Who Owned Actual Sega/nintendo/snes/genesis?

Did you own Nes/sega/SNES/genesis?

• Total voters

DRED

Still Fresh
Was wondering how many of you actually owned old school gaming consoles and that is one of the reason you bought a handheld gaming system. Was wondering if its mostly people like me who owned these consoles when younger vs people who didn't own them but are playing them now for gaming options.

I would think that younger people who never played these games when younger would not really be interested in these types of games, but I could be wrong.

Personally I believe old school fast paced games are the best. Most games today are very slowed down and don't require that fast hand to eye coordination. Just think of the first Fantasy Zone for sega master system. You moved so damn fast I Just loved the feeling of flying super fast around so many obstacles. What current games are like that today?

Even first person shooters are scaled back hugely. Doom2 was a very fast paced game, now these current FPS games are super slow movement.

Play station games are a big joke, they try to get all these crazy graphics but lose controllability.

I've owned just about every system since the atari 2600, including the lesser known ones such as virtual boy, game gear, tg16, neo geo (favorite of all time), atari jaguar, sega saturn, sega dreamcast (one of my favorites, so many true arcade ports), atari lynx, wonderswan, 3do, etc. I even have a turbo express handheld (plays tg16 games) and a sega nomad (handheld that plays sega genesis carts).

Atari 2600 - Still one of my most heavily emulated platforms. Pitfall II anyone?
Atari 5200 - I sold it pretty much right after I bought it.
ColecoVision - I knew we owned one in my house, but I don't really recall playing it.
Intellivision - Mission X!
NES - I didn't have many games, but I'm pretty sure that I'm one of only about a dozen people to have beaten Dash Galaxy in the Alien Asylum.
SNES - Used exclusivly for the Final Fantasy series, and Mortal Kombat II. Once beaten... sold.
N64 - Bought at a yard sale of 10$! Had both Ledgend of Zelda games too. Beat them, and loaned it to my Nephew... I should get the back sometime soon.
Genesis / 32X / SegaCD, CDi - My most heavily played system(s) - rented and beat more games than I care to count, even some underrated titles like Cyborg Justice.
DreamCast - Bought for 10$ at a yardsale too! Happened to be one that didn't need modded either. Good times. Sold to same Nephew who has my N64.
GB - Played Super Mario Land, and Wario then got rid of it. I needed money for a CoCo III.
GBA - along with a flash cart - Specifically to learn C on, and still don't think I've ever played a single commercial GBA game except for LoZ - The Minish Cap.
DS - pretty much because my nephew was going to throw it away because the right hinge is broken. I slapped a cheap protective cover on it, and pretty much only use it for reading ebooks - how sad is that?
GP2X - Sold my GBA and flash cart just to get a GP2X, coded one game for it and fried the voltage regulator. It's packed up in a box, ready to ship to Evil Dragon for repairs one day when I have some extra money.

Not to mention the hordes of home computer systems I've rescued, abused, and laid to rest.

I agree newer games have lost something compared to older ones, but that doesn't mean they don't have some appeal. I always felt like Quake 3 was almost too fast. I much prefer Quake 2.

DRED said:
Play station games are a big joke, they try to get all these crazy graphics but lose controllability.

There are some great playstation games that are pretty tough. Also, there's alundra. Alundra is a great playstation game if you get the chance to play it. Anyway, I've owned:

NES - I owned the original VCR-esque american console, and the top-loading NES, the top loading NES was so much better.

SNES - american SNES. Best console ever, period. Best sound quality of any 16-bit console, just look at how pumped the sound chip is!

Sega Master System II - I didn't have too many games for it, but I did have alien syndrome, sonic the hedgehog, and paperboy, that I remember. Oh, and michael jackson's moonwalker =D

Sega Genesis - Sonic games, streets of rage, golden axe, columns, sonic spinball. This console was great, but I never really enjoyed the music or sound effects all that much on the genesis.

Sega Saturn - The sega saturn was a great console, IMO. NiGHTS, the earthworm jim games re-released, panzer dragoon, and the original grandia were on this system.

