Why Does Fat32 Screw Up Sd Cards?

krosfyah

Syntax Error
Website
Visit site
So I'd happily been using this Corsair 1GB SD card with my GP2x for ages. Then one day needed to shift around some large files between PC's and decided the card was a good option. I chose to do a format instead of just deleting files off it, and I guess I didn't pay much attention because it seems XP decided to do FAT32 instead of the usual FAT16 I normally used. Anyway, I didn't even notice at the time and went on my merry way. Until now... (weeks later since I have another card that I've been using)

The GP2x won't have anything to do with it. It's been formatted back to FAT16 with XP as well as with special SD formatting utilities/cameras and nada. Nothing shows up under the GP2x menus. The card still works as normal with XP (yay?). Of course after my card got trashed I find out that it's a known issue.

So.. I'm not really bothered if this can be fixed or not but I would like to know who is to blame here. Is it Windows? Is it the GP2x? Is it SD media in general? Who should I be directing bad karma at?

You can't blame XP. I formatted both my 1GB cards in FAT32 under XP and never had any issues. The only thing I can think of is possible a bad master boot record or it's not 100% compatible on the GP2X. Like others have stated, you can try to unformat it and reformat using another software other than XP.

-Kensupen

Back