Wifi Ap Mode Or Adhoc?

cappuchok

Website
Visit site
I guess this is just dreaming, but imagine if the Pandora could act as an access point for other WiFi-enabled consoles like NDS and PSP, and emulators on those platforms as well as the Pandora could all communicate with eachother through some "standardized" netplay protocol. That'd certainly make it significantly easier to find people to play with, as most of the people around each of us will probably have a DS or PSP rather than a Pandora, so the potential for finding another Pandora user for playing over a local wireless connection would be rather small. And if DS emulation ever becomes a reality on the Pandora, imagine the possibilities!

OK, I'll go back to dreaming silently now... :p

I think Pandoras should sense each other's presence, a bit like "The Quickening" in Highlander. Having sensed another Pandora's proximity, their owners could go to a secluded spot for a few rounds of Street Fighter, or whatever, and establish who has the superior thumb skills.

There can be only one!

monkeyo2 said:
I think Pandoras should sense each other's presence, a bit like "The Quickening" in Highlander. Having sensed another Pandora's proximity, their owners could go to a secluded spot for a few rounds of Street Fighter, or whatever, and establish who has the superior thumb skills.

There can be only one!
Lol, and the loser's Pandora Self-Destructs.
Does craigx still have space for some C4 in there?

Last edited by a moderator:
with bluetooth integrated now, though, you wouldn't need a wifi adhoc network for the multipandora gaming thing to work.

Plus as far as I know it already had an adhoc of some sort. I guess I was wrong. Unfortunately, in my town- despite being a COLLEGE town, for a sort of technical college no less- has any devices other than cell phones.

Sphinxter said:
All depends on the game but I think it'd already be out of bandwidth for anything seriously interactive.
I'd expect bandwidth to be plenty, latency might be a problem. Or not.

I seem to remember someone making a game in which both the DS and PSP could play on the same server. This seems pretty plausible IMO

sindbad said:
Sphinxter said:
All depends on the game but I think it'd already be out of bandwidth for anything seriously interactive.
For Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR, yeah. Bluetooth isn't really designed with interactive network applications in mind, so it is quite likely you'll see some latency in there.

Sphinxter said:
sindbad said:
Sphinxter said:

Compared to ethernet?

Comparison is somewhat irrelevant, as ethernet is overkill for games (you can even play games from remove Xservers, with sound). 2Mbits/sec should be plenty for just sending messages across, complex as they may be.

sindbad said:
Sphinxter said:
sindbad said:
Sphinxter said:

Compared to ethernet?

Comparison is somewhat irrelevant, as ethernet is overkill for games (you can even play games from remove Xservers, with sound). 2Mbits/sec should be plenty for just sending messages across, complex as they may be.
I recall playing games on novell over 1.5mb arcnet as reeking quite a bit even with ipx being a far better performer than tcp/ip. Games on X are what I'd consider a network crime.

What might be nice would be if it did support Wifi AP mode, not for the reason the original poster said, but it would be nice to get a USB ethernet adapter and then the Pandora could act as a portable router as well, for hotel trips when you have a laptop and the Pandora with you, or something along those lines. Just an idea.

jhoff80 said:
What might be nice would be if it did support Wifi AP mode, not for the reason the original poster said, but it would be nice to get a USB ethernet adapter and then the Pandora could act as a portable router as well, for hotel trips when you have a laptop and the Pandora with you, or something along those lines. Just an idea.
I'm pretty confident that, once I have my Pandora, I'll never have a laptop with me in a hotel again -- unless I've bought a hotel, that is.

Bluetooth keyboard, USB hard drive, battery extender... all those things I'll take. Another (yes, "another") laptop? No.

On a more serious note: I'm sure stuff that does that already exists for Linux. It's just a matter of recompiling.

EDIT: ... said the man who originally thought "recompile" was a heap of reconnaisance soldiers.

Karel Jansens said:
Bluetooth keyboard, USB hard drive, battery extender... all those things I'll take.
And by the time we've got all these gadgets together it'll probably take up as much space and weight as a laptop. Not that we're gonna let that technicality stop us. Right? :D

TaG said:
Karel Jansens said:
Bluetooth keyboard, USB hard drive, battery extender... all those things I'll take.
And by the time we've got all these gadgets together it'll probably take up as much space and weight as a laptop. Not that we're gonna let that technicality stop us. Right? :D

You fail to see the point: I don't need to take all that stuff out of my bag at once and lug it around; only what I need at the spur of the moment. Modularity always beats monolithism (except in A. C. Clarke novels).

Back