Sony Playstation - The playstation is the holy grail of RPGs. Every RPG you can think of is on, or has been ported to, the playstation. Although I prefer my Final fantasy 6 (3 in the US) to be on the SNES, where there are no load times and the music sounds good, the playstation had that too. Parasite eve, final fantasy 9, alundra, suikoden, breath of fire 3, there are too many great RPGs to count on this system. Not only that, but Metal Gear Solid, the most cinematic game series ever developed, started on the playstation.

Sega Dreamcast - Dreamcast is sega's best console. Every single game for the dreamcast is a game worth playing, for the most part. The second you turned this thing on and put in a game like sonic adventure, ecco the dolphin, or soul calibur, you knew you were seeing the next generation of gaming. Grandia II also saw a release on the dreamcast, and it's probably one of my favorite RPGs to date. It's terrible on the...

Playstation 2 - Playstation 2 picks up where the original playstation left off. RPGs everywhere, fighting games, you name it. The ace combat series really started to take off on this console, as well (no pun intended.)

Nintendo Gamecube - The gamecube was the underpowered sibling of the playstation 2 and the xbox in the console war, and while it wasn't exactly the best looking console, it had a lot of appeal. The discs were easy to carry, the console was easy to carry due to it's lunchbox-esque design, and there were a lot of nintendo-made games that really packed a punch and made your purchase worth it. Super mario sunshine isn't great, but there are some redeeming qualities, and I'd be lying if I didn't say metroid prime was an epic game that made the most of the gamecube's hardware.

Xbox - The powerhouse of the big 3, the xbox was the most powerful console of the bunch. Halo revolutionized the first person shooter genre with large, open areas, high-quality visuals, and a decent sci-fi storyline that gets away from the World War II shooters present on almost every system before it.

I also owned an original gameboy, a pocket gameboy, a gameboy color, a gameboy advance, a gamegear, and a virtual boy. I just got lucky, I guess. We didn't exactly buy all of these, some of them were hand-me-downs, some of them were yard sale items, etc. but I enjoyed my gaming infancy, and being able to play games from when games were more about gaming than they were about fancy graphics, in the palm of my hand, is pretty awesome.

EDIT - Forgot the Nintendo 64, and the IBM 386 I owned. DOS for the win!

Yes, I was bored. Long post is long.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hot damn... Forgot about:
PS1 - Played Bushido Blade until my thumbs bled. Finished FF7 and sold it to upgrade my PC.

DRED said:
I would think that younger people who never played these games when younger would not really be interested in these types of games, but I could be wrong.

It's true, I'm only interested in the style of games I played when I was maybe 5-8 years old, which would be early 3D-accelerated PC games. (Rock Raiders, Monster Truck Madness 2, etc.) and occasionally, GBA games. (Golden Sun, Lego Drome Racers)

Anything older than that, and the lack of graphics gets in the way of gameplay.
Newer games tend to be more about being a Big Fucking Deal and act like they're movies, with all the art and cinematics going on, and costing lots of money.

lulzfish said:
DRED said:

It's true, I'm only interested in the style of games I played when I was maybe 5-8 years old, which would be early 3D-accelerated PC games. (Rock Raiders, Monster Truck Madness 2, etc.) and occasionally, GBA games. (Golden Sun, Lego Drome Racers)

Newer games tend to be more about being a Big Fucking Deal and act like they're movies, with all the art and cinematics going on, and costing lots of money.

There were old games that played like movies/books and were great (without the massive cost). Dreamweb is one that I intend on playing via UAE on my Pandora once it arrives. Played the demo and saw my brother play it once, looks like a very intriguing game.

dreamweb_11.png

lulzfish said:
DRED said:

The metal gear solid series is totally like that, being like a book and a movie at the same time, and it has great gameplay, too. I think it's been very successful in that way, every aspect of it is entertaining, from the dialogue to the gameplay and the music, and then there are different ways of approaching things as well, which extends the game a lot. It's when games attempt this, and fail, that the game becomes ruined because of it. I think you're just being an old school fanboy =X

