Who Needs Windows When U've Got Wifi

Liveonc

Still Fresh
I was just thinking about why a small console/netbook that's supposed to work be used for Games & Work, should need to run Windows or OSX, etc. I saw that the iPhone could through remote access & software installed on a Windows PC, could act as a Virtual Desktop with access to the PC where I installed the software. If this baby can run my PC while I'm somewhere else, it would be nice to play Crysis running on my PC from this console, then we're talking about Gaming!

chickendung said:
Why would you want to play Crysis on a screen that's 320x240? WiFi will probably never happen, anyway. GPH is never going to release a WiFi adapter for the Wiz, just another console to rip us off again. I hope GPH goes straight to hell.

I must be posting in the wrong forum. I was talking about The Pandora with the 800x480 4.3" 16.7 million colours touchscreen LCD & Wifi 802.11b/g, Bluetooth & High Speed USB 2.0 Host

MY BAD!

Last edited by a moderator:
Moved to the proper forum and deleted double post.

Software like VNC would allow you to remote-desktop into your PC. The problem is that this is not a game-quality connection. Video compression is high, framerates are low, and latency is severe. Remote-desktop gaming over wifi is not feasible - not if you expect any sort of quality experience.

I kinda dislike this thread, so I'm going to mock it a little.

Any way.

Wtf is a UR Windows?
iz7ocg.png

If you mean what I think you do, you might as well leave.

I don't know what it's called right now, but there are powerful streaming solutions in development and afaik are betatested in the US. Is it called "Streammygame" or something? Dunno. I'm too lazy to search right now. In the future it might be possible to stream games like Crysis to the Pandora, I suppose.

mali said:
I don't know what it's called right now, but there are powerful streaming solutions in development and afaik are betatested in the US. Is it called "Streammygame" or something? Dunno. I'm too lazy to search right now. In the future it might be possible to stream games like Crysis to the Pandora, I suppose.
StreamMyGames actually got some really good reviews and looks promising. It even got a decent review from PCFormat.

Tripmonkey_uk said:
mali said:
StreamMyGames actually got some really good reviews and looks promising. It even got a decent review from PCFormat.

Is it truly free
is it even possible for the pandora

If so i think weve got how wifi test dummy

emcp said:
Tripmonkey_uk said:
mali said:

Is it truly free
is it even possible for the pandora

If so i think weve got how wifi test dummy
The company would need to port their Linux client over to work on the Pandora. I can see them being interested with it having the right hardware (controls, screen res etc.).

It is free, although for a limited resolution. Thankfully that would be a pretty good resolution for the Pandora to use.

Just have to wait until the Pandora is actually released to see if they are interested :)

Tripmonkey_uk said:
It is free, although for a limited resolution. Thankfully that would be a pretty good resolution for the Pandora to use.
I think he meant libre, not gratis.

zhasha said:
Tripmonkey_uk said:
I think he meant libre, not gratis.
Ah, k.
No it's not open source unfortunately :(

(naw)mcx said:
I kinda dislike this thread, so I'm going to mock it a little.

Any way.

Wtf is a UR Windows?
iz7ocg.png

If you mean what I think you do, you might as well leave.

UR Windows, is just that. U answered UR own question. U can even have something called UR Linux or UR OSX, something U don't have nor need, U have it somewhere else.

mali said:

This. As for some people in this thread, empty your cup.

At the very least, I'd like near real time access to my desktop PC over Wifi anywhere in my house (for stuff that cannot run directly on Pandora). Hopefully wifi bandwidth would be enough.

Over the internet I'll use ssh or similar for remote access. Of course, this would only be for copying small stuff over, checking on torrent download progress, work related stuff, etc. Anything that doesn't need real time graphics.

Having my PSP at launch during college, PSP VNC was probably the best homebrew along with FTP and access and using my PSP as a portable storage device. I had to use a software keyboard, but man did it make my life easier. If I really needed to use a bigger screen, I could just load in from an actual desktop.

darien said:
Having my PSP at launch during college, PSP VNC was probably the best homebrew along with FTP and access and using my PSP as a portable storage device. I had to use a software keyboard, but man did it make my life easier. If I really needed to use a bigger screen, I could just load in from an actual desktop.

I don't own a PSP, but doesn't it have bluetooth? If it does, can u pair a bluetooth keyboard with it? Maybe a mouse too???

no bt in my psp 1000. and the wifi chip is not really good either.

recently found a use for it again, stuff from hackaday, lets you use it as 2nd screen, win only. Resolution is a bit crappy. But its ok for watching family guy while playing eve.

Liveonc said:
I don't own a PSP, but doesn't it have bluetooth? If it does, can u pair a bluetooth keyboard with it? Maybe a mouse too???

Nope just regular wireless. And there really wasn't a lot of homebrew to choose from 4 years ago. The virtual onscreen keyboard worked just fine and analog for mouse was alright.

Back