Which Operating System At Boot

Dozer

Efram the retarded rabbit
Website
lawrencewithaw.tumblr.com
I've just had to format (losing all my music <_<), and now when I boot it asks if I want to start windows 2000 pro or windows 2000 pro :blink:. Any ideas on how I can just get it to boot straight away normally. I only have 1 hd in and 1 big partition.

I'm bogged down with spyware on my Win2kPro ATM, so having a shitload of problems too. I actually had to start firefox through TaskManager because desktop won't load.

finty101 posted on Oct 5 2004 at 11:28 AM said:
I'm bogged down with spyware on my Win2kPro ATM, so having a shitload of problems too. I actually had to start firefox through TaskManager because desktop won't load.

Have you tried running AdAware & Spybot - Search and Destroy through Safe Mode? You can access Safe Mode through msconfig.exe or hitting F8 before the Windows Logo appears during boot.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the same issue after installing windows on another drive. Go to the 'boot' drive, probably the drive you used to have Windows on. Make sure 'show hidden operating system files' is checked and find a file called boot.ini.

Change the timeout line to 1 and delete one of the Windows 2000 entries. Problem is which one. Easy solution: after setting timeout to 1 take note of which entry is 'default'. Boot the PC, if it's the right one delete the other.

In my case one says disk(0) the other says disk(1). The new Windows copy was on my second drive, so I deleted the disk(0) entry.

generalnmx posted on Oct 5 2004 at 08:47 PM said:

Have you tried running AdAware & Spybot - Search and Destroy through Safe Mode? You can access Safe Mode through msconfig.exe or hitting F8 before the Windows Logo appears during boot.
Yes, ALOT. But my router seems to be dumping my computer in theDMZ no matter what I tell it to do, so it doesn't take long to get bogged down again. Slowing the fuck out of my connection too, and I just found out that I have a Jeffo infection on my other partition.

Malitious coders should be shot.

finty101 posted on Oct 5 2004 at 03:03 PM said:
generalnmx posted on Oct 5 2004 at 08:47 PM said:

Yes, ALOT. But my router seems to be dumping my computer in theDMZ no matter what I tell it to do, so it doesn't take long to get bogged down again. Slowing the fuck out of my connection too, and I just found out that I have a Jeffo infection on my other partition.

Malitious coders should be shot.

Download and install Sygate Personal Firewall or Zone Alarm. You can even do it in safe mode.

Rico posted on Oct 5 2004 at 07:51 PM said:
I had the same issue after installing windows on another drive. Go to the 'boot' drive, probably the drive you used to have Windows on. Make sure 'show hidden operating system files' is checked and find a file called boot.ini.

Change the timeout line to 1 and delete one of the Windows 2000 entries. Problem is which one. Easy solution: after setting timeout to 1 take note of which entry is 'default'. Boot the PC, if it's the right one delete the other.

In my case one says disk(0) the other says disk(1). The new Windows copy was on my second drive, so I deleted the disk(0) entry.
Thanks rico :). That did it. It's weird as I only have 1 hdd in and 1 copy of win 2k installed :S. Boots right away now though.

Back