Wii or PS2 for couch multiplayer (and mods)

*sigh*

I got a used black Wii with 4 GameCube ports now, but it has Firmware 4.3a and it seems, that it cannot be modded without an exploit of a now expensive and rare game (Lego Indiana Jones).

Is there an easy and safe way to downgrade to firmware 4.1 or something like that?
hmm I thought the "Letterbomb" exploit worked with every version of 4.3 ?

Not A

Just the E,U,J, K

...it would seem anyway

Only down grades I could find were for an already softmod 3.4A

The Indiana Jones game is on ebay for £6

The Indiana Jones game is not on German eBay and 41€ used at Amazon,

but I managed to make a downgrade to 4.1e without bricking it. :)

No luck in starting GameCube yet though, but I will get to this later.

Any suggestions for Wii homebrew games/apps?

Last edited by a moderator:
The emulators on the Wii are quite nice.

As is the Quake port as you can use the Wiimote to aim(if you like that)

The Homebrew Browser is pretty good as it is like a store front for homebrew with ratings etc...

Apart from that I am a little out of touch with Wii homebrew as I mainly use it for playing my Wii and GameCube games from the HDD. (Instead of grabbing them from the shelf and having to open the box etc.)

GeeXbox. My Wii was my media player for quite a while thanks to this app.

There's a bunch of emulators, good for old school play on old school TV if you don't have old school console.

Looking at the list on wiibrew.org, there's a LOT of new games since the last time I used it. Since getting my Roku and WiiU my Wii has kind of just been sitting there unused.

Get the homebrew browser and just read through it, download anything that strikes your fancy.

Update:

My old external 500gb aluminium hdd (which I tried to sell in the last months) serves now as a loader for my GameCube games on the black Wii - very convenient. :)

Now I've got GameCube from HDD per Wii and the Wii is attached to my flats surround system and beamer, although the signal was too weak for a perfect picture via 10m coaxial cable so I have to use a 5m one that runs through the room.

In addition to that, I finally hung up the silver screen for a better picture than possible on my wall and to be able to hang up the middle box without having the copper cable hanging in the picture.

The extension cables for the GameCube controllers (clones) work well too and the sensor bar rests on top of my 92'' silver screen, I'd wish the resolution would be higher though.

Screw the Wii buy a gamecube! I have both PS2 and the Wii and the Original Gamecube over all these consoles Gamecube was the onlly one I played the most.

PS2 is awesome but it lacks great first party games and it's not that much exotic,  the Wii is just lame and it is gaining dust in my living room.

EDIT: Oh seems u  already bought the Wii i feel sorry for you, hope you enjoy the gamecube games at least.... ;)

What would you gain from a GameCube, if the old Wii (with 4 GC-ports) can play GameCube games (also from an USB-HDD!) with the original GameCube pads attached and even without the need for memory cards? ;)

I see no advantage in the old cube at all and it's ugly as well.

PS: The new version of PCSX2 runs PS2 games perfect in HD even on old machines (like mine) and even has proper widescreen hacks.

The only thing my Wii lacks from the Gamecube is the add-on GBA cartridge player I have for it.. outside of that I just use the Wii for Gamecube games.. Plus it makes a nice streaming video system for my SD TV near my workbench.

What would you gain from a GameCube, if the old Wii (with 4 GC-ports) can play GameCube games (also from an USB-HDD!) with the original GameCube pads attached and even without the need for memory cards? ;)

I see no advantage in the old cube at all and it's ugly as well.

PS: The new version of PCSX2 runs PS2 games perfect in HD even on old machines (like mine) and even has proper widescreen hacks.
Uh well I actually like more the gamecube cause I personally think it looks better than the wii plus it lasts and will last longer than the wii.

And ya know it has it's charm and it's perfectly shaped to sit a beer bottle on top of it :p

The wii just doesnt look good for that.... plus gamecube games are a million times better than wii games, there is a game for any kind of player and they're the last great games Nintendo has ever produced since they became impostors with a gray logo, making controllers that look like dildos and getting all hipster and shit trying to be diferent... (except for the 3DS wich is like a new version of a Gameboy and it's awesome, and not like the lame nintendo DS).

Well by any meanings this doesnt mean nothing, thats just my opinion, have fun and play some great games I bet you will have a blast :) .

plus gamecube games are a million times better than wii games
But the Wii plays Gamecube games, with Gamecube controllers and everything, arguably better than the Gamecube because you can hack a Wii to make backups of your games so you aren't swapping disks all the time.You're arguing to sacrifice a lot of functionality simply because you like how the Gamecube looks. :/

I would argue a Wii with the HDD loader will last longer than a GC running normal discs. Even if you are streaming games through the BBA, you still need to load up Phantasy Star Online to start that process.

Also the loader for GameCube on the Wii is more reliable at forcing Progressive Scan mode than the Game Cube loaders ever were...

I got a PS2/PSX/GameCube & a Wii. GameCube is by far the best for mutliplayer exploits, with the PS2 in second. Get some games like SSX 3, Nightfire, BURNOUT, Medal Of Honour, XIII, Sonic Heroes, Pikmin 2 etc. and you'll be sorted. Wii doesn't really warrant the extra cash really, since most of the best version of the best franchises were on the previous generations consoles. PS2/GCN are also dirt cheap for the amazing gaming they provide. I managed to buy up over 60 PS2 Games for probably about £120 and 15 GCN for £50 (mostly because I'm rural, which drives the price up) while buying most of my few Wii games in cities, I was paying over £20-£30 for a single game (just after the Wii U launched)

Also i agree with LuSimon, GameCube looked alot nicer.

Guys, guys... you are missing the point you guys.... Beer on top of the gamecube = <3

Oh and the butler said very wise words too!

And the superior gamecube games are cheaper than wii games yeah!!!

Um.. cheaper if you are still to buy them I guess... I still have my original GC and games but they don't come out of the cases since they are all on the HDD... and forced to progressive scan on Wii...

Yes, it is actually getting difficult to get hold of the good GC titles, even on ebay and the like. I'm a very-late-comer to the GC (as I am with most systems - I buy one when they are cheap and second-hand), and it is a lot more difficult to get my hands on the necessary GC titles than it is to, for instance, get hold of the necessary N64 titles.

Hey btw how do you think PCSX2 would run on my acer aspire 5742ZG laptop? it has a pentinum with 2 GHz , an ATI mobility Radeon HD with 512mb and 4 GB DDR3 RAM

I already tried running dolphin emulator but it's too slow do you think I have any luck in geting PCSX2 to run? 

Fun fact: every time somebody says that PCSX2 runs "perfect" a kitten throws up somewhere*

*(citation needed)

This stems from the fact that definitions of the word "perfect" vary wildly when it comes to emulation. I`d prefer if folks used "good enough for me" instead - since the only way to experience "perfect" PS2 gameplay is by hooking the real console to a real CRT TV. PCSX2 is a great piece of work but for me still not "good enough" -  various glitches which might be invisible/unimportant for others are a deal breaker. Especially seeing as the real thing is dirt cheap and widely available.

Back