Wii U game sales

There's a good reason ZombiU didn't sell - it's just not very good. It was my most anticipated game when I got my WiiU. I played it for a couple of hours and it was very meh. Most reviews gave it just above average scores. And they were pretty much spot on.
If only good games sold well, the world would be such a better place. 

But it's not the case. Shitty games sell truckloads, too, if advertised/marketed properly. And most people who buy games don't read reviews. They just pick it up. 

"N" makes systems for themselves, and to hell with what the industry or 3rd parties want. Yeah, it's great that Miyamoto and his teams can make great games, but when you design a system and what it can do, you need to look at the consumer and other publishers in the process.

Proper online accounts, trophies/achievements, proper 4 shoulder buttons & dual analog controllers, etc. These are industry standards, that "N" just flat out refuse to acknowledge(Yes, they now have a proper controller, but it is sold separately, not a good idea)
I'm not saying Nintendo is on the right track, but at least they try to be innovative instead of riding half dead "industry standard" horses.
Nintendo, innovative ? 

The WiiU is nothing but the DS concept applied to a home console - it's far from being innovative, and they did an extremely lousy job to prove that it was a good idea. I've never seen anyone convinced that it was, really. And their advertising campaigns are really, really doing a bad job of showing why you should buy it. 

Nintendo has almost NEVER done innovation. The Wii was an exception, and they were "innovative" then because they could not follow the technical proposition of other competitors anymore and they had to differentiate. The WiiU is clearly FAILING at that. Why the heck do I need a tablet to play on... a home console? It was just a stupid idea to start with. The fact that it even made it past their internal standards show how desperate they are of getting something out after the Wii. 

It's obvious they had no good idea on how to recreate the past success, and just threw on the market whatever they could. It's Nintendo's final hour on home consoles. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I admire "N" for what they did with the Wii, but it was still just a gimmick at the end of the day, and really didn't help to improve the game playing experience...
As said, I don't want to defend Nintendo at all. I'm not even into their big brands that much (I'm just tired of Mario, and too dumb to play 3D Zeldas) After the "Wii - Buzz" cooled down in our familiy it was hard to find a game that really made sensible use of the Wiis capabilties, in fact I only found one game that really showed off that the Wiis concept does also work in a more "serious" context : Red Steel 2.Thats what bugs me most about Nintendo, they try to differentiate themselves from the market, but after the launch titles are out they seem to completly let go of any interest to cement their headstart.

They even aren't able bringing their past success into today => VirtualConsole, expensive as hell and you can't even have one account for both, WiiU and the N3DS, so you can either play at home or on the go.

And there is much more to complain about Nintendo, I just have the feeling that if Nintendo looses its status as a real competitor to MS and Sony, the video console market gets even more mainstreamend as it already is, leeding to the 2000th incarnation of the FPS concept that works for the target group of 8-16 year old males.

The battery is around a third of the capacity of what you can find in some very thin and light tablets. I don't think weight is an issue.
I'm not sure about that, looking at my son holding it, I would say it should not be heavier. Of course this problem could have been solved more sensible by just giving the option of having a bigger battery (eiter include the smaller one and selling the bigger one as accessory or the other way round).

Not sure what Sony and Microsoft really need to understand about the PC market - there are almost no PC exclusives anymore, almost everything comes to their consoles..
My totally uneducated assessment is that alle three (Sony, MS, Nintendo) have to understand that with the constant growth of acceptance of middleware, the hardware will loose more and more of its "weight" as a decisive factor. Of course Nintendo will have to swallow the biggest pill as they are the only one left still in the need/want to make money through hardware sales.
Nintendo, innovative ?
Well, to be picky I said they "try" to be innovative. Even the Wiis concept isn't that innovative, remebering the "infrared ring" accessory that was (poorly, I guess) sold for the Sega MegaDrive.
I totally disagree with the WiiU beeing a DS rippoff for a home console. Having informational asymetry between players is a really nice trick (but also not really new, looking at pen and paper games) and I guess if a "real" game (not just some minigame like in Nintendoland) is contructed around that concept it could really work out well. But it will always be a concept for a niche of the game market.

On a side note, hasn't the lack of something (in this case, not beeing able to deliver competitive hardware - performance wise) always proved to be the best motor for evolution/innovation in the past?

WiiU is:

• Yet Another Home Console
  • ...with Nintendo first party titles
  • ...with asymmetrical gameplay for local multiplayer
I bought it for the latter two, and it's been fun :)

On a side note, hasn't the lack of something (in this case, not beeing able to deliver competitive hardware - performance wise) always proved to be the best motor for evolution/innovation in the past?
Wow, yeah, sure. Wii games were totally innovative. I have been always amazed with what developers came up with.

[sarcasm off].

Seriously, the Wii was fun for a few 2-3 games, and its control scheme was pointless for all the rest. That's why I never used mine more than a few times - I spent more time with my Gamecube years ago. 

The best motor for evolution is IDEAS, period. Putting too many constraints does make you move innovative per se, unless you are FORCED to work with them. Nowadays a given developer has tons on choice for platforms to develop on, and choosing the WiiU is clearly not their top priority as you can see. Why should they ? 

