Will Pandora feel more like a Netbook or PDA/Mobile to you?

mazza558

Based on the size, weight, screen resolution and the kind of apps you'll see on the Pandora, do you think it will "feel" more like a Netbook (e.g EeePC/Acer Aspire One) or a PDA/Mobile (HTC Touch Diamond, iPhone etc)?

I think it will sit somewhere in the middle, leaning a little bit more towards a netbook.
A PDA is more portable, but less powerful(processing power, screen real estate, controls).
A Netbook is usually x86, thus more compatible to software you used to have on a Notebook/PC, but less efficient and too bulky to be considered portable.

Being a big fan of mobile technology, I hope the Pandora will fill the gap between ultra portable and powerful enough for serious work.
I have considered buying a netbook, but I couldn't convince myself about the usefulness of it. I've got a notebook, so I have no use for a smaller notebook with near to no horsepower. But I have use for a handheld. I've used PocketPCs in the last ten years, but they were just too crippled for serious work, mostly because they used Win CE. My N800 was the first handheld, that actually took some work off of my notebook. The Pandora may continue the evolution.

I think it will feel like a big GBA SP. It's going to be a pain to use the shoulder buttons and/or the joysticks while it's on a table.

Netbook with gaming controls and more fun to develop and use applications because everything should work out of the box.

25% netbook, 25% pda, 25% gaming device, 25% future :p

50% gaming (multimedia), 25% netbook and 25% everything else. This thing is designed for fun and games, no doubt about it, and that's how I plan on using it.

Not to say I won't be productive with the Pandora, but unless you carry around a keyboard, you won't get as much done.

mazza558 said:
Based on the size, weight, screen resolution and the kind of apps you'll see on the Pandora, do you think it will "feel" more like a Netbook (e.g EeePC/Acer Aspire One) or a PDA/Mobile (HTC Touch Diamond, iPhone etc)?
Based on size, weight, colour and tatse, do you think your banana is more like an apple or orange? :wink:

It's neither - it's unique. It's gonna feel like a MAME cab, psx and pc crammed into a DS.

TaG said:
Based on size, weight, colour and tatse, do you think your banana is more like an apple or orange? :wink:

It's neither - it's unique. It's gonna feel like a MAME cab, psx and pc crammed into a DS.
Hell, I run all of my current programs on my DS so my bananas taste like pomegranets.

Neither really, I don't use notebooks or netbooks, nor PDAs or cell phones. But I've always had something, from Gameboy Color to Archos 605 - and the Pandora is the latest and greatest.

I haven't used really either a netbook or a PDA/Mobile, but being the same size as my DS (phat), I think it will have a similar feel, like that of a PDA. However, because of the screen resolution and keyboard, it will probably be something in between a netbook and PDA.

javaJake said:
50% gaming (multimedia), 25% netbook and 25% everything else. This thing is designed for fun and games, no doubt about it, and that's how I plan on using it.

Not to say I won't be productive with the Pandora, but unless you carry around a keyboard, you won't get as much done.

I'm a gamer, that's for sure. I've spend half of my youth playing Plus4, Amiga500 and PC games. I will use the Pandora to play games, as I played on my PocketPC and I even played Quake 2 on my N800 all the way through(it may have been the 100th time playing Quake 2 through :twisted: ). If I had a Netbook, I would use it for gaming, as much as I play on my Notebook.

What I want to say is, to be able to play games is no unique feature of the Pandora. And I wouldn't buy a beefed up Gameboy, if it was the only thing it could do.
I want a real computing device, that does everything and more. I posted a link to ITT on gp32x, where someone(who also preordered a Pandora) managed to burn a CD with an external USB CD burner with his N800 running KDE :) Now, that is definitly netbook style :D

javaJake said:

since my £500 dell laptop with 9cell battery now lasts an abysmal 45 minutes on the battery after only 16 months of use, i'm sure i'll get a hell of a lot more done with 10 hours on a Pandora. that laptop disgusts me. proprietary batteries FTL, they completely cripple the actual productivity of pretty much any laptop or netbook, unless you really like forking out over £100 every year and a half just to keep your device(s) running (sounds insane, but see the dell website for laptop batteries...)

where i can charge either device i'll have a full sized PC at my disposal.

as to the PDA / Netbook question, it'll be in my mind 50% gaming, 25% multimedia&web tablet, and 25% productivity (PDA on steroids with netbook-like software i guess). i want to distance myself from the "portable x86 computer". x86 just sucks too much damn power. plus, no windows is a bonus for everyone - no windows-only apps, tools etc. i've always hated that about UMPCs.

It all depends on what software materialises.
From the software I've seen demoed I think it'll be mostly games. I don't think SAP or any other tracking software will ever be ported so that puts most of my work stuff out of the window.
For presentations laptop and hard copies are king. And all my customers/suppliers have someware to plug in (power), if I were to need to. But truthfully I try to make my presentations short and sweet, otherwise people just switch off.
I suppose it might be useful to see emails on 5" screen. Although I do try to avoid opening attachments on my phone (they can usually wait until I get back to the office).
A text editor would be cool. I have one on my phone and seldom use it; one would need the thumbs of a child to use the QWERTY pad on a Nokia. So what does that mean a Pandora with an usb keyboard? I am on the road quite a bit but my battery usually lasts longer than my concentration. And truthfully on the road most work is done while in a hotel room (and no I'm not a rent boy or jigalow)
I think truly I don't see it doing a hell of a lot more than my GP2X (games, videos and music) although it will do those things a million times better.

I do see the point that laptops with shite batteries are no better than desktops, but I do most my surfing on the sofa with my laptop in my lap, and I couldn't do that with a desktop. Maybe that’s a way surfing has evolved in lifestyle. and maybe with powerful handhelds not running Microshite, will evolve lifestyle even further, but I can't really see where other than at work and at home where I will surf, maybe I could stream video while cutting the lawn or having a plop, but I think that kind of evolution needs a head mounted, not hand held.

I think for worky tasks desktop and phone will still dominate.
Pandora will fall into 'me' time. Unless you produce music, edit graphics. There’s not enough characters to write code.(not that I write code for a living, I ment for people that do. (although I can, I did two programing modeles in my degree and that was a long time ago, and I wrote code on both my CPC6128 and Amiga as a child.)

The idea of netbooks is cooler than actual uses. As cheep computers to keep kids happy they're fine. As a cool gadget to show of to you mates they're fine, they're not really poketable, and the battery life is not that useful. Maybe the Pandora will be what netbooks should have been.
We’ll see.

What would be mega cool would be a phone that folds out in to a Pandora. But that is a fantasy that would need not only some mega software, but also Tardiss technology. But if I’m talking about fantasy, wouldn’t it be better if it folded out into Charlotte Church. Any way I better chill with the of topic shit before gerds starts shutup bevising me.

It would defiantly feel more like a netbook then a pda to me with all its power and built in keyboard. The fact that we should have a couple pda emulators is a big plus :) (Palm os 4 opensource emu (forget name), maybe garnet emulator, newtons have and OS emulator too)

Gaming controls should work well as a mouse too.

Back