Wicked Lasers

Steve-O posted on Sep 18 2006 at 06:18 PM said:
I think the legal limit in the UK is 5mw or some thing

xnopasaranx posted on Sep 18 2006 at 06:41 PM said:
just try and construct your own. It`s apparently quite a fun project. I wonder how much efficiency you can achieve without having to have professional tools. I guess you would need a good power supply so maybe a cascade circuit?

A buddy of mine used to build tesla coils for fun, you can cut stuff with those but it`s not really safe and never accurate. Kinda cool anyways.
Tell me how to build one!

Azalin posted on Sep 18 2006 at 06:48 PM said:
I built a Co2 Laser as a science fair project once. The thing could burn through a block of wood 30 feet away. Unfortunatly, due to that fact the school suspended me for a week for bringing a "weapon" to school. :angry:

And Tesla coils are the most amusing electrical devices ever! My friend and i have one that we fire up every now and then :p

EDIT: It just occured to me, WhyTH is this in other consoles?!?!?
Tell me how to build both of the above mentioned devices. If you can manage to put the contractions' in the text correctly...

Loubear posted on Sep 19 2006 at 12:39 AM said:
Azalin posted on Sep 18 2006 at 07:36 PM said:
Loubear posted on Sep 18 2006 at 12:33 PM said:
Azalin posted on Sep 18 2006 at 01:48 PM said:
I built a Co2 Laser as a science fair project once. The thing could burn through a block of wood 30 feet away. Unfortunatly, due to that fact the school suspended me for a week for bringing a "weapon" to school. :angry:

And Tesla coils are the most amusing electrical devices ever! My friend and i have one that we fire up every now and then :p

I hope you didnt' touch even the tips of the discharge...

I have absolutely no compunction to have several hundred thousands volts of electricity course through my body, thank you very much. We just use it to make bottles explode :p

Just wondering. Even though some members (ahem fishbong and shikaku) think that I'm a dumbass for asking, some people actually do touch the discharge because of various rumors and so forth. Just because it doesn't hurt. No hurt!=No damage.
Thats a van de graff generator you idiot! You let a tesla coil discharge through you and you'd be very lucky to leave anything behind!

Last edited by a moderator:
sam fisher posted on Sep 19 2006 at 06:39 AM said:
Steve-O posted on Sep 18 2006 at 06:18 PM said:
I think the legal limit in the UK is 5mw or some thing

xnopasaranx posted on Sep 18 2006 at 06:41 PM said:
just try and construct your own. It`s apparently quite a fun project. I wonder how much efficiency you can achieve without having to have professional tools. I guess you would need a good power supply so maybe a cascade circuit?

A buddy of mine used to build tesla coils for fun, you can cut stuff with those but it`s not really safe and never accurate. Kinda cool anyways.
Tell me how to build one!

Azalin posted on Sep 18 2006 at 06:48 PM said:

Tell me how to build both of the above mentioned devices. If you can manage to put the contractions' in the text correctly...

Loubear posted on Sep 19 2006 at 12:39 AM said:
Azalin posted on Sep 18 2006 at 07:36 PM said:
Loubear posted on Sep 18 2006 at 12:33 PM said:
Azalin posted on Sep 18 2006 at 01:48 PM said:

I hope you didnt' touch even the tips of the discharge...

I have absolutely no compunction to have several hundred thousands volts of electricity course through my body, thank you very much. We just use it to make bottles explode :p

Just wondering. Even though some members (ahem fishbong and shikaku) think that I'm a dumbass for asking, some people actually do touch the discharge because of various rumors and so forth. Just because it doesn't hurt. No hurt!=No damage.
Thats a van de graff generator you idiot! You let a tesla coil discharge through you and you'd be very lucky to leave anything behind!

A. Wikipedia is your friend.
B. It's not like we're building huge tesla coils you idiot. From an industrial one, yah, you're right. Tub of fried human flesh right there. But from most hobby ones, some idiots do touch the fringes. It's not gonna kill them (might if they go close enough) but it's going to do some damage.

Internal burning, probobly some loss of nerve tissue. If the voltage is high enough it could probobly knock you out, or at least off your feet. But yeah, its not gonna melt you like in Red Alert :p

It's not voltage that kills you. It's current.

Van de Graff generators generate hundreds of thousands of volts, but at low currents. They're safe.

Tesla Coils can generate high current too

Azalin posted on Sep 18 2006 at 05:48 PM said:
I have a shisha, i use to fire it up with my friends too! :)

gp32rich posted on Sep 20 2006 at 03:43 PM said:
It's not voltage that kills you. It's current.

Van de Graff generators generate hundreds of thousands of volts, but at low currents. They're safe.

Tesla Coils can generate high current too
Finally, someone with at least a tiny ounce of physics and common sense. Also a tesla coil shock would fry a large amount of your nervous system, if not all of it, assuming you survive.

gp32rich posted on Sep 20 2006 at 03:11 PM said:
Oh shit! Sam agreed with me :ph34r:
Oh shit indeed.

@Sam, for god's sake, it's a hobby tesla coil. Go read it up in wikipedia or something, or at least ask Azalin. He's a coiler! Mmm...milano cookies...

gp32rich posted on Sep 20 2006 at 08:11 PM said:
Oh shit! Sam agreed with me :ph34r:

I'll get the brillo pad!

Back