Wireless Router

how can i check who is using the internet please? because i dont want anyone getting free internet around my area? and it will make my brother happier because its his internet and he would hate if it happened, he doesnt even want me to use the wireless router...

please help on top of my other quistions...

how can i check who is using the internet please? because i dont want anyone getting free internet around my area? and it will make my brother happier because its his internet and he would hate if it happened, he doesnt even want me to use the wireless router...

please help on top of my other quistions...

EDIT* crap sorry! never meant to post twice, my internet buggered up and was being slow so i pressed twice! sorry!

sam fisher posted on Aug 5 2005 at 09:53 PM said:
use some encryption and that mac addressing stuff

im a noooob to this, how to set an emcryption? and what is it actually gonna do? thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Mac filtering:
Each Networking device with have a mac address (although these can be spoofed), most decent routers will have a mac filter list that you can edit allowing/disallowing these networking devices to connect.

Encryption:
WEP and WPA are you most common methods, is like setting a password to access the network. Google it up.

Other things you can do:
Set the router so it doesn't broadcast the SSID name.
Set the SSID name so that is is identifiable to you or predictable.

yaustar posted on Aug 5 2005 at 11:05 PM said:
Mac filtering:
Each Networking device with have a mac address (although these can be spoofed), most decent routers will have a mac filter list that you can edit allowing/disallowing these networking devices to connect.

Encryption:
WEP and WPA are you most common methods, is like setting a password to access the network. Google it up.

Other things you can do:
Set the router so it doesn't broadcast the SSID name.
Set the SSID name so that is is identifiable to you or predictable.

nice, thanks, but what i need to know how to goto it, i go "control panel", then "network and internet conection" but nothing... nothing to do with mac or anything of that sort....

saintdragon posted on Aug 12 2005 at 03:31 PM said:
type to router ip?

how to find out the router ip? i know my ip, is that the router ip?
rtfm literally, it should be there.. it be something like 192.168.0.1 or simliar. And before you ask what is the password and login, it's in the manual again.

yaustar posted on Aug 12 2005 at 06:47 PM said:
saintdragon posted on Aug 12 2005 at 03:31 PM said:
type to router ip?

how to find out the router ip? i know my ip, is that the router ip?
rtfm literally, it should be there.. it be something like 192.168.0.1 or simliar. And before you ask what is the password and login, it's in the manual again.

oh thanks again!

i know what ip your talking about!

when i paste it into my browser is says (the connection was refused then trying to contact "my ip")

i tryed both in firefox and IE, :( im doing something wrong here!

Back