Will This Umid Kill Pandora

-no gaming controls
-$433 preordered, $500 or $577 working RRP
-x86
-only mini-USB
-only 1 SD slot

~anecdotes of poor pre-order build quality

+x86 (good for the things which demand Windows)
+512 MB RAM
+16/32 GB SSD
+wimax/wibro/wi* connections

These devices slightly resemble each other, but only in form factor. Ultimately they target much different parts of the handheld/pocketable computing market.

I know you will be interested in this too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2gs0rAsHDc

my last link promise. Retro gaming in all its keyboard glory!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, but that last video just reinforces how much better Pandora is will be for gaming. Old school keyboard control is cool, but I don't know about holding a unit like that in both hands while thumb-controlling an Eee-like keyboard. I don't know about that at all.

'Gruso' said:
Sorry, but that last video just reinforces how much better Pandora is for gaming. Old school keyboard control is cool, but I don't know about holding a unit like that in both hands while thumb-controlling an Eee-like keyboard. I don't know about that at all.
You have a point - I wouldn't want to play Contra on that keyboard. Platforms like Mario or Sonic yes, Megaman no.

'Junebug7556' said:
my last link promise.
Well at least fix them :p Forums are "broken" and links don't work.

CODE
better to use code tags

or miss the http part of the URL. ;)

And yeah it's weird trying to control a game with a keyboard that size. Gaming controls yay!

'gp2.eXe' said:
'Junebug7556' said:
my last link promise.
Well at least fix them :p Forums are "broken" and links don't work.

CODE
better to use code tags

or miss the http part of the URL. ;)

And yeah it's weird trying to control a game with a keyboard that size. Gaming controls yay!

Yes I do apologise for my links - you'll need to paste them I'm afraid. Didn't know about the code tags - will use next time. Promise.

Saw no hands anywhere near the keyboard during quake, think maybe that portion was a movie, didn't look frantic enough for quake tease mode. What was the fps with the m16? Saw somebody actually playing that but did not look so hot, kind of creepy the way the weapon never moves.

I know that pandora 2 talk is frowned upon and I understand but just to let my imagination run wild for a sec. Imagine a few years from now when intel has a superior version of the atom available. Now imagine the pandoras controller with an atom inside. Thats why I support this project and I believe there are alot of others like me who think that the whole open console thing has amazing potential. This umid is fine and all but the controllers are lacking for gaming. Best of both worlds an x86 cpu that can run windows aps and switch over to linux whenever.

'jamaya15' said:
I know that pandora 2 talk is frowned upon and I understand but just to let my imagination run wild for a sec. Imagine a few years from now when intel has a superior version of the atom available. Now imagine the pandoras controller with an atom inside. Thats why I support this project and I believe there are alot of others like me who think that the whole open console thing has amazing potential. This umid is fine and all but the controllers are lacking for gaming. Best of both worlds an x86 cpu that can run windows aps and switch over to linux whenever.
Honestly, I don't want to see one architecture take over the entire personal computing space. There's only like 3 companies that make x86 and Intel's Atom is getting all the news about being embedded.

What I like about the Pandora is that it just says, "Hey, fuck you" to legacy, closed-source software and uses the best architecture for the job, whether anybody else wants to use it or not.

I'd like to see ARM take over more of the portable market, I think a high-power ARM laptop running Linux would be a lot of fun.

'atomicthumbs' said:
I love the way Quake 3 seems to run worse on this Atom netbook thingy than on the Pandora.
You noticed that too? About a third the framerate. Not 60fps, and not even "smooth" looking. Lots of jolts/jitters.

'jamaya15' said:
x86 is advancing slower than ARM is. By the time a lighter power consumption Atom is available, ARM CPUs 8x as fast as the current ones(in the same power envelope) will be available.

'Gruso' said:
Intel Pandoras will never, ever happen.
The best CPU/chipset for the job will almost certainly be an ARM SoC.

'lulzfish' said:
What I like about the Pandora is that it just says, "Hey, fuck you" to legacy, closed-source software and uses the best architecture for the job, whether anybody else wants to use it or not.
Haha. :lol:

No, there's no gaming controls. End of story.

That UMID looks neat but it will never hold a candle to what I am expecting in my Pandora. Price is higher, performance superiority may be negligible, battery life is not what I would enjoy in the Pandora, etc. The size of the Pandora is one definite seller for me.

'Junebug7556' said:
'PoisonedV' said:
Is this our first clone? its all too convenient
clone or not...
first of all, stop making up terms. umid? mbook?
Anyway, no. first of all, korean aftermarkety-type stuff in general is shit. no support from the company etc. second, its form factor is different: yes, generally the same size but this is x86, and windows and all that. all these devices make stupendous claims but suffer from short battery life and high heat, not to mention no gaming controls. theres way to many problems with the umids or umpcs or WHATEVER THE FUCK YOU WANT TO CALL THEM, because 86 architecture simply doesnt scale well
Yes, but these are the terms being used to describe this bit of kit. UMID means Ultra Mobile Internet Device, mBook is the model name in Korea. So there.

well, umid is just a combination of two other ones- umpc and mid. along with that we also have pmp, mp, netbook, ultrathin, and bunches of other shit no one cares about! you dont need 90 different made up subjective bullshit categories for every new device thats made!

I'm with your PoisonedV. What's "Ultra Mobile" supposed to mean anyway? Stuff has only to states, mobile or immobile. Thats like ultradead or ultrapregnant.

i cant get a break man, every time i buy myself some new technology, within a few weeks something sneaks into my room in the night and destroys it.

seriously though, unless its cheaper, a whole universe of better at the job and at the very least capable of doing similar things, stop wasting peoples time with the whole "is it gonna kill this unreleased product" thing.

better than a troll saying "tHIs ThINg beTTeR. pANdoRa sUX".

however, i agree with poisonedv on all these new categories though. it's all just some brand new name so that the average consumer will be wowed when watching the commercials and throw down some money.

'ultrapregnant'... i have got to start using that.

If you get three hours of heavy duty gaming life out of the battery, which I very much doubt, you won't be able to hold the thing, it will be far too hot.

The atom is great at saving power when the CPU isn't doing anything, but is your normal Intel X86 pig when its running full out.

I hope they have a real low power fan to cool it down. Sort of an avalanche of heat, CPU running alot, CPU heats up, Fan turns on, Battery cries "Uncle!"

The idea is that ultamobile devices are pocket-sized, and don't need a separate carrying case. Hence, they are more portable.

Pocket PC would probably be the most accurate term, or just call it a PC that happens to be very small.

Back