When Deleting A File From Sd Or Usb File Is Moved To The Nand

mvickers03

When deleting a file from SD or USB file is moved to the NAND.

Is there a way to change this.

Many thanks

Delete is via windows ,there was supposed to be a way of perma delete by using function keys but didn't work ,so i don't think there is a way to delete without going to the bin.For the time being take the card out and delete large files on windows or linux via desktop.

No, I tried that my friend. pressing shift and delete does nothing, even tried holding shift while clicking delete in the context menu.

Hm, probably because Shift is mapped to moving windows right now.
You can change that in the Settings Menu of XFCE4.

This is kind of a problem - we wanted to disable the Trash, but right now, this is not possible with XFCE4 - it would need some Hack.

You could symlink the trash to somewhere else. It did not work for /dev/null for me but I guess there is a way to do something like it.

ln -s /somewhere/else .local/share/Trash

Alternatively add a custom action in Thunar and "rm" with that after rightclicking.

EvilDragon said:
Hm, probably because Shift is mapped to moving windows right now.
You can change that in the Settings Menu of XFCE4.

This is kind of a problem - we wanted to disable the Trash, but right now, this is not possible with XFCE4 - it would need some Hack.
In other words, I can't delete anything onto the Pandora without risking to fill and damage the NAND? :blink:
I thought deleted files stay whrer they are and just get an special flag or deleted first bit or so. Why the hell are they copied to the Nand? What is this for a way to "delete" something?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Spirit but not sure what that means I'm new to Linux.

ED were can I change what shift is mapped to in the settings menu please :)

The home directory shouldn't even be on the NAND, and if there's no SD card, there should be a small tmpfs (temporary file system) loaded into RAM with a warning on login. The trash problem might get fixed now, but then there may be some other mis-behaving app that writes too much to the home folder.

javaJake said:
The home directory shouldn't even be on the NAND, and if there's no SD card, there should be a small tmpfs (temporary file system) loaded into RAM with a warning on login. The trash problem might get fixed now, but then there may be some other mis-behaving app that writes too much to the home folder.

Errrm - not a good idea, using tmpfs, you would lose all your settings, etc.
No bookmarks or anything for a browser...

The installed programs use home on the NAND, but that's fine, as they don't write a lot of things.

Last edited:
To me there shouldn't be anything writing files and things to the NAND unless really needed.

If things do it will fill fast and may even get corrupted. Also when you keep writing things to the NAND it will eventually fail and not work at all. It just seems like a really bad idea to use the NAND as an HDD. It shouldnoly be used to install firmware and things that only write to it once then stop.

fusion_power said:
In other words, I can't delete anything onto the Pandora without risking to fill and damage the NAND? :blink:
I thought deleted files stay whrer they are and just get an special flag or deleted first bit or so. Why the hell are they copied to the Nand? What is this for a way to "delete" something?
The problem only arises if you are deleting files through the XFCE file manager. By default it moves deletions to a trash folder just like Windows. No reason to panic. With a custom action you can easily use the rightclick menu.

I think this mythos of delicate NAND is a real bore .. has anyone gotten anything other than trivial hearsay evidence to support the claim that the NAND is so fragile? Has someone done a real drop-dead test with a Pandora, yet, to see just how much effort it takes to break your NAND? Craig/ED/Fatih: please sacrifice one of your virgin Pandoras to this effort so we can put it to bed, finally.

The devices I work on (for the railway industry) also use NAND, quite similar to the Pandora, and we have *yet* to see a failure of NAND in thousands of hours of testing and usage.

NAND quality today is comparable to hard disks in terms of longevity and robustness .. so I don't think its really as bad as the chicken littles say it is .. its a myth, and I long for it to be proven, either way, that the NAND is so delicate.

(Anecdotal evidence from folks who hack around with NAND in general doesn't count, because such hacking always has bugs and rarely ever do NAND-hackers admit their own culpability for 'bad NAND problems'.. I wanna see a burn-baby-burn script sacrifice a virgin Pandora with lots of random reads/writes/erases, over a long period, and see what the *facts* are ..)

torpor said:
Has someone done a real drop-dead test with a Pandora, yet, to see just how much effort it takes to break your NAND? Craig/ED/Fatih: please sacrifice one of your virgin Pandoras to this effort so we can put it to bed, finally.
That would indeed be interesting. Anyone have the specs of the NAND in terms of expected number of writes before failure? I've browsed through the OMAP datasheet but it doesn't say much about the NAND. I guess it's one of the add-on parts.

I would however agree that NAND should really be for static stuff. Even if it's not going to wear out soon, it will eventually. A lot of writes could be saved by stripping some of the "offending" apps (browsers, etc.) out of the default OS and distributing as PND instead.

Every Linux distro I've ever used creates a .Trash directory at the root of any external media for this purpose.
Why can't it just do that instead of copying to the trash in $HOME?

Hey guys, sorry to bump this one, Thanks for all your views and opinions ETC, Anyone have a clue how I can stop this from happening, or how to Remap shift to shift instead of move window, I can't find how to change

:)

I would also like a way to perm delete stuff. Could this just be added to the context menu when you right click?

HackModford said:
I would also like a way to perm delete stuff. Could this just be added to the context menu when you right click?

Not ideal but it will do for now

PokeParadox said:
I fiddle about with right-clicking then hold shift once I have the context menu open... and then click delete... not ideal but it works...

I suppose the alternative would be to configure the bin to not hold anything and to insta delete everything.
:)

Back