Win2X : Alternative Frontend

JayWiz.jpg

My thoughts, yet I hope my changes don't offend..

I deleted some stuff from the log in screen, and changed some things.

~Spiced up the original background.
~Made the icon display bigger yet did a cheesy(eh) border for it that's going to change.

Still working on this, as I'm not completely satisfied.. 'just a w.i.p.'

JayWhite said:
chp said:
Jest said:
I made a skin for Win2X, I just have a question. When I changed the Graphic for startup.png it doesn't seem to change it stays with the blue one. Even though the image is my own. Any ideas how to change the startup.png graphic??
Also installing seems kind of tricky, had to back up Win2x then install it again as "blue" otherwise it wouldn't show up with a custom name. Had to kind of trick it I guess. XD Would it be possible to have a skin up loader? something that puts the files in the right place and makes them selectable in the skins section?
The startup.png(the one that welcomes you at startup-if it's that what you mean)is skin independent which means that if you change it,it will be showing regardless the skin.
On the other hand,if you mean the wallpaper,then Win2X chooses automatically one of the 2 wallpaper files when
you select a skin(either Blue of Gold) and you have to select your own wallpaper manually(see the documentation).
Finally,right now there is no option to rename the default skins(Blue,Gold).You can just modify their existing files.
I would not recommend messing with these files,unless you know what you are doing and make testing first!
You can send me you skin and include it to the upcoming update release if you like.I will add custom skin support
some time in the future.

CHP, not sure if this is what you're mentioning, but I've been able to edit all of those pictures and they change.

I.E. logon.png, welcome.png, and even the shutdown.png.

My bad I meant startmenu.png. Oh and that's probably my problem right there. When I made the skin file I named in startup.png instead of startmenu.png. Huzzah, you have inadvertently solved the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys, just got home and missed the previous posts...

Jest : I have already mentioned it but...Be careful when editing a resource file(i.e startmenu.png).You MUST keep the original file's size,keep
the responce areas in the file in accordance and specially keep the file name as is.Otherwise you may render Win2X useless...

My suggestion is to put Win2X in the SD and then testing it from there(by simply running Win2X.gpe).

I would also like to say that because I'm very short on time,it is difficult to me to create a new skin for the moment.So, if someone has created a complete skin and wishes to see it as an option in Win2X, just send me the resource files and I will embed your skin in it(under its creator name or whatever name you like).

Many Thanks.

chp said:
I would also like to say that because I'm very short on time,it is difficult to me to create a new skin for the moment.So, if someone has created a complete skin and wishes to see it as an option in Win2X, just send me the resource files and I will embed your skin in it(under its creator name or whatever name you like).

Many Thanks.

i workin on skin modification and as i know it`s no need to keep orginal dimensions of files.Some of them if you change to much make win2x freeze[you must be carefully with bottombar for example],but it`s changeable.One time i have very strange effect, when i run win2x from sd everything be fine, but after install wiz hold on loading screen.I try again same files and effect will be the same.Then i put only my profile and skin files to clean copy of win2x and everything works on.Very strange.

rorque said:
i workin on skin modification and as i know it`s no need to keep orginal dimensions of files.Some of them if you change to much make win2x freeze[you must be carefully with bottombar for example],but it`s changeable.One time i have very strange effect, when i run win2x from sd everything be fine, but after install wiz hold on loading screen.I try again same files and effect will be the same.Then i put only my profile and skin files to clean copy of win2x and everything works on.Very strange.
Yes,some files are changeable but if you notice,they are no more centered in the screen(i.e if you change the dimension of the system window) and the
result may be not beautiful.Anyway, it's up to you and as you said there may be some freezing.As for the strange affect you noticed,it had something to do with the previous installation.That is why it worked for a new clean one.

chp said:
Yes,some files are changeable but if you notice,they are no more centered in the screen(i.e if you change the dimension of the system window) and the
result may be not beautiful.

i think effect look pretty nice ;)

http://plastic-demo.org/Gold.rar

It`s still WIP.

rorque said:
chp said:

It`s still WIP.

I'm liking your syswin.png menu icons!

Win2X version 2.2 released:
> Fixed calendar time set
> Improved shutdown command
> Added desktop icons description(press X button on the desktop)
> Other visual and functional improvements

If you have v2.1 installed,run "upgrade.gpe"(this will keep your current settings).
Otherwise, run "install.gpe" for a fresh and clean installation.

I apologise but I didn't have enough time to implement a "sort by.." menu,as I promised.
It will be done though in the next release.

I checked out openhandhelds for the release. It's not there CHP.

I'm working on a complete skin, when I'm done I will release it to you so that you can add it to the skin database if you'd like.

Although the game confuses me at times, I still dig it!

logon.jpg

logoningin.jpg

shuttingdown.jpg

logonNES.jpg

If anybody here likes my designs tell me and I'll whip up a log in for you if you want one.

