Which Open Source Handheld To Get?

Exophase said:
I know this issue has been beaten into the ground, but some of the Caanoo reviews, like Nova's, are coming from someone who seemed to highly favor the platform before it was even out, and it's hard for me to call them totally unbiased. Maybe the controls are fine for emulation of some games, but you shouldn't be quick to accept this just because some reviews say so, especially if the reviewers haven't played at least dozens of games from several different genres. Sorry Nova, but when you say things like how it's the best GPH handheld yet - well, maybe to you; I'm sure others will like the Wiz more, or possibly even the GP2X. There are a lot of pros and cons that have to be considered, and when giving input on this it's more helpful to just stick to the facts and let the person form their own conclusions rather than feeding them a preference..

I liked the Caanoo. And what is a review if it's not the reviewer's opinion? I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "highly favouring the platform before it was out", I was excited for it sure, because it solved most of what I would say the Wiz had as shortcomings.
I have played a variety of genres on it, for your information; not sure if you read the review (looks like you haven't), but included in the SD GPH gave me were beat em ups, shooters, platformers, etcetera. In my review I pointed out that the Wiz was better for fighters, and I don't know someone who is crazy enough about fighters to consider that a deal breaker, but I DID point it out for someone who was. I have owned every one of GPH's consoles, and for me, the Caanoo is definitively the best.

Last edited by a moderator:
b1ueskycomp1ex said:
zeldarocks said:
I was also wondering, should I opt for a Caanoo now, or wait and see if any issues are reported with the initial units? --Wiz's screen failures come to mind.

I don't want to invest in something that could degrade or die on me...

Well it's all a matter of where you feel you're at financially. Something like the Dingoo or the Wiz have been around long enough for reports to have come in. The Caanoo is just shipping now and I would say not too many people have them. Should you wait maybe a few weeks to see if any faults are reported? Why not. It couldn't hurt. At the moment I haven't heard of any broken or faulty Caanoo consoles at all.
I mean, from what has been said on here, GPH seems to have a pretty sketchy track record when it comes to long-term durability... I'm just worried

zeldarocks said:
b1ueskycomp1ex said:
zeldarocks said:
I was also wondering, should I opt for a Caanoo now, or wait and see if any issues are reported with the initial units? --Wiz's screen failures come to mind.

I don't want to invest in something that could degrade or die on me...

Well it's all a matter of where you feel you're at financially. Something like the Dingoo or the Wiz have been around long enough for reports to have come in. The Caanoo is just shipping now and I would say not too many people have them. Should you wait maybe a few weeks to see if any faults are reported? Why not. It couldn't hurt. At the moment I haven't heard of any broken or faulty Caanoo consoles at all.
I mean, from what has been said on here, GPH seems to have a pretty sketchy track record when it comes to long-term durability... I'm just worried

Apart from the Wiz's OLED screen, the consoles have been pretty damn resilient. Plus the Caanoo feels very solid to me. No creaking or wobbly parts.

Nova said:
I liked the Caanoo. And what is a review if it's not the reviewer's opinion? I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "highly favouring the platform before it was out", I was excited for it sure, because it solved most of what I would say the Wiz had as shortcomings.
I have played a variety of genres on it, for your information; not sure if you read the review (looks like you haven't), but included in the SD GPH gave me were beat em ups, shooters, platformers, etcetera. In my review I pointed out that the Wiz was better for fighters, and I don't know someone who is crazy enough about fighters to consider that a deal breaker, but I DID point it out for someone who was. I have owned every one of GPH's consoles, and for me, the Caanoo is definitively the best.

Don't accuse me of not reading your review, I wouldn't comment on it otherwise. I said dozens of games, and I guess I expect more variety than what you said. I think there's way than fighters that would suffer on it. Did you play games that require double taps like I asked? Those aren't limited to fighters.

Yes, no doubt it's your favorite GPH platform. Just doesn't seem really that helpful to tell others it's the best like this, I think they can draw their own conclusions. If you ask me, reviews should be more about disseminating facts so people can make decisions, rather than just talking about what you personally like or dislike, but maybe I'm the only one who feels that way.

Nova said:
Apart from the Wiz's OLED screen, the consoles have been pretty damn resilient. Plus the Caanoo feels very solid to me. No creaking or wobbly parts.

Let's see, I have one GP2X with a broken stick and broken SD, another that has a USB port that broke off (and couldn't be soldered back on because it pulled traces off the board with it), I've heard countless stories of headphone ports breaking off too... Wiz does feel way more durable than GP2X though.

zeldarocks said:
I'm worried about the durability of the analog stick...

I don't know what your financial situation is but were it me I'd get a Dingoo right now and then wait a few months to see how the Caanoo scene develops and whether any hardware niggles become obvious. Who knows, by Xmas you might be creating a topic called "Now the Pandora is so cheap and the supply problems are sorted should I get that instead of a Caanoo?"

john

Exophase said:
Nova said:

Don't accuse me of not reading your review, I wouldn't comment on it otherwise. I said dozens of games, and I guess I expect more variety than what you said. I think there's way than fighters that would suffer on it. Did you play games that require double taps like I asked? Those aren't limited to fighters.

