Where Is My £200 Handheld?

Hi, I'm a relevant post

This is the first I've read this thread and I really hope that craigx and gang make a DIY option available early! I would love to put it together myself!

I hope craigix doesn't actually make a DIY version because those would surely take time to make that would be separate from the main assembly pipeline... just sounds like it'd back things up even more. Especially with so many people clamoring for one. I like to think it's more of a bluff ;p

It would be a complete waste of time and money as most people would be breaking shit left and right and needing to order extra ribbon cables etc.

I hope craigix doesn't actually make a DIY version because those would surely take time to make that would be separate from the main assembly pipeline... just sounds like it'd back things up even more. Especially with so many people clamoring for one. I like to think it's more of a bluff ;p
I was thinking the DIY version would just be the not yet assembled parts thrown into a brown box or something... no special preparations required :) I mean, anything to get my pandora sooner than later :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know about 'sooner than later'. I'm perfectly content with the fact CraigIX & Co. are working diligently on making a reliable console. Yeah, I've only REALLY been waiting since March but think realistically; You'll look back on the time you waited getting one thinking it wasn't really that long of a wait when you have been enjoying your Pandora for years..

.. Or at least until something better comes along. Let's hope that's not for a LONG time.

RenegadeChic posted on May 27 2009 at 02:00 PM said:
I do wonder if I count as a zealot. I don't really feel it, I am just patient
Well, on that subject let's look at your previous post...

RenegadeChic posted on May 27 2009 at 01:31 PM said:
It really annoys me that people think anyone cares that have been waiting so long and their tragic story of the imact on their lives. I have no idea what Cew27 wants a pandora for other than some sort of confused representation of Ultimate Handheld Power!!!1!11!ONEONE1. Seriously, theres not going to be anything comparable in this price range with such a broad scope of application, if you think you could be fiddling with something better, go and buy it! Oh wait, there isnt.

Noonio, you can only wait til september? What happens then? Do you then have a sudden need for $330? Is that zero hour for your secret plot to end the world where its necessary to trigger it with your pandora? Fair enough if you are only willing to wait that long, but i really doubt it is that crucial you have your money back because it was youd get a refund already.

Quit moaning and get a refund or contribute something constructive. And read all the other threads discussing whats going on with the project before bleating on about lack of communication. Its there, keep the hell up.
That looks more zealoty than patienty to ME, but that's just my personal take.

I thought Craig made an excellent and encouraging post early in the thread's life, but I did wonder a bit about this part...

craigix posted on May 27 2009 at 03:45 PM said:
But there is more to just throwing it all in the case and throwing it in the post.

If you are insanely desperate to get your unit it's possible you could have a DIY build unit sooner than you think - if you are prepared to assemble the case yourself.
Which made me think "You can order a DIY kit - but you're gonna regret it, because there's a LOT more to assembling it than snapping a few bits together!". Again, that could just be me though. Good to hear it's getting nearer :)

I must admit that comments like:

Shaun. posted on May 27 2009 at 02:29 PM said:
I don't blame Cew27 for being angry because being a 16 year old myself $330 is alot.
have been driving me crazy for a while now. I get that youngsters may not earn as much as older folk, but then youngsters tend not to have the expenses that older folk have. We have to pay for mortgages, cars, and indeed the (extensive) costs of rearing youngsters. Why on earth are we MORE likely to have the occasional $300 here and $300 there just lying around? Yes - we may earn more. Or, at least, some of us. But we almost ALL have higher expenditures too, so we don't necessarily find it easier to just throw a fre hundred dollars at an issue and just shrug if the money goes away and the project never comes to fruition.

If anything, we need gaming equipment as an escape from, well, our youngsters... ;)

QUOTE ("Monk")
I get that youngsters may not earn as much as older folk, but then youngsters tend not to have the expenses that older folk have. We have to pay for mortgages, cars, and indeed the (extensive) costs of rearing youngsters. Why on earth are we MORE likely to have the occasional $300 here and $300 there just lying around? Yes - we may earn more. Or, at least, some of us. But we almost ALL have higher expenditures too, so we don't necessarily find it easier to just throw a fre hundred dollars at an issue and just shrug if the money goes away and the project never comes to fruition.

If anything, we need gaming equipment as an escape from, well, our youngsters... wink.gif

hehehe

My 10 year-old daughter has a debt-to-asset ratio that I could only ever dream of :lol:

RenegadeChic posted on May 27 2009 at 08:31 AM said:
Noonio, you can only wait til september? What happens then? Do you then have a sudden need for $330? Is that zero hour for your secret plot to end the world where its necessary to trigger it with your pandora?
It is entirely reasonable to wait until some arbitrary date and then ask for a refund. The one year anniversary is as good an arbitrary date as any other. Presumably if he had said October, you would have made the same crazed statement, yes? What about September of next year?

We can all agree that it's not acceptable to fork over £200 and NEVER get a Pandora, correct?

So, therefore we are not willing to pay our £200 and wait FOREVER.

It follows, then, that we are all prepared to wait some finite amount of time for our Pandora.

