Which Would You Guys Like More.

bmilleker

Website
bmilleker.misled-life.com
Which would you guys rather have?

1 30" LCD (1 x $2,199 = 2199) http://www1.ca.dell.com/content/topics/seg...c=ca&l=en&s=gen

OR

2 24" LCD's (2 x $999 = 1998)
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/Product...ategory_id=4009

Check out the size diff here: http://www.sharkyforums.com/showthread.php...31&page=1&pp=15

There are a couple 24" at my school and wow are they amazing. I couldn't imagine having 2 of them. And then there is the monster 30" which would be amazing for watching tv rips, and almost has the screen real-estate as 2 24".

The 2 x 24" are more practical, but the 30" would be amazing for watching hdtv tips on, and playing the odd game of true combat.

Im going to be developing moreso than graphics design. Im kind of in a bind in which to pick. Im done school in less than 3 months and thats when I plan on buying.

If I had that much dough, I'd consider a projector. But then you have to worry about lighting, having a wall, etc. If you're talking 'school' like college, i'd go with the 30', just because it's easier to port around. But if not, go with the doble screens, because, perhaps if you're deving, you can test a program on the left screen, and work on the code on the right... I've seen it done, but for 3d stuff.

After reviewing it, I wouldn't go with either. I, personally, can't stand wide aspect screens. Usually games don't support them, and when you're using many emulators, old games, etc, the display will be incredibly compromised. Though the sd card reader on the side would be really cool

I agree it would be easier having two screens. But, with the big 30" im wondering if i could just basically do the same, but all on one screen. I wish i could compare the 2 things up close :p.

Im not a fan of projectors. I think it would be weird for deving also.

My mate plays WoW on his 42 inch plasma via DV out and it rocks. Way cheaper than LCD too.

EDIT: I suppose I'd better point out it's not very practical for anything other than games or movies though. He uses a normal monitor for boring everyday stuff.

I know someone with that 30" monitor, and to be honest its not worth it

its a strain to be moving you eyes and head just to see the corners of the screen, and it is very hard to see the screen in its entirity without being several feet away.

I'd say go for the 24" they will be crisper and you can do 2 full screen things at the same time (if that makes any sense)

I really wouldnt go for the 30" thoguh, however awesoem i may look its just so impractical to have a screen that big as the primary computer screen

I have 2 19" LCDs here, and run them from a single video card using the two DVI sockets on it. They display exactly the same until windows kicks in, then one goes blank until you tell windows you want to extend your desktop onto the second monitor.

I'd much prefer 2x24" over a single 30", so my advice would be to go for that solution. Also, I'd go try out UltraMon, it lets you extend your task bar, and move windows between monitors very easily. I love it for just placing the taskbar icons on the relevent monitor (otherwise you could have an editor open on the second monitor, but the taskbar icon being present on the first, which can be confusing).

I've not noticed any slowdowns with the second monitor activated, and it gives me the added benefit or keeping things like messenger or irc open on the second whilst playing full screen games on the first :)

Back