Why Is This Handheld Named Pandora?

sm1988

Still Fresh
Dumb question I know but I always liked the story of pandora's box and I also own an aerosmith box set of the same name (pandora's box) or maybe you will get a genuine panda fur carrying pouch with it. I don't want the forum to get cluttered with dopey questions so I will stop at this one.

sm1988 said:
Dumb question I know but I always liked the story of pandora's box and I also own an aerosmith box set of the same name (pandora's box) or maybe you will get a genuine panda fur carrying pouch with it. I don't want the forum to get cluttered with dopey questions so I will stop at this one.
It was discussed on these forums extensively. I think it has to do with all the possibilities of the machine.

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's a pretty simple connection, i.e. Pandora's box was open and unleashed all manner of chaos into the world, and the Pandora handheld will be an open platform and unleash... well, something or other into the world. :p

Prophet said:
I think it's a pretty simple connection, i.e. Pandora's box was open and unleashed all manner of chaos into the world, and the Pandora handheld will be an open platform and unleash... well, something or other into the world. :p

That something being pancakes. And bubblewrap. And maybe rainbows.

;)

~Lineus

We didn't want a series of letters or numbers (gp2x, psp etc.) and Pandora is one of the few words which works well and is known in almost all languages.

We also like the myth and it goes well with the fact the Pandora opens etc. loads of reasons really that the named worked well, also almost everyone seemed to like it.

Lineus said:
Prophet said:

That something being pancakes. And bubblewrap. And maybe rainbows.

;)

~Lineus
mmmmm pancakes!

atomicthumbs said:
You should've called it the "HFD2A.A./S;HQUPAS'I&E+A".
FunSquare Eleventy-twenty all the way. :p (That said, I was always rather amused by how the suggestion of "Craiginator" caught on for a while, come to think of it.)

craigix said:
We didn't want a series of letters or numbers (gp2x, psp etc.) and Pandora is one of the few words which works well and is known in almost all languages.

We also like the myth and it goes well with the fact the Pandora opens etc. loads of reasons really that the named worked well, also almost everyone seemed to like it.
Thanks for that, Craig. I was curious also.

atomicthumbs said:
with a name like this, it'd probably cut the number of people who would buy it in half.

magicman5421 said:
atomicthumbs said:
with a name like this, it'd probably cut the number of people who would buy it in half.

At least you'd have a Google search all to your self, (for those who could type all it in correctly).

After humans have received the gift of fire from Prometheus, an angry Zeus decides to give men a punishing gift to compensate for the boon they had been given. He commands Hephaestus to mould from earth the first woman, a "beautiful evil" whose descendants would torment the race of men.

The GP2X was the fire gifted by the Prometeus, but "pandora" is going to be a wonderfully beautiful female fire-eater. I do hope the world doesn't go dark!

(Edited 3/5/2008: Offensive content removed, replaced with mild parody - Tobriand)

Speaking of word "pandora" isn't this word already registred in all countries as treademark?

GuchaRU said:
Speaking of word "pandora" isn't whis word already registred in all countries as treademark?
It is not registered for a handheld gaming computer. Trademarks only apply to general field for which they are registered. Their intended purpose is to prevent confusion (intentional or accidental) between competing products.

For instance, if I started a car company and tried to sell a car called the "Malaboo", General Motors would come down on me like a ton of bricks. The name is obviously a take on the Chevrolet Malibu and GM needs to protect their trademark. However, the trademark only applies to cars. Malibu Rum, Mattel's Malibu Barbie, and the town of Malibu, CA do not have anything to worry about.

Chip said:
GuchaRU said:
Speaking of word "pandora" isn't whis word already registred in all countries as treademark?
It is not registered for a handheld gaming computer. Trademarks only apply to general field for which they are registered. Their intended purpose is to prevent confusion (intentional or accidental) between competing products.

For instance, if I started a car company and tried to sell a car called the "Malaboo", General Motors would come down on me like a ton of bricks. The name is obviously a take on the Chevrolet Malibu and GM needs to protect their trademark. However, the trademark only applies to cars. Malibu Rum, Mattel's Malibu Barbie, and the town of Malibu, CA do not have anything to worry about.

Yeah, but in certain cases don't I need to seek a license to use a brand name like if GM wanted to offer a bubble-gum pink version of the Malibu and call it Malibu Barbie's Malibu? ;-)

Back