will there be a new pandora with a quad core?

First of all this device isn't trying to compete with current devices. If the OMAP5 is chosen it still would be a significant boost vs the current hardware.

it would also be ncie if it was inthe 300 USD range isntead of 500 USD, that or it would need some serious CPU/GPU power for 500 USD.
I don't think that is possible as this is a small niche developed and built by a small group of people, vs a big corporation that are selling in the millions..  Not to mention I can argue that a smart phone isn't cheaper than the Pandora especially in the US.. I know the "Data" plan alone out of my phone bill could buy a Pandora a year on top of paying $200 dollars upfront for it.
you can get a decent tablet for cheap. i know Acer Iconcia A110 can be had for 125-175 USD used. I think they sell smart phones with out plans and used. REALLY all i want is to have really good 3d graphics i nthe new pandora.

Sure, 4 cores can get hot and drain your battery quicker, but you can only really get more performance out of it if you do lots of multitasking on it, or if you can run software on it that isn't bottlenecked by a single thread or by the GPU.
multi thread apps, like say Dolphin emulator would make use of the 4 cores. also i thibk unused croes go into power saving states. i knoe the Tegra 3 has a 5 power saving core thats is used and the rest are shut off or put in to low power state.

I'd love to just see at least 4gb of flash so we can have a far more robust distro and utilities installed by default... we all like to dream right? :)
Seems like a decent idea. woudl it be possible to implement a micr sd slot to store the OS or EXTRA parts of the os? maybe have users use a high calss, high speed SD card?

The silver lining is that the OMAP 5 is 1.7 ghz with voer clcoking perhaps 2.0 ghz is attainable? can't say i know much or as muhc about tablet/phone/ARM hardware but, back i the day i had a little OMAP in my black jack and it did well for it's age and speed.

To bad the Pandora can't also be a phone, it has every thign i want in a phone. though you would look pretty stupid holind up what looks like an NDS to your ear. :lol:   I think for now i'll geta used PSP phone.

I bet the new OMPA would be fast enough to play internet videos. i haven't seen any video of the Pandora 1ghz playing internet videos yet.

please, no offtopic about polls in this absolutely essential P2 spam thread...

now getting back on subject: can we have a poll on the number of cores wanted? I'd want pi core myself...
WOAH. never though of a Pi cpu. it IS ARM after all and opensource... i think. not sure how powerfull it is though.

Last edited by a moderator:
multi thread apps, like say Dolphin emulator would make use of the 4 cores
No it doesn't. Dolphin uses 2 cores, there is nothing it can do to use more than that. Where did you get the idea that it used 4? I am serious, you may have more recent information than I do, but last I heard was that it was stuck at max of 2.
WOAH. never though of a Pi cpu. it IS ARM after all and opensource... i think. not sure how powerfull it is though
The CPU in the Raspberry Pi is worse than the one in the Pandora.elwing was making a joke: he was suggesting that we get a CPU with pi (3.1415926) cores in it.

You're right, as usual :)

However, what happens in typical idle situations? E.g. if you put a load of, say, 2% on all four cores clocked at 1GHz? Would that use the same, more, or less power than having a load of 8% on one core?

I would assume that in such a use case, more cores would still consume more power because of overheads/latencies of powering on and off. Maybe I'm wrong, or maybe the overhead is negligible.
I think that varies a lot with the SoC. With such low utilization it'll probably be better on one core because static power consumption (leakage) will start to dominate, and because there'll be voltage and maybe even clock floors that make it impractical to clock it too low while it's on. That said, some manufacturing processes these days have very low leakage.

Ultimately, the OS scheduler should make some judgement about this. In your example, we don't really know if that 2% happens with the thread wanting activity 2us out of every 1ms, or if it's more like 2ms out of every second. This makes a really big difference, and can be used as inputs to the scheduler. Unfortunately, the governor kernel code for various SoCs is not always great, and won't always power gate even if something spends most of its time idle and wakes up with a relatively infrequent cadence.

No it doesn't. Dolphin uses 2 cores, there is nothing it can do to use more than that. Where did you get the idea that it used 4? I am serious, you may have more recent information than I do, but last I heard was that it was stuck at max of 2.
Last I recall, it can use a different thread for CPU, GPU (that may or may not include all the interacting with OpenGL) and DSP (maybe not with LLE DSP?). I have no idea what the typical balance is for these threads.

There's some perf numbers here: https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-green-notice-development-thread-important-query-about-lock-threads-to-cores-performance

Looks like there's quite a lot of improvement from 2 to 3 cores, although the very poor single core results might suggest some issue. Performance with 3 and 4 cores looks about the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
oh-christ-not-this-shit-again.jpg

i didn't even kow the tegra k1 existed till day i amde that comment, after i made this thread. Thanks for the link i'll give it a read.

Back