Will DX12 improve things for gamers?

Well the objective of the first GNU people was to be able to recreate Unix tools as Free Software. It was not to become innovative per se. You are missing the point and you should probably read the book about RMS explaining his motivations in the first place. This being said, there are many improvements that were introduced when rewriting some Unix tools, and GCC was one of the best compilers at the time as well (one of the few giving clear informative messages on how to debug your code). 
I know why GNU was started, I don't have to read a book about rms book to know his history and understand his motivations and ideology.

The point is you were criticizing Windows by saying it started by copying everything it saw and had no original ideas, when a much stronger case can be made of Linux and GNU's origins being this.

The point is you were criticizing Windows by saying it started by copying everything it saw and had no original ideas, when a much stronger case can be made of Linux and GNU's origins being this.
It's not because I say that Windows is not Original that it means Linux IS original (I think Linux is more original than Windows but certainly NOT the most original OS ever designed - there are other good candidates worthy of that description).

In absolute Windows is closer to zero scale in terms of originality, Linux probably a little higher, and then you have all the other exotic ever OSes designed across the ranges on that scale. I think AmigaOS/Workbench introduced tons of good ideas that were never implemented in Linux or Windows (datatypes comes to mind). You could even make the case for RISCOS (for the way it deals with ongoing processes), BeOS and others.

That's why describing Windows as "innovative" is just laughable at best, because all it ever does (until now) is to integrate ideas that were proven somewhere else, without taking any risk. 

It's back! :wub:

Now with GNU, LDAP and new players!

Last edited by a moderator:
notaz's final release of SexyZaxxon 1.71 OS on the Pandora is the best.  Screw Linux and Windows.
Pfft.  Forget that messy, unpolished release of something I'd hardly call an OS.  Try TempleOS.  Literally the most important OS release in the entirety of human history. 

-Glyph Reader

Back