Why was Angstrom chosen?

Blue Protoman

I am not bashing the Pandora's OS. I'm just curious as to what stood out about Angstrom that made it suitable for the Pandora. Was it a certain feature, or did someone just throw a dart at the wall and hit this distro?

1.it's linux

2.it works well on arm systems

3.it's lighter than debian

4.it's just generalyl pretty awesome

got any better ideas? (and don't say android, that horse has been beaten many times)

I guess being the distribution for the embedded world since forever and being closely related to the linux-arm project helped ;)

What makes Debian more resource intensive?
Debian focuses on a much lower architecture revision to remain higher compatibility with other ARM platforms and does not distinguish between those revisions. By using Debian's binaries you would already lose performance just cause they are not optimized for the ARMv7-A family.

Ångström uses a modified DPKG that fits better to the limited ressources as well as separate repositories for each supported architecture revision, offering better optimized binaries.

Umm... xfce can be used on debian just as much as gnome can. AFAIK there's not even any bias toward any specific DE in debian. Or are you confusing debian with ubuntu? :)

infact, who needs sh, all we need is one button bound to each syscall

So this:

computer_z3.jpg

With some thousand buttons?

I am typing this comment from a Debian Squeeze box with XFCE (although I'm actually typing from a VNC session on Fluxbox). This installation does not and never did have GNOME installed. GNOME is only the default environment in Debian. You can also pick KDE or XFCE from the installation CD. The GNOME version is no more customized than the XFCE one. Alternatively, you can do a command line installation and only add X-Window plus whatever window manager or desktop environment suits your fancy.

Interestingly, the Debian installation that has been put together for the hacked Zipit Z2 includes only Fluxbox as a window manager unless you install something else later. Debian is pretty flexible, but as Letalius Sonus said, it's not targeted specifically toward Armv7-A, but toward running on just about any Arm processor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back