WiiU is:

• Yet Another Home Console
  • ...with Nintendo first party titles
  • ...with asymmetrical gameplay for local multiplayer
I bought it for the latter two, and it's been fun :)
Enjoy your next 6 months with it until it goes into oblivion :)

The best motor for evolution is IDEAS, period.fun :)
You are mixing up cause and effect in that case: => defecit is the cause, ideae is the effect. Of course this isn't an "overarching" mechanism, there are sure ideas that aren't born out of a need. But the context provides the tendency => financial survival.

The best motor for evolution is IDEAS, period.fun :)
You are mixing up cause and effect in that case: => defecit is the cause, ideae is the effect. Of course this isn't an "overarching" mechanism, there are sure ideas that aren't born out of a need. But the context provides the tendency => financial survival.
I'm sure RIM (Blackberry) has tons of great ideas then, now that are financially in the hole. Same for AMD. Same for Palm. Same for Sega. They got really creative since they abandoned hardware.

Hum, your theory does not stand the test of reality very much, that's the least I can say. Most companies don't bounce back. 

I'm sure RIM (Blackberry) has tons of great ideas then, now that are financially in the hole. Same for AMD. Same for Palm. Same for Sega. They got really creative since they abandoned hardware.

Hum, your theory does not stand the test of reality very much, that's the least I can say. Most companies don't bounce back. 
I did not write anywhere that having a deficit automatically leads to great ideas or innovations, just that it often is a powerfull motivator.

Wow, yeah, sure. Wii games were totally innovative. I have been always amazed with what developers came up with.

[sarcasm off].
In all honesty I thought it had the potential to be more... I mean the Wiimote makes perfect sense as a living room mouse. I agree that many just used the accelerometers to add gimmicky gesture controls, but in a few games it did actually add to the experience. I also think it should always let you use traditional controls when you want to sit back but whatever.

I did not write anywhere that having a deficit automatically leads to great ideas or innovations, just that it often is a powerfull motivator.
Yeah, but I was just challeging the "often" part of your statement. In reality, it doesnt occur often. People don't reinvent things on the Titanic.

I would buy the controller if I could use it with my PC. But I really dont like using it with a console
This is where thinking out of the box would come in handy, but "N" refuses to work with others and make something like this a reality. 

I admire "N" for what they did with the Wii, but it was still just a gimmick at the end of the day, and really didn't help to improve the game playing experience...
As said, I don't want to defend Nintendo at all. I'm not even into their big brands that much (I'm just tired of Mario, and too dumb to play 3D Zeldas) After the "Wii - Buzz" cooled down in our familiy it was hard to find a game that really made sensible use of the Wiis capabilties, in fact I only found one game that really showed off that the Wiis concept does also work in a more "serious" context : Red Steel 2.
Thats what bugs me most about Nintendo, they try to differentiate themselves from the market, but after the launch titles are out they seem to completly let go of any interest to cement their headstart.

They even aren't able bringing their past success into today => VirtualConsole, expensive as hell and you can't even have one account for both, WiiU and the N3DS, so you can either play at home or on the go.

And there is much more to complain about Nintendo, I just have the feeling that if Nintendo looses its status as a real competitor to MS and Sony, the video console market gets even more mainstreamend as it already is, leeding to the 2000th incarnation of the FPS concept that works for the target group of 8-16 year old males.
I agree with all your points here. Especially the account system problem. I don't know how or why consumers buy games twice on these "N" systems, and they seem to be happy about it.

Like always, "N" just doesn't see the problem here. The same way they can't understand the Region locking issue accurately. Now that MS has given it up, there is just no sound reason for them to continue to support it. Everyone knows region free games are such a small percentage of the population, and it's really only fan service, but at the end of the day, who the hell does "N" think has even bought a WiiU at this point..........FANS!

Chris

I would buy the controller if I could use it with my PC. But I really dont like using it with a console
Just one thing said about the controller:

I's so happy to finally get rid of the Wiimote and Nunchuck.

I HATE shaking controls. It was such a failure.

You know Castlevania Judgement?

It's a fighting game and for every attack you have to shake your Wiimote.

You won't play this longer than an hour.

If only there were more games.

Why is "N" dumb enough not to start with nice launch titles any more?

If Mario Kart for example would have been out at the beginning lots of people would have bought the console.

It was cracked months agoThe controls map easily, and I think touch screen support exists so it can be used as a kind of tablet, anything else requires interfacing with individual applications.
ya I read the article whenthe story first broke, but it didnt have the ability to display my PC on the controller. It worked more like a trackpad than a second display

Enjoy your next 6 months with it until it goes into oblivion :)
I have a feeling it will be quite a bit longer, but meh, it's all speculation at this point. We'll see :)
It will be longer.

Did you see the E3 announcements?

Super Smash Bros

Mario Kart

Donkey Kong (not with shitty bongos)

Super Mario Land

Xenoblade 2 (at least how I call it)

Bayonetta

All those games will be awesome.

I'll probably buy the Wii U for Bayonetta 2, Pikmin 3, Mighty Switch Force, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate and "Xenoblade Wii U".

(A friend lent me the original MH3, I barely played it)

I've also heard that Batman Arkham City is ok on Wii U, since I don't own it on other platforms…

I don't buy consoles unless there are a few games that whet my appetite, the Wii U is severely lacking on that part

Back