Wicd Redux

chris_c

iinstall wicd as per their instructions

stop Network manager
create your wifi connection and mark it connect automatically this will also put wicd in the session autostart
run your session autostart gui remove BOTH wicd and NetworkManager from it...

replace /opt/pandora/scripts/op_wifi.sh with this:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
#
# Released under the GPL

# This script simply toggles internal WiFi on or off.
cd /
if [ "`lsmod | grep wl1251`" ]
then
	notify-send -u normal "WLAN" "WLAN is being disabled..." -i /usr/share/icons/hicolor/32x32/apps/nm-no-connection.png
	# this kills the gui too so it doesnt complain the daemon is down
	# we kill the daemon so that restarting the daemon connects any
	# automatic connections
	kill -9 `ps ax | grep wicd | grep -v grep | awk '{print $1}'`
	ifconfig wlan0 down
	ifconfig wlan1 down
	rmmod board_omap3pandora_wifi wl1251_sdio wl1251
else
	notify-send -u normal "WLAN" "WLAN is being enabled..." -i /usr/share/icons/hicolor/32x32/apps/nm-device-wired.png
	/etc/init.d/wl1251-init start
	# gui starts daemon if needed...
	wicd-gtk
fi
enjoy...

so if I understand correctly, this is your howto for replacing NetworkManager with WICD... how does it fair with the "new" wifi driver as opposed to the standard HF5 driver?

no idea, using hf5 stock booting from SD with many modifications, YMMV

chris_c said:
hi
try the correct password ?

:) i have - looking on the net seems either need to downgrade wicd or uninstall netmanager? whats best way to downgrade on pandora?

edit/

ah i may be using passphrase instead of passkey? will check when i get home!

Last edited by a moderator:
ensure that NetworkManager is *disabled* as I mentioned...

stop it running when your session starts

ensure it is not running with

ps ax | grep NetworkManager

peelie said:
chris_c said:
hi
try the correct password ?

:) i have - looking on the net seems either need to downgrade wicd or uninstall netmanager? whats best way to downgrade on pandora?

edit/

ah i may be using passphrase instead of passkey? will check when i get home!

edit2

ahah success!but seems you have to keep running killall NetworkManager after booting into Pandora?

edit3

sorted this by making killall script and running it from op_wifi script

Custom Processing Unlimite said:
is there a cleaner way to disable network manager? What about uninstalling it completely?
just preventing it running by deleting its links in /etc/rc5.d/ is more than sufficient, you could probably uninstall it with opkg
but I don't really see the point...

aside from the easier and more comprehensive configuration gui, wicd will be most useful if you are rolling your own debian install on
SD, by not having all the dependencies that NM has you're pulling a lot less in, as the NM cruff is there now it might be hard to find
out what of its dependencies you can remove without borking something else, I'm guessing that opkg's querying abilities ain't as good as
apt...

it would surprise me if opkg couldn't handle dep issues for uninstalling as it seems to handle them just fine for installing. Booting to SD to learn about un/installing for angstrom has been an interesting process in and of itself. I have not looked into documentation as of yet, but I'm sure it should be just as functional as (apt, as you mentioned for Debian or...) pacman for Arch.

You can add an argument to the -R (remove) function of pacman to grab all the dependancies that are not tied to some other package (end command is "pacman -Rs xyz" vs "pacman -R xyz")... I'm pretty sure I saw something similar in "opkg --help", but am not remembering it at the moment and not posting this from my Pandora (yes, I was actually able to surgically detach it from my fingers for more than just eating, sleeping and going to the bathroom :p)... I wanna say the argument was --force-depends, but don't quote me on that. :D

Back