Wiiware-homebrew?

It isn't for homebrew, it's for allowing all developers the chance to publish a game on the Wii for virtually no cost.

Which technically means homebrew as people can just develop something then send it to nintendo so that they can publish it for WiiWare. Who knows what we'll see on it though. Im still waiting for a Demo channel to arrive with a hard drive.

It's not quite that simple, you need to get a rating too from the ESRB. I doubt there'll be a way of giving things away for free either.

Wait a second. Let's follow the steps here.

1. I grab WiiWare.
2. I program a nice Wii game.
3. My game gets approved by Nintendo and put into the shop channel.
4. People pay Nintendo for my work while I get diddly-squat with no chance to offer it for free because Nintendo sets the prices.

If this is correct: Fuck you, Nintendo.

And with what SDK are these people coding with? If they have the SDK (legally) they should be able to publish their own software anyway. Shouldn't they?

sand_man said:
And with what SDK are these people coding with? If they have the SDK (legally) they should be able to publish their own software anyway. Shouldn't they?
No, the binaries still won't be signed until Nintendo approves them.

Last edited by a moderator:
icurafu said:
It is not correct. The developer gets a share of the earnings.

But the percentage is unknown at the moment.
Ah, OK. I have checked some more news sites and consensus seems to be that Nintendo decides on the price, not the developer. That would suck. Still, I'm looking forward to the release - I wondr of the software will be free. Probably not, but if it was, it would be very nice.

Mosch said:
Ah, OK. I have checked some more news sites and consensus seems to be that Nintendo decides on the price, not the developer. That would suck. Still, I'm looking forward to the release - I wondr of the software will be free. Probably not, but if it was, it would be very nice.
I don't think it's that bad. Nintendo don't want any games that are too cheap, giving the impression that the service is for poorly written rubbish but they also don't want it too expensive which would give it a reputation for being overpriced. Most games published in the normal way are about the same price, so there is clearly some level of control already.

Orkie said:
Mosch said:
I don't think it's that bad. Nintendo don't want any games that are too cheap, giving the impression that the service is for poorly written rubbish but they also don't want it too expensive which would give it a reputation for being overpriced. Most games published in the normal way are about the same price, so there is clearly some level of control already.

I go to Wiiarcade for the useless rubish, wit the occasional gem. :D

Oh geez, it sounded pretty well.
But approving and costs is terrible.
I mean, nothing against a homebrew dev offering his game for cash, but in this case, he can't even decide he wants to give it away for free...

Back