WiiU premium now £180

Garrett

Advanced Member
Argos

Have to admit I'm tempted at that price.. wouldn't hesitate if it was bundled with Super Mario 3D World, or even Pikmin 3/The Wonderful 101.. might just wait a bit & see if a little price/deal war ensues.

Anyone else's resolve wavering..?

CNR_meh.jpg

Argos said:
The Wii U is a revolutionary entertainment system that gives you an exciting new way to play! The GamePad, an innovative 6.2 inch touch screen, re-defines the way you and your family game, connect and enjoy entertainment together. This console combines dynamic game-play with full HD graphics for a truly superior gaming experience.
Hyperbole much?

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this a Nintendo slashing or is it this particular retailer? I can't find anything about it elsewhere, just articles about a price drop at Argos.

That's a good price. Picked up a Wii U for a joint christmas present for me & my daughter, her face when she saw Princess Peach in a cat suit on Super Mario 3D world was pretty much worth the 'entry fee'. :)

WOW, what is the normal price in the UK? 180 pounds translates to about 300 US, and that's been our price for the deluxe since the price drop last year. I would personally wait, as 199.00 or less is my magic number, but they may not be the case overseas. I guess if it's good enough over there, go for it.

Chris

It's 220€.

That's a good price.

I've bought it at launch and it was about 300+€.

But why do they drop the price now?

Can't they combine the pricedrop with the launch of a great game?

180 pounds translates to about 300 US, and that's been our price for the deluxe since the price drop last year
Despite the currency conversion rate, money is more or less the same between the US and UK: a 400USD laptop costs about 400GBP, an 8USD combo at Burger King costs about 8GBP, two people doing the same job on either side of the ocean earning 30000USD and 30000GBP respectively, etc... Not exactly like that, and not across everything, but pretty closeI used to work in an international office and had a UK coworker who would occasionally complain that they were paying almost double (due to currency conversion) for their electronics as we were over here, even after I pointed out that he was getting paid almost double what I was (accounting for currency conversion).

I'd snap one up.

I got mine ages ago now when HMV done this, with the ZombiU game it was dropped to £199.

Asda also done it a little while after... Both HMV and Asda then bumped the prices up again shortly after. So wouldn't surprise me if this is just a temp thing.

Probably would make [small] profit on it on ebay even if you kept it till price goes back up again.

Against popular opinion, I quite like my WiiU, the gamepad is nice to play on

Is there a Metroid or Zelda game for it yet?

I do wish they'd enable HD output for Wii games. I know they don't want to since they'd rather rerelease the games, but there would be more people willing to get rid of their Wii and upgrade if it made their existing software look nicer...

We've had several 150(I meant 250) deals for the WiiU over the last 6 months here in the states, so I'm hopeful I'll see a 200 set before the next holiday season. Even though the WiiU doesn't have a ton of games, it should have at least 5 i want to play by the time I can get a 200 or less unit, so I'll be happy. The lack of games and pricing is keeping me from getting one currently, as I think many consumers feel the same way(or just don't care at all) :p

Chris

it should have at least 5 i want to play by the time I can get a 200 or less unit
It should have had at least 5 when it was released. I hope they've learned their lesson about arrogance. SONY paid for it with the PS3, Nintendo paid for it with the WiiU, Microsoft may be paying for it with the XBox One but they seem to make rapid course corrections so may be able to avoid complete catastrophe.

it should have at least 5 i want to play by the time I can get a 200 or less unit
It should have had at least 5 when it was released. I hope they've learned their lesson about arrogance. SONY paid for it with the PS3, Nintendo paid for it with the WiiU, Microsoft may be paying for it with the XBox One but they seem to make rapid course corrections so may be able to avoid complete catastrophe.
You are so right^ 

I've seen this behavior many times in the last 30 years, and I personally refer to it as "BIG HEAD syndrome". The 2600 was first, then N64 was next, then I believe PS3 took the title, and now Nintendo has done it twice over their history with the WiiU. These guys get so taken with their own success, that they think they can do anything and charge any price, and the consumers will flock to them. How wrong they are.

I think the only reason "N" has done it twice, was due to the change in presidents. I would hope that if Yamauchi was still around, such errors wouldn't have been made, but who knows for sure. Depending on how BIG the PS4 gets, maybe Sony will have another episode come PS5, but that's unlikely considering how much the ONE had to suffer before launch, but nothing surprises when it comes to big business. So far "N" is really the only ones to get so taken with their success, that they just turn a blind eye to basic business 101 TWICE.

Chris

I guess this is a perfectly good gift for some kids who do not like COD or halo and have no interest in bragging about NEXT GEN GRAPHICS and would rather play as an old Italy plumber jumping over big mushrooms and turtles. 

Seriously, releasing a video game console that has next to no quality 3rd party support while not making any of your own innovative "game of the year" level of quality games is like entering into a gun fight with a water pistol while have your trousers down. Even Mario, Zelda, Metroid, SSB, pokemon will grow old. 

N is too into itself, at least Sony's ps3 has a bunch of cool first party games, 3rd party exclusives, lots of discounts as well as helping a lot of indies. I would not buy another Nintendo thing until they publish super meat boy and the binding of isaac on their console. 

N is too into itself, at least Sony's ps3 has a bunch of cool first party games, 3rd party exclusives, lots of discounts as well as helping a lot of indies. I would not buy another Nintendo thing until they publish super meat boy and the binding of isaac on their console. 
When the PS3 came along, pricing was their BIGGEST hurdle. As they thought they could charge anything, and the masses would come along for the ride due to the PS2 success. Even though the price was way to high for a video game console, it did have the blu-ray angle, and when you look at the overall value, it was a very good deal actually. Many consumers bought it for the BR player, as it gave the best overall value along side stand alone players of the time. So at least they weren't completely out of touch, but it was a huge effort getting back to proper public opinions with the PS4.

"N" put a very bad taste in my mouth with the Wii, by the way they handled it's core audience. The WiiU looks like a better overall gaming machine than the Wii, but they really don't look like they had any solid plans for it's future at all. Most of their better games don't look like they even started production until the WiiU was announced(or even later). They appear to have just wanted to coast in to the next gen on the wave of success the Wii had laid down(hence using the same Wii name), but now they realize they should have taken this gen a little more seriously and had some proper games ready at launch, along with the proper advertising.

Chris

Back