Will DX12 improve things for gamers?

Garrett

Advanced Member
I've been reading up on DX12 lately & although most of it is double dutch to me, as far as I understand it the intentions seem to be good, with CPU/GPU's able to communicate faster & more performance gains from older hardware.

Can you guys that are up to speed with how (or not) it will likely work share your thoughts.

I'll keep to DX7, myself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-hML-I5RV0

No, but OpenGL-Next will.
Whatever comes first and has more supported Games of course. ;)

I have high hopes in DX12, AMD's Mantle and everything that makes PC games as efficient as Console games when it comes to get most out of the hardware as possible. 

No, but OpenGL-Next will.
Whatever comes first and has more supported Games of course. ;)

I have high hopes in DX12, AMD's Mantle and everything that makes PC games as efficient as Console games when it comes to get most out of the hardware as possible.
I wouldn't even care if 99% would support D3D/DX12, I'd still support the remaining 1%.

Proprietary Windows-only stuff should be left out of gaming for good.

All this performance killing overhead and constant spying/DRMing is just no good.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm also for more gaming under linux but no way I would skip "99%" of the available content just because it does not run under Open GL.  If there is still one single reason to not completely deinstall and abandon Windows, then it's for sure gaming. And even Microsoft seems to have learned that (better late then never I guess). DX12 and a fast Win10 is their LAST chance to bind the gamers onto their OS IMHO. If they screw it up, well then we may see "Steam OS" & Co. more and more.

I actualy don't care which OS I use as long as it performs best and just runs everything I want without much tinkering (mostly games).

Well I've totally given up on using Windows for some time now.. current gen gaming for me is Linux, PS4 or don't play the game.

that makes PC games as efficient as Console games when it comes to get most out of the hardware as possible. 
PCs don't need to be as efficient as consoles since they have much more power under the hood. It's like trying to make a Ferrari as efficient as a Honda civic, it's nonsense.  

I'm also for more gaming under linux but no way I would skip "99%" of the available content just because it does not run under Open GL. 
It's far from being 99% for new titles. Tons of indies title come on linux as well, and AAA support is (slowly) rising, too. Let's stop spreading FUD please.

All new games I'm interested in are WinXP and Linux compatible, so I couldn't care less about everything after DirectX9.

AAA gaming is the last bastion of Windows and it's losing more ground every day *hooray*.

I just got a new notebook with a quite recent nvidia gpu and it works great with Linux.

I don't care, whether I could enable more features in games with windows (probably I could at least for my wine games).

I don't want to be the very best. I just want freedom. ;)

And especially with steam I got quite decent graphices! I doubt I would get better with Windows.

So to your question:

Will DX12 improves things for gamers?

No. But neither will OpenGL-Next. I don't think, that new graphics API features are needed for better™ games.

that makes PC games as efficient as Console games when it comes to get most out of the hardware as possible. 
PCs don't need to be as efficient as consoles since they have much more power under the hood. It's like trying to make a Ferrari as efficient as a Honda civic, it's nonsense.  
That's a crap analogy. PC's have more power to piss away on lazy programming, this is true. However, applying console style optimisations to PC games can be harder as wildly different hardware (Chipset/CPU/GPU/Sound) makes that much more difficult (try testing with thousands of variant OS/hardware combinations). This is part of why DirectX is so shite, as abstraction layers inevitably get worse in later revisions as they try to abstract a common interface from increasing variation in the hardware layer.

Still doesn't get PC programmers off the hook, though. There's some atrocious PC versions of console games (Rockstar games spring to mind), which seem to piss away the raw power advantage.

According to Nvidia the latest GPUs already support the main feature of DX12, the speed improvement.

So if I want a new Computer is it ok to buy now or should I wait until DX12 is supported completely?

Early support for DX-next means when the good games do come out, the hardware is underpowered for the games released later, which means you have to run them at DX-last when the time comes.

AMD has carrizo and a new open driver about to launch not to far into the future, could wait for that.

Wrong, PC's WASTE most of their power due lazy and bad coding compared to Console games. Look at all the Bad Ports of Console games on the PC, they could be much better. PC's have more power to USE it efficiently and generate better graphics than the Console games, not the same or even worse Graphics with higher hardware requirements!

With your example you actualy would have a PC Ferrari that only has a PC Civic Performance when you play a game.  Console Ferraris usualy have Console Ferrari performance. ;)

It's far from being 99% for new titles. Tons of indies title come on linux as well, and AAA support is (slowly) rising, too. Let's stop spreading FUD please.
I set the "99%" in quotations for a reason, RTFM!   :p

Wrong, PC's WASTE most of their power due lazy and bad coding compared to Console games. Look at all the Bad Ports of Console games on the PC, they could be much better. PC's have more power to USE it efficiently and generate better graphics than the Console games, not the same or even worse Graphics with higher hardware requirements!
Even the bad ports of console games on PC run at MUCH higher resolution and/or framerates. So Your Ferrari beats the Civic anytime. I have literrary never seen a powerful PC being worse than a console on the same title even through a crappy conversion. At least not anytime recently.  15 years ago, maybe, but that's past. PCs have so much more power than your regular console that even inefficient ports run better.

I set the "99%" in quotations for a reason, RTFM!  
What's the point of putting fake numbers if not for causing a distorted image of reality ? If you don't know the actual number, just put "most" instead of "99%". 

Even the bad ports of console games on PC run at MUCH higher resolution and/or framerates. So Your Ferrari beats the Civic anytime. I have literrary never seen a powerful PC being worse than a console on the same title even through a crappy conversion. At least not anytime recently.  15 years ago, maybe, but that's past. PCs have so much more power than your regular console that even inefficient ports run better.
*Cough* GTA IV *Cough cough cough*

What's the point of putting fake numbers if not for causing a distorted image of reality ? If you don't know the actual number, just put "most" instead of "99%".
I only grabed that imaginary number from Klumpen's post if you read it carefuly, again, it was just a quote. ;)
*Cough* GTA IV *Cough cough cough*
I also heared bad things about ports of Capcom games in general, same for the last Final Fantasy ports. Not to get it wrong, its always nice to see more Console games on the PC but please with propper ports.

far cry 4 was a total shitstorm for weeks after release on pc

Has anyone used WIndows 10 yet?   I have and it is bloody amazing, I was expecting it to be a bit rough around the edges but it feels extremely polished and some features like virtual desktops they do heaps better than linux.

I remember using windows 7 preview and I remember being impressed but nowhere near this impressed.

Back