If we are only prepared to wait a finite amount of time, then there must be a cut-off date after which we will no longer wait (even if we haven't decided what it is yet.) this cut-off date might be completely arbitrary. In the most abstract no date is better or worse than any other date. (A more concrete thought occurs that I would not want to be the last person to ask for a refund, in any case)

My point is that it's irrational zealotry to abuse someone for making a decision on how long to wait for something that is already many months overdue.

this is dug up fairly out of context. i was trying to illustrate the difference between needing the money all of a sudden out of the blue and simply being unwilling to wait longer than that. it was like.. a week ago and i was on pretty high sarcasm mode.

it was semantics, and indeed in the same post i said that if you arent happy to wait until whenever then get a refund, which is perfectly fine. what i dont get is people whining and saying things like they need something by a specific date and moan on about stuff whilst really not doing anything about it. if we are going to play that game then i needed the pandora 3 months ago and why the hell isnt mine here? we all want it but i think its silly to be saying you have a need by date rather than a date we are willing to wait until. ultimately my post was about not moaning on and on and either DOING something about your impatience like getting a refund or just finding your happy place and waiting like the rest of us.

edit - and so far as irrational zealotry goes, digging up week old quotes out of context to make a point and have a dig shows rather an irrational zeal for trying to defame someones character

RenegadeChic posted on May 27 2009 at 08:31 AM said:
Noonio, you can only wait til september? What happens then? Do you then have a sudden need for $330? Is that zero hour for your secret plot to end the world where its necessary to trigger it with your pandora?
It is entirely reasonable to wait until some arbitrary date and then ask for a refund. The one year anniversary is as good an arbitrary date as any other. Presumably if he had said October, you would have made the same crazed statement, yes? What about September of next year?
We can all agree that it's not acceptable to fork over £200 and NEVER get a Pandora, correct?

So, therefore we are not willing to pay our £200 and wait FOREVER.

It follows, then, that we are all prepared to wait some finite amount of time for our Pandora.

If we are only prepared to wait a finite amount of time, then there must be a cut-off date after which we will no longer wait (even if we haven't decided what it is yet.) this cut-off date might be completely arbitrary. In the most abstract no date is better or worse than any other date. (A more concrete thought occurs that I would not want to be the last person to ask for a refund, in any case)

My point is that it's irrational zealotry to abuse someone for making a decision on how long to wait for something that is already many months overdue.

I think the only reason people have waited this long and are willing to wait longer is because it always seems that the Pandora is almost finished. If they said that it'll take one year to make then I doubt many people would be bothered ordering. The "estimated date" keeps on getting pushed back to somewhere in the near future so people will think they might as well wait another month or two.

exactly. We will never get an accurate date until the final estimation is given. If we were told that it wont be ready till next january then many people would pull out. Chances are we'll be waiting that long anyway (or maybe late this year) but its better business sense to keep us all hanging on by ritually saying that its almost finished.
If you really want one, get off the foums because all it does is drive people crazy... I kicked the habit a few weeks ago and its not until coming back today that ive got all riled up again by reading all the 'where the fuck is my pandora' style posts.

All i hope is that its in my hands by september 5th because otherwise i'll feel like an idiot, but i sincerely doubt it will be released by then.

this is dug up fairly out of context. i was trying to illustrate the difference between needing the money all of a sudden out of the blue and simply being unwilling to wait longer than that. it was like.. a week ago and i was on pretty high sarcasm mode.
Yea, I apologize for digging it up, I missed it the first time around and didn't notice it until someone else quoted it. Then I couldn't resist.
I still think I quoted it accurately. Sarcasm or no sarcasm you were ranting at someone for deciding how long they would wait for Pandora.

Those of us still waiting are doing so out of good faith for the Pandora team. It's not reasonable to rant at people who have a lot of good faith, but less good faith than you. Canceling a Pandora order has been a completely legitimate and reasonable thing to do for some time now.

Would it have been better if I established "context" and quoted Noonio's perfectly reasonable, and polite post first?

hehehe

My 10 year-old daughter has a debt-to-asset ratio that I could only ever dream of :lol:
A delightful response to my return from a long weekend break with my family! Yeah, my kid's only 8 but already has amassed a room chock-block full of goodies. If only he could tidiy it up so it was less obvious where so much of my money went...

and thanks to the younger crowd, for not taking offense at my somewhat cheeky comment :D

Ta

I paid a good five hundred(Australian) dollars for this because the interest rate was incredibly shitty when I sent the cheque over - something like 65US cents to an AU dollar, now it's 80 to a dollar :p Perhaps it's time to go on a buying spree while of Pandora stuff while it lasts!

Guess I'm in the boat where if it don't arrive in the next few months - I'd consider asking for a refund and moving onto other gadgets coming out. But what are the alternatives ...

• SmartQ5 looks okay - lacks keyboard
  • There seems to be loads of talk about Snapdragon devices - some look good
  • I would of ordered the Touchbook - but am in UK and import costs would be horrendous
  • The PSP Go is not a bad device either - if you want it for basic games and videos

I think we will be seeing loads of OMAP and SnapDragon notebooks in coming months - some of which may not have the same value proposition as pandora, but I think some may borrow ideas from pandora.

At the risk of sounding repetitive, people will get put off by yet more delays, with other alternative devices which okay may not be 100% as good all round as pandora, at least they will arrive to market within suggested timeframes, the window of opportunity for pandora will shrink.

I don't think we will see a complete, tested, boxed and sent out Pandora by about Aug/Sept this year as there is too much uncertainty over whats left to be done and what has been completed.

Yeah, I think it's becoming really too long for me too.

I don't think I will ask for a refund because I still want an open and fun linux device (openness is rare)… but I'm tired now, almost asleep.

I can wait until it's either released, or another device comes along that does the same job. If the latter, I'll request a refund.

I seriously doubt the latter will ever happen from a major corporation.

Back