Wifi Sd Card With 2gb

Tech-Head

Still Fresh
Hi,

Just found this site, Looks like WiFi in an SD card, would this work in our :gp2x

I think a driver must be wrote for it, but it looks good.

The address as follows :

http://www.eye.fi/

Thanks

Tech-Head

It's not a wifi card, in the sense that it is not made to give wifi access to the device which hosts it.

From the device, it is seen as a memory card. In this memory card, there is a wireless file server giving wireless access to its content, but this is transparent to the host device.

So it's unlikely that it can be used as wifi card.

Yes, that card is meant so you can put it in your camera/etc, take pictures and then browse the contents from your pc without having to use a usb cable. You could probably even have it setup so that when you take a picture, it appears on your PC's screen a few seconds later. Could be useful for some companies, but for most people, it's probably easier and cheaper to just link up your usb cable as and when you want it.

Ah but there are SD WiFi cards available and bloody cheep too Here they require SDIO though and i'm pretty sure have no storage capabilities. Though these would be great when the craiganaitor comes along with dual SD slots...... actually I hope one of those slots supports SDIO

I have a Palm SD Wifi card. Are there open source drivers for it that could be adapted to the GP2X? Are there drivers for any of the existing SD wifi card? I see the Spectec are popular on eBay.

an SD wifi card would be awesome. Imagine a browser which could use the f200 touchscreen.

I'd certainly buy a SD wifi card for myself if drivers were hacked up. Anyone here capable?

One serious problem with the Palm Wifi card (that I couldn't help notice) on my Palm is that it EATS the batteries.
With Wifi in full operation I only got just on an hour of life from a fully charged Tungsten T3 and a little better on my Zodiac. The I used Wifi for light web browsing and updating my AvantoGo channels. The Nintendo DS with Opera is now the killer handheld web browser, it's incredible usable and batteries still seem to last for hours even when using wifi to browse the net. I don't think the GP2X will compete here at all.

I was thinking that the GP2X might be fun to use Wifi for multiplayer gaming though a wireless router in a similar fashion to the way NDS does it as I doubt that too many people will have a friend who also has a GP2X AND a Wifi card to play against :)

On the F-200 applications such as email, messengers or even simple browsing might be nice.
Some sort of Plucker or Avantgo application would also be nice.
Maybe even hi-score updloading? There's loads of potential, but we need the basic hardware and driver support to get it going.

The Nintendo DS with Opera is now the killer handheld web browser, it's incredible usable

I find it painfully slow, and the GUI is very unresponsive when the RAM usage is high (which is most of the time as the DS only has 4MB internal + IIRC around 8MB extra with the expansion slot). The GP2X would be a lot smoother web browsing experience, although I can imagine the battery issue. How long would your fully charged Tungsten T3 last without it?
What it could do is authenticate, download the html page + pictures the html asks for (or maybe just cut pictures altogether), then disconnect until the next page request is sent - that would save quite a bit of battery if for example you were reading an article or a long email on the browser.

Then again, web browsing isn't particularly the most cpu straining process, underclocking could be done to reduce more power.

Back