Yes, no doubt it's your favorite GPH platform. Just doesn't seem really that helpful to tell others it's the best like this, I think they can draw their own conclusions. If you ask me, reviews should be more about disseminating facts so people can make decisions, rather than just talking about what you personally like or dislike, but maybe I'm the only one who feels that way.

I think you are the only one who feels that way, since it's the first I'm hearing about it.

And yes, lots of games from quite a few genres have been played. On my Caanoo right now is 10 fighting games, (KOF 95, 97, 98, Last Blade 2, Samurai Spirits 4, Blood Bros, Asura Cross, KOF 97 & 98 (mame), Street Fighter II). I also have about as many Beat em Ups, in which a double tap usually is pretty useful for running. Both of these are easy to pull off a double tap because the stick doesn't have a lot of travel. The Wiz is probably a bit better in that area granted, but not by a lot.

My review did give the facts, but the conclusion I drew overall is that the Caanoo is superior. I really believe that anyone who tried it would conclude the same, unless they were a purist about fighting games, in which case a usb arcade stick is the best idea. And you can add one to the Caanoo without any additional accessories.

Nova said:

Let's see, I have one GP2X with a broken stick and broken SD, another that has a USB port that broke off (and couldn't be soldered back on because it pulled traces off the board with it), I've heard countless stories of headphone ports breaking off too... Wiz does feel way more durable than GP2X though.

That is very odd. My GP2x has been dropped countless times and received a lot of abuse, and still runs perfectly. Same with the GP32 (though not strictly a GPH device). The Wiz, as you say though felt a lot more durable than both, and the Caanoo even more so.

Amon_Re said:
u9i said:
Mine still hasnt been ship from EDs store, but they seem to be in stock now, so it cant be long... waiting on the edge of my seat.

You & me both ;)

They're still on the way from GPH to me...

Last edited:
I guess most of you folks didn't order from Play-asia?
With the $5 off coupon I had, and FEDEX shipping, I only paid £116 for it, and it shipped on the 21st and is expected to arrive tomorrow.
For contrast, gameseek.co.uk don't even have them until the 27th, and are £125 excluding shipping charges.

This launch has gone much smoother than the Wiz launch.

RupeeClock said:
I guess most of you folks didn't order from Play-asia?
With the $5 off coupon I had, and FEDEX shipping, I only paid £116 for it, and it shipped on the 21st and is expected to arrive tomorrow.
For contrast, gameseek.co.uk don't even have them until the 27th, and are £125 excluding shipping charges.

This launch has gone much smoother than the Wiz launch.
I'm currently happy with my Pandora, but I will add that Play-Asia has excellent service, and if anyone is interested in the Cannoo, you can do a lot worse than PA! They have great customer service, fast shipping, and proper packaging skills. They are A+ all the way!

Chris

But will we get blasted by customs is we use play-asia? If there's any chance of that then I'd rather order from ED

Ok, here's just my humble opinion:

If in doubt buy from EvilDragon. Why? Because he pays for gp32x server and the file archive and supports the community, not Play Asia...

Once again, only my 2 cent...

Hey ED, how about throwing in an extra wiz cable for good measure, so i can make me a wifi cable? :)

Edit: I agree with sbock. You are supporting the community :)

I'm all for supporting the community and I'm thinking about donating to the archive, it's served me very well in the past.
But I ordered from Play-asia because I order from there all the time, and I had the coupon handy.

Everyone here knows Ed is the MAN! ;)

I only recommended Play-Asia as an alternative to vendors on these forums incase they are out of stock, or if members have had bad experiances from the vendors who frequent the boards. Everyone here should already know to support the community when possible, but it is always good to have other options!

Chris

sbock said:
Ok, here's just my humble opinion:

If in doubt buy from EvilDragon. Why? Because he pays for gp32x server and the file archive and supports the community, not Play Asia...

Once again, only my 2 cent...

If in doubt buy from EvilDragon. Why? Because he's a dragon who presumably breathes fire, and happens to be evil.

Although in reality he's about as far from that as I could imagine ='] ED has a rightful place among the open source gods on mount linuxus.

Definitely make ED your first choice when purchasing a Caanoo. I get the feeling he could use the money a lot more than Play Asia.

Sugar_Kane said:
But will we get blasted by customs is we use play-asia? If there's any chance of that then I'd rather order from ED
DO we have to actually worry about customs if we order it from Play-Asia?

If you live inside EU, then yes, I believe so. It might be up to luck, I know i will get the royal screwjob if my package gets caught by customs. (along with the VAT i also have to pay fees... basically, i have to pay to be allowed to pay). Maybe it depends on how it is sent and who processes the package for you.

Back