Datel Wifi Max Or Wifi Router

OMars

Website
Visit site
I have a psp and I would like to surf the web and/or play games online. So here are my choices:

Datel Wifi Max
IGN Review
Maxconsole Review

BUFFALO WHR-G54S wireless router
Newegg site with reviews

Now, the Wifi Max is specifically designed for the psp and ds. It even has video conversion and media/gamesave management software. It lets use an apache server to transfer files to your psp wirelessly. But, it only allows up to 5 connections at a time.

The Buffalo, on the other hand, is a little more expensive than the Wifi Max and is not designed specifically for the psp (doesn't come with the management software). But, it allows almost infinite connections and has a presumably longer wireless range.

I need something that would allow me to go online from, at least, one floor away on the opposite site of the house. It would be kind of cool to have psp gathering, but I don't have that many friends with psp's. And, I would like something that would be simple to set up.

So, it would be great to get some replies from people who have experienced one or the other of these devices. It would be just as nice if a person with good knowledge on wifi routers to help me decide based on my needs.

Personally, I'd go for the router; you don't have to your PC on to use it, range is longer, more connections, if you ever decide to use computers on it, it's easier to configure port forwarding and such things. As well as those things, I'm sure you could accomplish the same things the software allows with other software. Ah, I just remember something else too, it's much easier to move a router if you have range problems, then it is to move a computer.
Of course, the dongley thing has it's merits, you can use it at your friends and such too probably quite easily, and its probably overly easy for someone who's never used one before. But yeah, you should consider price too, and, also, good choice on the router that supports dd-wrt, the options in that are endless, can go nearly forever with port forwards, can run the xlink kai engine on the router itself, even run a web server from it. Anyway, you should consider price too, good luck on your future purchase!

Titcher said:
Personally, I'd go for the router; you don't have to your PC on to use it, range is longer, more connections, if you ever decide to use computers on it, it's easier to configure port forwarding and such things. As well as those things, I'm sure you could accomplish the same things the software allows with other software. Ah, I just remember something else too, it's much easier to move a router if you have range problems, then it is to move a computer.
Of course, the dongley thing has it's merits, you can use it at your friends and such too probably quite easily, and its probably overly easy for someone who's never used one before. But yeah, you should consider price too, and, also, good choice on the router that supports dd-wrt, the options in that are endless, can go nearly forever with port forwards, can run the xlink kai engine on the router itself, even run a web server from it. Anyway, you should consider price too, good luck on your future purchase!
Wow, thanks a lot. It seems that the router just dropped $10 in price. I hope to order this thing after this weekend.

BTW, if I have a computer in another room with no internet connection at all, would it be an easy thing to install another router on that one and go online with it as well? I hope the answer is yes, because a second high-speed cable connection would be expensive.

Sorry about all the question, I'm a total noob when it comes to wireless. :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
You wouldn't be installing a router on the other computer. What you would be installing is a wireless network card. What kind of card will depend on what kind of computer (desktops will probably use pci, older laptops will use pcmcia, newer laptops usually have wireless built in), but you'll install this router, then connect your other computers and devices through it to your internet connection.

Yes, Ravnos is correct. Although you *could* use a router to do it, you're probably much better off with the wireless network interface. Although they're cheap and everything, you probably shouldn't get a USB based wireless card, range is normally terrible. Whatever kind of interface you get there, try to get one with a visible, replaceable ariel.
Seeing as at least the DS supports max encryption of WEP, which has been cracked wide open, if you're concerned about people using your connection, you should setup MAC filtering on the router; which involves putting all the potential clients on a list on the router.

Titcher said:
Yes, Ravnos is correct. Although you *could* use a router to do it, you're probably much better off with the wireless network interface. Although they're cheap and everything, you probably shouldn't get a USB based wireless card, range is normally terrible. Whatever kind of interface you get there, try to get one with a visible, replaceable ariel.
Seeing as at least the DS supports max encryption of WEP, which has been cracked wide open, if you're concerned about people using your connection, you should setup MAC filtering on the router; which involves putting all the potential clients on a list on the router.
Alright, thanks. I really appreciate the help, man. :D

One quick question: Will I need a wireless adapter for setting up the network so that the psp will be able to go online? I would think not, as the psp has a wireless adapter, but I just need some reassurance. :unsure:

OMars said:
One quick question: Will I need a wireless adapter for setting up the network so that the psp will be able to go online? I would think not, as the psp has a wireless adapter, but I just need some reassurance. :unsure:
Nyet. Plug the router in to your phone line, Plug in mains power, and you're good to go for the time being. If you don't have any wireless adaptors, then you may wish to use a network cable to share broadband connection with your PC.

Nova said:
OMars said:
Nyet. Plug the router in to your phone line, Plug in mains power, and you're good to go for the time being. If you don't have any wireless adaptors, then you may wish to use a network cable to share broadband connection with your PC.

From what I understand, I am supposed to disconnect the modem i have already from the pc's LAN port and connect it to the router instead. And then, I am supposed to connect the router to the pc's LAN port. So then, the router would act as a bridge. Is that not correct?

I would also like to know if there is (at all) some difference between the name "patch cable" and "ethernet cable". The router comes with an ethernet cable, and I just checked my modem which had a cable that said "patch cable". And the port that the cable is connected to says "10BASET". Will any of those things affect compatibility with this router?

Man, I'm so clueless when it comes to these things. I usually have friends or professionals install hardware for me. :unsure:

Your assumptions are correct. An ethernet cable is not necessarily the same as a patch cable, but in this case it doesn´t matter. Just connect the router to your modem and your PC to the router. If there´s any additional setup needed, check the manual of the router or autorun the CD that came with it.

Fishbong said:
Your assumptions are correct. An ethernet cable is not necessarily the same as a patch cable, but in this case it doesn´t matter. Just connect the router to your modem and your PC to the router. If there´s any additional setup needed, check the manual of the router or autorun the CD that came with it.
Thank you so much! I was making it all more complicated for myself, but I think I'll buy it tomorrow. :)

A patch cable normally refers to a small unshielded network cable, in case you'd like to know.

Titcher said:
A patch cable normally refers to a small unshielded network cable, in case you'd like to know.
Oh, ok, thanks again. :)

Back