Why So Little Interest In The Wiz?

I'm interested in the Wiz quite a bit, but since they have delayed it, I have kind of entered that numb state because I don't want to sit in eager anticipation for two or three months... In maybe two months, I will let it escalate again... :)

Larken, those are my feelings exactly. I check gp32x far more rarely than when the wiz was originally announced, mostly reading pandora stuff and OT for fun. I'm glad there isn't an expectation/hype circus going on, even if it's actually bad for the product.

I admit, in the beginning I was all for the Pandora... then the clamshell design came about and I started losing interest. Then more and more features got added until it became, basically, a tiny PC. I guess my point is I was hoping the Pandora would be the GP2X F300 but instead it evolved into a UMPC which is not at all a successor the the GP2X. I want something that fits in my pocket and plays games, MP3s, and movies. I don't need wireless; I don't want to read email or twitter or browse the net I just want to play games... mostly really old ones. If I buy a replacement for my GP2X it'll be a Wiz because, well, I just want a small, simple unit for gaming not a really tiny PC.

And on the subject of GPH bashing - I bought my GP2X F.E. back in Nov. '05 and, apart from losing the joystick for two days, have never had one minute of trouble out of it. My unit has the old screen, the original joystick cap, the un-rotated joystick layout and will need a seperate power supply should I ever get the cradle but I've not regretted my purchase yet so I have to say, IMO, GPH has done me a solid all around. Yes, firmware 1.0 blew but so what? I run Open2x DR4 now and everything is peachy. If the Wiz does everything the GP2X does and more... I'm sticking with GPH.

Well I received an updated Wiz today, and so far it's a huge improvement over the Pre-Production model.
As we know the ABXY buttons are now separate, the headphone jack is now standard size, and the D-Pad has a centre pivot, the launcher feels much smoother too, there's still some problems but that's all software and I'm making a list to send to GPH.

One thing that they have done on this model is that they have sorted out the USB and I can now connect it to my PC and browse the NAND YIPPEEE.

Any questions please feel free to ask!

iprice said:
That's excellent news. Looks like it's all finally coming together :)

I've still not heard anything btw.
Yep it is cool news :).

Sorry to hear you haven't been contacted yet, but I really get the feeling they are crazy busy over there. They must be going like the clappers to get the Wiz completed for Feb.

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly I'm not worried - I know they must be very busy If anything comes of it, then that would be great. If not, I'll carry on regardless and port a couple of my games anyway, with some added extras hopefully.

Cheers. :)

WarmFluffyUK said:
Well I received an updated Wiz today, and so far it's a huge improvement over the Pre-Production model.
As we know the ABXY buttons are now separate, the headphone jack is now standard size, and the D-Pad has a centre pivot, the launcher feels much smoother too, there's still some problems but that's all software and I'm making a list to send to GPH.

One thing that they have done on this model is that they have sorted out the USB and I can now connect it to my PC and browse the NAND YIPPEEE.

I noticed the NAND is now 1GB which is awesome but does it suffer from the same "only so many writes" type of thing the GP2X NAND has? Also, a small thing but, does it seem that Gmenu2x would port over well?

That is very good news to hear. I'm glad it's all finally coming together. Thanks for sharing all the info, and I'm gladly awaiting February. I'm sad it was pushed back to that date but at least it saves me money for Holiday Shopping. I still hope that they are going to be on track for a Feb release date. I don't know how many more months I could hold out. Thanks again for the little update info.

pkostrze said:
I noticed the NAND is now 1GB which is awesome but does it suffer from the same "only so many writes" type of thing the GP2X NAND has? Also, a small thing but, does it seem that Gmenu2x would port over well?
All flash ultimately has a limit, but the GP2X's driver was (is?) faulty (fixed in Open2x) which made what would normally be a theoretical 'problem' into something concrete.

pkostrze said:
Any idea what GPH is going to do with the left-over pre-production units? To be honest, the D-pad style buttons didn't bother me all that much...
It really didnt make a difference to me either, I would happily buy one if it meant getting one before Christmas.
However, I doubt thats going to happen.

WarmFluffyUK said:

I'm just going to collect mine now.

Centre Pivot!!! Great.

Good news to hear that the updated Wiz gets a thumbs-up from WFUK.

I'm certainly looking forward to getting mine in about 10-12 weeks time :)

The dpad pivot really does make a difference, it feels a lot more precise now (I'm finally getting somewhere in Ruckman :D). The divided ABXY buttons work very well, no more accidental presses and going from one to another is a smoother transition than on the GP2X thanks to their slight inward slope. The current boot time is quite nice as well, about 16 seconds!

Here are some photos next to an SD and then the GP2X:

wizwithsd.jpg

gp2xandwiz.jpg

Alex.; All good news. I think this might turn out to be a pretty good handheld.

I'm thinking of getting one for my brother to play Atari 2600 games on, although an original GP2X might suffice decently despite the stick (since Atari 2600 uses a stick anyway). I want to have one for porting too. But GPH are supposed to send me one anyway -_- Maybe I'll nag ED about it.

Exophase,

I've only ever used gpSP on a PSP. I'm just wondering how it might look on the Wiz, given the 320x240 resolution. Can it be scaled to fullscreen without looking rough?

The Wiz itself keeps looking better and better. The controls seem very solid now.

Great news popping up everywhere! If it keeps up, no doubt it will be an epic piece of hardware.
I would also like to know how the Wiz handles GBA.

Many thanks. :D

Back