher" lately has been Epicenter. Sam has had a weird 3D turn, but that's just Sam, and even JaqMS has been behaving. Everyone else has had opinions but haven't uniformly denigrated the machine for the sake of it. Still, it's good to see the support is still here

As for mr Epicenter, it should be obvious he's devolved into a troll. When countered with a proper argument (see here for instance), he doesn't bother to reply with substance.

Yeah like somebody said , this is like when we were on the late 80s early 90s I had a MSX, the nicest system in 8 bits (better than some Amstrad, Spectrum ,C64 :)). = MSX wasnt the popular but i liked it.

Then I went to the Amiga and the same people didnt like it cause it wasnt very popular where i lived. Everyone had a PC and Commodore was diying. = Amiga wasnt the most popular but i liked it.

Now this is the same the GP2X is not the most popular but i just love it in the same way than my Amiga 500+. (MSX It got on my nerves on the end, when all my casettes were broken XD)

I belong to the minorities.

PSPMan face it, We are Special. You are not, you are commercial. ;)

If you don't have anything constructive to post other than harping on the same old problems which have been pointed out time and time again about the GP2X this and that... seriously just piss off, go write a blog or something like that wierdo who wanted to sue GPH, GP, ED and Craigix.

I'd rather just see whats new and whats advancing for the GP2X in general discussion rather than seeing these lame arse ooh it should be this ooh it should have been that threads. We've got to make do with what we got, and im with the mods for the temp bans if need be atleast that way these stupid threads will die out and serious advancements can carry on.

All the effort you geeks put into your dead donkey beating could be better put to use to helping the community rather than im going back to my PSP ooooh what you gonna do now shit talk.

So like I was saying if you haven't got anything new to add just shut up.

I do home brew work on the PSP, DS, GBA, Game Cube and am trying to get started with the GP2X. I like the GP2X the best because the of environment. The home brew DS and PSP have an advantage with built in wirless and easy berkly socket libraries but only the DS comes close with anything that I like to develop on. Sony keeps trying to kill the home brew market with BIOS changes and other crap. The DS is technically pretty good but when is comes to an environment I LIKE the GP2X does a body good. There are things I wish it had but most of those are wishes not use killers. Of course I am also a Linux fan and that is where I make my job money. I have been interested in a OS project and I think the GO2X is where I will be looking. The community here is pretty good at helping people, some are little harsh but most do a good job. The way things are documented and pt together reminds me of the early linux world where the information was scattered and there was a certain amount of roll-your-own required to make it work. I kind of enjoy that. Of course I am older than dirt so I like things I can change to the way I want. If I can't program it I will not buy it ... but that is just me. (sorry for being so long winded)

Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back