WI-FI speed after hotfix 5

Achlys

Still Fresh
Hello:

With hotfix 4 I used to get a 100KB/sec download speed, and now after hotfix 5, I get a 200KB/sec download speed, and that's a very good improve, but, with my laptop, I get 1,6MB/sec downloading the same file.

Is there a real chance that with future hotfixes we'll achieve such a download speed?

P.S: Sorry for my English.

The wifi chip was designed for mobile browsing, and probably will not exceed 1Mbps. There's a lot of things you can try to get better connectivity until the firmware is tweaked more.

Try changing the channel on your router. Sometimes a channel will work better than others even though there is no interference on any of them, so try them all.

Disable encryption. Just temporary, to see if it helps. It shouldn't make a difference, but for some people it does, and I'm not sure anyone really knows why yet as there just hasn't been enough test cases.

It could also be something to do with your router. My old router I was getting between 200 and 300Kbps on my Pandora; the router died and I had to get a new one, and suddenly I was getting 500-600Kbps even though all the settings were exactly the same. It's kind of bizarre, but without a few hundred different routers it's very hard to debug exactly what the problem is. I don't suggest getting a new router just for the Pandora, but if it is at all possible to visit some friends and try their router or go to a coffee shop with free wifi, just see how well they work and find out what type of router it is; it could be very useful to others.

The wifi chip was designed for mobile browsing, and probably will not exceed 1Mbps. There's a lot of things you can try to get better connectivity until the firmware is tweaked more.

Try changing the channel on your router. Sometimes a channel will work better than others even though there is no interference on any of them, so try them all.

Disable encryption. Just temporary, to see if it helps. It shouldn't make a difference, but for some people it does, and I'm not sure anyone really knows why yet as there just hasn't been enough test cases.

It could also be something to do with your router. My old router I was getting between 200 and 300Kbps on my Pandora; the router died and I had to get a new one, and suddenly I was getting 500-600Kbps even though all the settings were exactly the same. It's kind of bizarre, but without a few hundred different routers it's very hard to debug exactly what the problem is. I don't suggest getting a new router just for the Pandora, but if it is at all possible to visit some friends and try their router or go to a coffee shop with free wifi, just see how well they work and find out what type of router it is; it could be very useful to others.

Thank you for replying and sorry me for not replying for so long, but I was abroad and couldn't try all this stuff.

Now after trying all the channels of my router from 1 to 13 without encryption, I get 250 KB/s peaks maximum.

My router is a Comtrend AR-5381u Wireless ADSL2+ Router.

i used to get about 900kb sec with a dlink dir-815 and the integrated wifi on just about any channel, but it was very instable, and would cut every 5-10minutes of transfer. With an usb wifi stick, i get between 4 and 5mb/sec and the slowdown seem to come from my sd now. (well, not directly, but when i do a lot of little writes to it, the cpu usage lock 100% in sys and wait so it make my pandora pretty much unusuable if i do any kind of high speed transfer ><.

it is an N adapter offcourse.

also its 4-5 megabytes 4-5 megabit wouldnt be worth using :p

im using a linksys ae1000. the kernel module i compiled for the pandy can be found here

Last edited by a moderator:
Back