I'm 16. But see, I like the old games and the new games. Which, disappointingly, is not a trait I'm seeing much. There's far too many young people who won't play old games because of their graphics and/or just because they're old and that means the newer ones are obviously all better. And, there's far too many adults whining on and on and on about new games being too focused on graphics, or not hard enough, and so on. Honestly, if either group gave the games that they unfairly shun a real chance, they'd probably like them. The thing to understand is, old and new games aren't supposed to be the same. If you go in expecting that, well, you're going to be disappointed. I practically forced my younger brother to play Final Fantasy VII, and at first he kept complaining about the graphics. But, about 7 hours in, he was hooked, and now he has a much better appreciation for older games. Of course, not every game is for everyone, but you can't possibly say every game in a whole generation is crap, especially without giving them a fair shot.
/rant

Anyways, I'm interested in emulation so that I can play all the great games I missed, and relive the very few I didn't.

EDIT: Changed all-caps words to italic. I'm not used to having formatting...

I own and still use the following systems:-

Sinclair Spectrum ZX+
Sega Megadrive
Siemens Nixdorf 386SX PC
GP2X-F200
Nintendo Wii

I don't like in getting rid of these systems as they still work fine and the nostalgia in playing on retro games. The day I am unable to fix any of these systems then it'll have to get it scrapped.
ohmy.gif

absolofdoom said:
I'm 16. But see, I like the old games and the new games. Which, disappointingly, is not a trait I'm seeing much. There's far too many young people who won't play old games because of their graphics and/or just because they're old and that means the newer ones are obviously all better. And, there's far too many adults whining on and on and on about new games being too focused on graphics, or not hard enough, and so on. Honestly, if either group gave the games that they unfairly shun a real chance, they'd probably like them. The thing to understand is, old and new games aren't supposed to be the same. If you go in expecting that, well, you're going to be disappointed. I practically forced my younger brother to play Final Fantasy VII, and at first he kept complaining about the graphics. But, about 7 hours in, he was hooked, and now he has a much better appreciation for older games. Of course, not every game is for everyone, but you can't possibly say every game in a whole generation is crap, especially without giving them a fair shot.
/rant

Anyways, I'm interested in emulation so that I can play all the great games I missed, and relive the very few I didn't.

EDIT: Changed all-caps words to italic. I'm not used to having formatting...

You mean your little brother wasn't impressed by the epic puppet show that is final fantasy 7?! How dare him!

Although, final fantasy 6's graphics were much better, imo =D

I still got my NES, every once in a while I take it out for some Zelda, Mario, or one of those 42-in-one Super Famicom carts that I got an adapter for... Ah good times... ^_^

I was always more of a PC guy, but in the past few years I've been picking up older consoles like the NES, SNES, Genesis, and Dreamcast. Got my Xbox 360 for all the fancy new games. I bought a PS3 the other week, and all I really use it for is playing my old PS1 discs :/

PlopperZ said:
I was always more of a PC guy, but in the past few years I've been picking up older consoles like the NES, SNES, Genesis, and Dreamcast. Got my Xbox 360 for all the fancy new games. I bought a PS3 the other week, and all I really use it for is playing my old PS1 discs :/

Please tell me you at least use it for blu rays D: PS1 on PS3 sucks.

b1ueskycomp1ex said:
Sega Dreamcast - Dreamcast is sega's best console. Every single game for the dreamcast is a game worth playing, for the most part.

Everygame? No. Did you ever play evolution? Worst rpg ever. I know, I played the whole damn game b/c there were no other rpg's for the dc at the time. Why would I play it if it sucked, you may ask, same reason my friends and I got soul calibur to 99 wins each and 99 draws just to see if something happens... We were crazy back then. To much drugs and alcohol, I suppose. God I miss those days.

MonkeyChops said:
b1ueskycomp1ex said:
Sega Dreamcast - Dreamcast is sega's best console. Every single game for the dreamcast is a game worth playing, for the most part.

Everygame? No. Did you ever play evolution? Worst rpg ever. I know, I played the whole damn game b/c there were no other rpg's for the dc at the time. Why would I play it if it sucked, you may ask, same reason my friends and I got soul calibur to 99 wins each and 99 draws just to see if something happens... We were crazy back then. To much drugs and alcohol, I suppose. God I miss those days.

b1ueskycomp1ex said:
MonkeyChops said:
b1ueskycomp1ex said:

"60% of the time it works everytime"

"that makes no sense"

Back