WiFi connection problems in Hotfix 6

hmc

Hi all,

a question:

Running Saxxon FW with Hotfix 6, I still experience problems with WiFi connectivity.

Many times, when transfering larger files, the connection breaks. Sometimes after transfering only a few 100 kB.

This happens when connected to the router at home, as well as when connected via ad-hoc WiFi network to another PC, signal strength is always excellent.

Is this still a common problem, or did I miss to install some fix for it?

Any pointers or hints?

Thanks,

Daniel

Afaik it is still not a solved problem. I too have very temperamental wifi, that sometimes works for some time with speeds up to 200kb and then it drops to zero and refuses any connection.

Changing the channel can help, setting your router to use only g and not g and b helped me too.

Are you able to test this with a different router?

A few people (myself included) have found that in terms of WIFI the Pandora works better with some routers rather than others.

FWIW my Belkin N+ Cable router has always worked well with my Pandora whatever the hotfix version. My current router, a netgear provided by Virgin media does not work quite as well. As I have the Belkin N+ set up as a network bridge (via homeplug in a bit of the house not well served by WIFI from the netgear) then it is pretty easy to see that the difference in performance is caused by the router.

I found locking the router to a lower data rate helps. I use 36 MB/s myself, it has fixed my wifi issues with the Pandora.

Thanks guys,

I have now set the 802.11 standard used by the router to a+n (not a+b+n, thus excluding 11Mbit 802.11b), chose channel 10 instead of 1, and unchecked the option "Use only channels optimized for 300Mb/s", whatever that means.

Will test if this helps, and report here.

Daniel

okay, after changing these settings I started dwnload of a Linux Mint ISO file of 700 MB.

It stopped at 174 MB. :(

So with that one measurement (not statistically meaningful, though!) it seems to be an improvement, but doesn't solve the problem.

Daniel

I've been having these issues for some time and they are really starting to be a nuisance. I have 3 active routers in my house. Belkin, Linksys, and NetGear. One is the gateway and the other two are configured as switches. I've tried connecting to all of them with different frequencies and settings of "g only". I've tried running "iwconfig wlan0 power off rate 54M" along with other rates (to see if limiting that would help) and nothing works well for me. It's hard to say that anything I'm doing is having any affect since there seems to be times where it works better than others. Has anyone been able to track down this issue definitively? It sure would be nice to be able to download larger files to this device.

I have noticed, however, that the WiFi's behavior seems to be better if the unit is not being used (i.e. just sitting there, downloading). But that's just anecdotal at this point, since I haven't done any testing along those lines. If true, this may explain the inconsistent behavior.

Is this an issue everyone has or should I think about sending my unit back?

Well, after recently recieving my unit I was dissapointed to find that wifi refused to work on my set-up (It's a 'homemade' router running linux but I have _never_ had a problem with even a single other device). However, when I took the Pandora to my mums my Pandora worked pretty well - it was slow but it worked.

So, I got back home and tried screwing around with my router. I did find that changing the channel seemed to work but I've yet to find a channel that works with both my sons 3DS AND the Pandora simultaniously.

So, basically I'm not sure if I can call my Pandora's wifi working or not. I think if I can use a micro-USB dongle then I will go down that road as I couldn't be arsed sending the thing back after waiting 3 years. Does anyone know of a working tiny usb dongle?

Well, after recently recieving my unit I was dissapointed to find that wifi refused to work on my set-up (It's a 'homemade' router running linux but I have _never_ had a problem with even a single other device). However, when I took the Pandora to my mums my Pandora worked pretty well - it was slow but it worked.

So, I got back home and tried screwing around with my router. I did find that changing the channel seemed to work but I've yet to find a channel that works with both my sons 3DS AND the Pandora simultaniously.

So, basically I'm not sure if I can call my Pandora's wifi working or not. I think if I can use a micro-USB dongle then I will go down that road as I couldn't be arsed sending the thing back after waiting 3 years. Does anyone know of a working tiny usb dongle?

have you tried changing the encryption to AES only?

Back