When Pyra would be cheaper? When There would be new replacement boards?

The non x86 is not an issue since we can have wine/qemu tandem, but then performance matters. The most blocker aside the price is 32bit processor

People can correct me if I'm wrong but I think the only significant difference between the x32 and x64 chipset is the maximum memory capacity

I think your want to say the right thing, but x32 and x64 are the wrong terms.

Either we talk about x86 compatible processors: x86 and x64 (aka AMD64)
or we talk about ARM processors: ARMv7 and ARMv8

I guess Yuji Sakai wants an ARMv8, not only because of the 64bit, but because it's newer and therefor faster.

I don't know exactly terms on ARM, but I want to have 64bit for memory. there are programs in the wild which feed with enough data heavily fits in 4gb frame, and there is also needed place for system itself. In worst scenario you need 64bit/6GB for playing 32bit game. If mati is right I may want ARMv8. I just want something quick and 64bit.

EDIT: I spotted one :p civilization IV with mod named Caveman2Cosmos. Despite the optimalization it heavily fits into 4GB frame given by WoW (32bit application on 64bit windows) and doesn't fit into 32bit windows with 4GB memory

Read up on PAE, the OMAP5 has a 40bit address bus - that's equivalent to 1TiB.
so it is 64bit on my terms. Yeah I know today 64bit processors have only 48 or 40 memory adress lanes, because it's enough, but the internal architecture is ready for 64bit because it use 64bit adress word. I don't want to use whole 1TB, rather break the sad limit of 4GB. It may be 8GB or if I want more fancy - 16GB and this is rather enough for me. thanks for attention.

EDIT: 48bit adress bus is on AMD64 if I remember properly

so it is 64bit on my terms.
No, it is still 32bit only. Each process still only has a 32bit address space.

PAE on x86 originally had 36bit, it was introduced with the Pentium Pro in '95, 8 years before the first AMD64 CPU hit the market. AMD64 started out with 40bit (K8).

the next processor probably will be 64bit, but we don't need more than a 32bit chip to address the 4GB of memory we'll have (using PAE). future chips can have more memory, since the RAM is on the CPU board. but that's at least 2-3 years down the road from a successful pyra launch.

i've heard emacs can be an issue, there's a limit to the file size you can open with 32 bits (and 64 bits, but it's a higher limit)... but i don't think it's an issue with vim...

He has employees? I know Askarus helps out, but not sure if he's an employee. Nikolaus is paid, but not employed with ED. Global Components does a bit for ED, but they're contracted to. EvilDragon does all this in his "free" time when he's not doing his actual real job.
a conveniently used term easily understood by a non native english speaker. used to simplify the various working relationships between ED and whom ever he is contracting to do various jobs.

Yes arbitrary numbers. Next guess: 75% of original price?
L! O! L! Still at it!

There's only 2 scenarios I can think of atm where you'll get that 25% off:

Scene1: ED has paid off all debts with investors and, in the process, turned over a tidy profit. The Pyra is gaining more and more interest due to heavy, heavy marketing. Black Friday is coming up. ED then teases a possible (but not guaranteed) CPU-board design and launches a Black Friday sale in order to help fund that board.

Scene2: Some random steals a Pyra and sells it for a hefty discount, alongside a free 1.81L bottle of Tide laundry detergent.

EDIT: I spotted one :p civilization IV with mod named Caveman2Cosmos. Despite the optimalization it heavily fits into 4GB frame given by WoW (32bit application on 64bit windows) and doesn't fit into 32bit windows with 4GB memory

Civ4 and World of Warcraft. 2 games that not even the GPD Win can run at playable framerates.

Look, we all want a better CPU-board (well, a good chunk of the community anyways), but you're gonna have to wait for it. For a long time. Very likely longer than 18 months. I'm gonna look like a goober if the Pyra sets the world on fire lol.

You are implying that it necessarily will be cheaper in the future, when it could be more expensive.
With limited supply and an influx of demand when it can be ordered retail, second-hand prices could be the only option.
Prices are fair now, and will be fair in the future I imagine. Where you want to make your pledge is up to you, right now it is the deal that it is.

Okay sorry ...
It just seem I live in much poorer country than germany ...
How I would explain paing so much for such device?
I know it's great, but...

Is there any sense to wait or better hurry up to get one? (I probably could wait for 10% or 15% off)

Last edited:
Okay sorry ...
It just seem I live in much poorer country than germany ...
How I would explain paing so much for such device?
I know it's great, but...

Is there any sense to wait or better hurry up to get one? (I probably could wait for 10% or 15% off)
Why do people always think Germans are rich? The income difference between the south and the north (especcially the northeast) is huge and the basic living costs without any luxury are often out of proportion in certain areas.

