Where Will The Os Be Stored

majamee

Still Fresh
Hi at all,

I like the openpandora project, but there are several things unclear for me:

1.) Where will the OS be stored? I ask because the build in memory is not that much, especially if it should be extendable via repository....

2.) Will the OS be ready at the day the pandora is delievered?

3.) Will the OS be part of the box set you can buy (later)? Or will you have to download and install it seperately?

4.) Is there yet any progress in developing a fitting OS?

I hope I can get any answers. Please also use enumberation for the answer to keep the topic clean and clear.

Have a nice day,
best whishes,
Majamee

ps: Not concerning the OS: is there yet any data known concerning the weight of the OpenPandora?

My best guess:

1) The OS will be stored on internal flash/NAND (possibly with an option to run an OS from an SD card).

2) The Pandora will ship with a working version of Linux installed with other useful binaries included like Busybox etc

3) OS is Linux so that means it is Opensource (free). It is likely that later when an update to the Pandora's Linux OS is made, it will downloadable from a Pandora source for free.

4) Your question is hard to understand. Is there progress in getting the Official OS running? Yes
Can you build your own OS after you get a Pandora, change things and generally configure it to your own purpose (ie "fitter")? Also, yes.

Basically the Pandora is like many other Embedded linux devices. I'm guessing uBoot loads a Linux Kernel from internal flash and then the device drivers are loaded and then other startup scripts are run (ie bring up network devices, setting time/date etc).

Then you have a Linux OS running and from there you can start a windows manager if you want (this is what the Pandora will do).

The OS already exists - Linux. The "distro" that will be shipped on the Pandora will likely be a highly stripped down version of Debian. I'm assuming that you're asking more about the GUI than the OS - the GUI is in development, and we will likely learn about it this week. The OS will fit entirely on the internal NAND flash memory. Any programs you want to install will be installed to SD removable storage - it is unlikely that you will add files to the NAND (unless you are updating the firmware).

Back