Yes, please...could you make me a Nintendo DS themed one? No Mario shit, just images of the Nintendo DS/DSi consoles. Thanks in advance, mate. :wiz: B)

EDIT: That's freakin' awesome, Jay!!! :)

chp said:
Win2X version 2.2 released:
> Fixed calendar time set
> Improved shutdown command
> Added desktop icons description(press X button on the desktop)
> Other visual and functional improvements

If you have v2.1 installed,run "upgrade.gpe"(this will keep your current settings).
Otherwise, run "install.gpe" for a fresh and clean installation.

I apologise but I didn't have enough time to implement a "sort by.." menu,as I promised.
It will be done though in the next release.
Cool, you're officially back! :p

Thanks, mate. :)

SONY said:
Yes, please...could you make me a Nintendo DS themed one? No Mario shit, just images of the Nintendo DS/DSi consoles. Thanks in advance, mate. :wiz: B)

EDIT: That's freakin' awesome, Jay!!! :)

Do you want it completely different? or some things the same?
Want the theme to be light or dark?
What kind of text do you want on it?

Just trying to get an idea before I get started.

I certainly wish I knew how to program these things in depth. UGH@!!!

SONY said:
Do it like yours only oranges and reds (no blue or green) please.

I still want to tweak it some, but this where I'm stopping for the night. Gotta work in the AM, but hopefully it's still snowing bad in the morning like it was today, cuz another day off would give me a 4 day weekend! Woot!

sonylogon.jpg

The thing with this is I set these up so that I could put the username fancy basically wherever I want it, instead of that plain ol embedded username text. The trick behind this would be that horizontal line that fades out on it's sides, that sits right below the DS image. It is hiding the embedded username txt when the username is set to just a - Dash. or even two -- dashes. One works fine though. Anything else will just be visible. Maybe CHP could make an option to 'hide the username text'?

I could probably even tweak the whole DS image that I used to try to hide the dash; while making it the whole DS image instead of just a part of it like it is. The problem with this is, is it gets in the way of the loggin in text, or even the shutting down text. It might just be hard to hide the username dash with it anyway. I'd have to see.. Let me know what you think..

EDIT: One other thing you have to do is, is create a BLANK.png transparent file for your icon and set it as the icon. If you don't do this then either the default icon will show, or 'your' icon will show on the log in screen on top of everything. If you're wanting your specific icon to show a top the start menu like it shows, then edit the frame.png within the win2x contents and put your icon in the frame. Doing this should change it because I totally deleted everything out of the frame.png image and now the top of my start menu is clear from the frame and the icon.

JayWhite said:
I still want to tweak it some, but this where I'm stopping for the night. Gotta work in the AM, but hopefully it's still snowing bad in the morning like it was today, cuz another day off would give me a 4 day weekend! Woot!

Extra-long weekend FTW!!! :D

sonylogon.jpg

The thing with this is I set these up so that I could put the username fancy basically wherever I want it, instead of that plain ol embedded username text. The trick behind this would be that horizontal line that fades out on it's sides, that sits right below the DS image. It is hiding the embedded username txt when the username is set to just a - Dash. or even two -- dashes. One works fine though.
Alright, I'll set it to just a dash then. :)

Anything else will just be visible. Maybe CHP could make an option to 'hide the username text'?
Nah, mate, no need. It's all good the way it is.

I could probably even tweak the whole DS image that I used to try to hide the dash; while making it the whole DS image instead of just a part of it like it is. The problem with this is, is it gets in the way of the loggin in text, or even the shutting down text. It might just be hard to hide the username dash with it anyway. I'd have to see.. Let me know what you think.
Nah, mate, no need. It's all good the way it is. But could you make the DS image a DSi instead, because that image up there you have now is a DS?

EDIT: One other thing you have to do is, is create a BLANK.png transparent file for your icon and set it as the icon. If you don't do this then either the default icon will show, or 'your' icon will show on the log in screen on top of everything. If you're wanting your specific icon to show a top the start menu like it shows, then edit the frame.png within the win2x contents and put your icon in the frame. Doing this should change it because I totally deleted everything out of the frame.png image and now the top of my start menu is clear from the frame and the icon.
HOLD ON...I have to leave work now. Be Back Later.

JayWhite said:

I'm working on a complete skin, when I'm done I will release it to you so that you can add it to the skin database if you'd like.
It is taking a while for the archive to show up...
Certainly Jay!I'll be glad to include your skin.

JayWhite said:
rorque said:
chp said:

It`s still WIP.

I'm liking your syswin.png menu icons!

im glad to read that, thanks.I planned make iconset in this style in future for all emu,apps etc.

chp said:
JayWhite said:

It is taking a while for the archive to show up...
Certainly Jay!I'll be glad to include your skin.

Cool!

By any chance might we see a Win2x embedded flash player, movie player and music player?

Nah, mate, no need. It's all good the way it is. But could you make the DS image a DSi instead, because that image up there you have now is a DS?

You're right, it's a DS. I'll look into a decent DSI image, if you have one that you'd like me to use send it on over!

Back