The price for this nieche device is exactly what it needs to be with someone on the helm who doesn't do it for profits and wants to have a proper product with an insane amount of feature in a tiny form factor.
If one of the builders of custom notebooks would make this, it would be several times the price but thankfully it's still a community device.
ED is still deep in the red numbers with this thing until a few thousand are sold and he didn't even waste much money but has put it to good use instead of blackjack and hookers in exotic countries like some people do.

@Yuji Sakai no need to feel ashamed, there is nothing wrong with you if you don't have money to buy a Pyra. not everyone on these boards is buying one, because of the cost, and still we appreciate each other's company!

a lot of people here are just a bit defensive regarding the EvilDragon and the hard work he's put in, especially with all the features the Pyra packs in, the transparency with which he designs it, and how he's not making mega profits off of it, so for any price reduction it's unlikely, so you're better off saving up...

i started saving for the Pyra a few years ago, and when it went to preorder that's about when i had enough, so i was lucky! but we understand if there are other more important things that you need to get. (food and housing are very important.)

I have food and housing for "free" as I live with parents... so it's not so bad :p
I was saving money for some time, but I must convince myself I can afford Pyra at similair prices as today.

Could you provide line of resoning for both buying now or wait for better price?
PS: how it goes with handling telephony? could I recieve call without opening the lid? could I call any arbitrary number or write SMS? I guess much of it is on software side :|

Im all for the pyra and even using it as a phone, but I would not recommend anybody using it as their single reliable phone around, the software for that just needs to mature more. Similar thing as using the pyra as a laptop replacement in school, it might work if you study computer science but I still would not recommend it. I would at least try it for a year or so before choosing it as a replacement of any kind.

my 2 cents.

Could you provide line of resoning for both buying now or wait for better price?

Usually with technology it's counter productive to put such a large investment in something (like the Pyra) when it's off fixed technology and not due for release for years (as was the case at the beginning). Technology gets outdated almost as soon as it's released... I recently made that mistake with the Nexus, thinking that it would get the best support and updates direct from Google, and now they've dropped it almost completely for their own Pixel brand.

What makes the Pyra different is the ethos. It's not about the best, cutting-edge tech, but more about the support and community around it. I can still see much passion around the Pandora which is fantastic to see. You're not restricted to a brand or an OS that will eventually refuse to work as it's updated on your older gadget, but free to do as you like with it.

So is you want the latest and greatest tech, this may not be what you're looking for. If you want to invest in something for the longer term that offers an amazing breadth of possibility while not regretting that you might be missing something that other tech does better, then I'd suggest keep on saving...

So what is the concurence, and why Pyra Mobile is better? I noticed Neo900 and GPD Win.
Neo900 is going to have small support and I want bigger device. N900 on which Neo900 is based, almost lost support :(
GPD Win can use Win10 out of the box - cool, can have linux as second system - cool, but it can't work as a phone.

So best pick seems to be Pyra Mobile, but there it seems to be more costfull than the concuring devices, but perhaps it's with a reason.
First I thought the reason is that startin production was extremely costful so the big price was to feed the budget and pay the debts.
Recently I hear from you that it's not the case and the hidden costs were much smaller, as used hardware itself is costly, so makes me sad.
I don't want to hunt on EvilDragon's wallet and Pyra Mobile at once, he deserves big amount of money for making Pyra alive, but I hoped that, it could be cheaper a bit...
@ClockworCoder do suppose think there would be better CPU board in 6months? it not neccessary have to be done from scratch. If it would get 64bit or PAE and have at least 8GB of RAM (or preferably 16GB version) I would buy it almost without considering "yes or not" even if price would go a bit higher (since it would have 4x memory, new tech CPU and probably faster).

The OMAP5 can use up to 8GB, but honestly I think for the most part the 4GB the Pyra will get is overkill, I have been using the OMAP5 devboard for a couple years now and never found any practical application that will drive my Devboard to use all of the 2GB ram it has. 4GB does market better I suppose.

The Pyra already is cheap, iPhones are expensive.
My Iphone 6s was about the same as the Pyra, expect it has 64 gb...
So an Iphone isnt that expensive, unless you wants the newest modell, ...

When everywhere are waiting for the Pyra to be cheaper, than the Pyra want happen, because nobody will buy it yet..

The Pyra costs his amount of money, but due to the upgradable CPU, which means you dosnt need to put the whole handheld in the trashcan and you have to buy a whole new handheld when you need more power.., the price is pretty good..

Also its a Toy for big boys, like a Buggati Venron (when i remember correktly, Buggatti belongs to "Volkswagen" ) ,
Such a Super Sportscar cant make much more thinks than a Dacia per Exemple, but the peaple pay some millions € for it whitout problems,..

Back