Why Do Gurus Have Their Posts Stretched Out?

Chip said:
Pleng said:
rabidpoobear said:
Pretty sure it's an I.E. problem.
No. It's a forum problem. The forum doesn't render on one of the most popular browsers.

No, it's an outdated browser problem.

Ah I see. If it's not current then forget it.

Nice.

Anyway I *don't* use IE apart from on the rare occasions I'm running IE 7 from uni (which *does* still have the problem),

Last edited by a moderator:
lulzfish said:
kingoddball said:
You could get a SanDisk Cruzer USB flash (1-2gb is like $8), which has an inbuilt menu system (start menu in system tray) which you can install Firefox or Opera directly to the drive and don't need admin privileges and then it should fix all them word wrap issues AND no IE history on the computer. All files are on the flash.
Or you could install Firefox Portable from portableapps.com on ANY flash drive, rather than buying the ones that have silly menus pre-installed on them.
That's what I usually do when I'd rather not deal with my school's bullshit. You'd be surprised how many time wasters can be stored on a single flash drive.

Chip said:
Pleng said:
rabidpoobear said:
Pretty sure it's an I.E. problem.
No. It's a forum problem. The forum doesn't render on one of the most popular browsers.

No, it's an outdated browser problem. Guru posts render fine on IE8. If you must use an antiquated browser, try changing your forum view settings.

With all due respect, that's incorrect or at best incomplete. I had what sound slike exactly the OPs problem with IE7 and IE8. I knew how to cure it in IE8, however, because I'd already found the "cure" for IE7 despite the level of assistance here (get FireFox! No, get Opera!). Turn Compatability Mode OFF for this forum.

Just for a laugh I thought I'd turn Compatability Mode on in IE8 to see if it still has the same problem with Guru posts on this forum - yup, it still does!

Whether the problem is down to Microsoft or gp32x.de or Invision or Sound-On is largely irrelevant. There's an easy "fix" that doesn't require changing/installing software.

I don't have this problem with other browsers, where I can use them, or with IE7 and IE8 on other forums. So as far as I'm concerned, it's a compatability issue between GP32.COM and Microsoft.

Monk said:
it's a compatability issue between GP32.COM and Microsoft.
Such a nice quote. It's a pity that my sig is full :(

Monk said:
Chip said:
No, it's an outdated browser problem. Guru posts render fine on IE8.
With all due respect, that's incorrect or at best incomplete.
Fired up IE8 for the first time ever on this machine, went to gp32x.de, and everything looks fine. No special settings or changes required.
gurupost.png

Chip said:
Monk said:
Chip said:
No, it's an outdated browser problem. Guru posts render fine on IE8.
With all due respect, that's incorrect or at best incomplete.
Fired up IE8 for the first time ever on this machine, went to gp32x.de, and everything looks fine. No special settings or changes required.
gurupost.png

Right. Now turn Compatability View on and see what you get.

Illustrated - what happens as you turn Compatability View on and off. Obviously, if you have it turned on then (even in IE8) this forum displays imperfectly. Just watch that scroll bar thumb tack!

15p0aba.gif

I hope that helps, Chip.

Patient: "Doctor, it hurts when I do this."
Doctor: "Then don't do that"

You already know the solution, so there is nothing else to be done. It may not work in IE6, but it probably doesn't work in Netscape Navigator 2.02 either. You can't support antiquated browsers forever.

Chip said:
Patient: "Doctor, it hurts when I do this."
Doctor: "Then don't do that"

You already know the solution, so there is nothing else to be done. It may not work in IE6, but it probably doesn't work in Netscape Navigator 2.02 either. You can't support antiquated browsers forever.

Patient "this happens when I do that"
Doctor "no it doesn't"
Patient "It bleedn' well does mate!"

Oddly enough, not only did I discover the answer but the point/post of mine you tried to "correct" was to help out the OP who seems to be having the same problem I was. You remember - being helpful instead of snarky? Trying not to cloudy the issue with inaccuracies?

Willrandship said:
We're not allowed top use flash drives at school without getting them scanned every time they leave the room....
Some of the PCs we have use firefox, but not the ones that run decent! Some of them are Pentium 3s!
Hey, i'm using a P3 to write this right now and i dont have any problems!
If you need to browse the web at school so badly, get a netbook. Or a Pandora + cellphone tethering.

Back