Win2X : Alternative Frontend

chp: I started off deleting some genesis roms, but they showed up in the explorer regardless of how many times I tried. I also tried NES roms, and after some checking I've found that delete doesn't actually work for me at all. Perhaps because I'm trying to delete zip and 7zip files?

As far as the touch screen goes, it seems to work accurately for me for everything chp's implemented so far. Some things don't respond because I don't think he's added touch screen responses yet. Also, you may be trying to click the text when clicking the icons works just fine for me.

One bug I HAVE noticed is that blue border around icons does NOT follow touch screen presses on the main menu. It works fine elsewhere.

Again, I think many issues with the touch screen would be eliminated by animating the button presses, even just having a pressed and unpressed state would go miles to notify people where the hotspots are so they can calibrate their touchscreens or report some major offset problems. Having it instantly pop up windows makes it difficult to report exactly where the hotspots are so a brief pause to show a button press couldn't hurt. I'd be willing to make some highlighted versions of the main menu icons and the close button, etc if you don't want to do it and can send me the images. For user created icons I figure you could just make the border box flicker between two colors for each click to show its been registered (blue/red or blue/green?).

Maybe a calibration utility from inside of win2x would be a good thing as well?

Great work, chp!

ProgZmax said:
chp: I started off deleting some genesis roms, but they showed up in the explorer regardless of how many times I tried. I also tried NES roms, and after some checking I've found that delete doesn't actually work for me at all. Perhaps because I'm trying to delete zip and 7zip files?

As far as the touch screen goes, it seems to work accurately for me for everything chp's implemented so far. Some things don't respond because I don't think he's added touch screen responses yet. Also, you may be trying to click the text when clicking the icons works just fine for me.

One bug I HAVE noticed is that blue border around icons does NOT follow touch screen presses on the main menu. It works fine elsewhere.

Again, I think many issues with the touch screen would be eliminated by animating the button presses, even just having a pressed and unpressed state would go miles to notify people where the hotspots are so they can calibrate their touchscreens or report some major offset problems. Having it instantly pop up windows makes it difficult to report exactly where the hotspots are so a brief pause to show a button press couldn't hurt. I'd be willing to make some highlighted versions of the main menu icons and the close button, etc if you don't want to do it and can send me the images.

Maybe a calibration utility from inside of win2x would be a good thing as well?

Great work, chp!
Thanks again ProgZmax!Well I have noticed the explorer copy/paste/delete bug too(it's due to some kind of overflow),just after uploading the new version but I fixed by now.
Right now I'm working on the next version...So any reported bug would be appreciated so as I can fix it...

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks very smart, I've got my shortcuts all setup nicely and it loads stuff and returns to the menu perfectly! I now appreciate having the 'desktop' icons for most used, and storing all the other stuff in the menu categories.

The problem I found using two SD cards has now been fixed - thanks!

A minor suggestion would be when scaling the png icons, only allow shrink, as some icons that come packaged with games & emu's are a few pixels smaller than your icon dimensions. This has the effect of stretching small icons a few pixels making them look ugly.

This is set to be THE launcher for Wiz, I see no reason for anyone to stick with the clunky default anymore...

Just played with version 1.0 for a while. I have to say thank you again, chp, this frontend is really nice and I really like it a lot over GMenu2X. I calibrated the touch screen before running Win2X and it works fine.
And here's some suggestion I would like to make (please simply ignore them if they sound stupid or some one else here has already mentioned them).

About the icon/link description, I created links for some emulators, and some of them came on to the emulator folder with a default icon, since no default png file is in their folders. And I can't distiguish them until I browse over each icon and their names show on the status panel (not sure what exactly this is called). I tried to edit the link descriptions and nothing changed (at least could't find any difference). Would it be possible to put a link description right under each icon so the users can easily tell what the icon links to without having to set the focus onto the icons?
I think this becomes more necessary when the icon comes onto the desktop since I couldn't find anything that will tell me what these icons (default icons) link to, even when I browse over them.

Thanks again!

difuno said:
Just played with version 1.0 for a while. I have to say thank you again, chp, this frontend is really nice and I really like it a lot over GMenu2X. I calibrated the touch screen before running Win2X and it works fine.
And here's some suggestion I would like to make (please simply ignore them if they sound stupid or some one else here has already mentioned them).

About the icon/link description, I created links for some emulators, and some of them came on to the emulator folder with a default icon, since no default png file is in their folders. And I can't distiguish them until I browse over each icon and their names show on the status panel (not sure what exactly this is called). I tried to edit the link descriptions and nothing changed (at least could't find any difference). Would it be possible to put a link description right under each icon so the users can easily tell what the icon links to without having to set the focus onto the icons?
I think this becomes more necessary when the icon comes onto the desktop since I couldn't find anything that will tell me what these icons (default icons) link to, even when I browse over them.

Thanks again!
No stupid at all!Very neat statement...It got completely out of my attention.I'll fix this in the next version.Thank you very much!

chp said:
difuno said:

Thanks again!
No stupid at all!Very neat statement...It got completely out of my attention.I'll fix this in the next version.Thank you very much!
Just thought I'd mention, I like the exclusion of text from the desktop, some app names are too long and get muddled and ugly. If you are going to add text in the next version I suggest it be an option you can toggle on or off.

Uh oh - the unthinkable has happened, I uninstalled the old version, deleted it and installed the latest - everytime I turn on my wiz it boots then when switches to Win2X it goes straight to a black screen. Now I can't use my Wiz at all.

I hope it's running but just not showing on screen, so PLEASE can you give me the exact order I'd need to press buttons to get it to exit out and return to the default wiz interface? If I can do it using the keys I might be able to do it "blind", otherwise I'll have to go through the whole unbricking thing. I installed it from SD, but even taking the SD card out it boots into black screen.

I don't want to put people off using this software, it's great, I have no idea why this problem happened, it's just one of these things I guess.

EDIT: In future releases would it be possible to hold a couple of buttons down while booting to automatically go straight to the original Wiz menu, it'd make recovering from this kind of problem very easy. Anyway - HELP PLEASE!

TitanUranus said:
Uh oh - the unthinkable has happened, I uninstalled the old version, deleted it and installed the latest - everytime I turn on my wiz it boots then when switches to Win2X it goes straight to a black screen. Now I can't use my Wiz at all.

It happened to me today. Unfortunately, you've semi-bricked it.

But there's a way to return to normal.

1. Download the latest firmware

2. Extract it to the root of your SD/SDHC card and insert card into Wiz

3. Switch Wiz off, then on again only this time have the R trigger button held down till the firmware update message comes up

4. Let go and it'll start installing the firmware

5. After about 15 mins, the installation is complete, so you now switch Wiz off and then back on again.

All good again!!! :wiz:

Now uninstall Win2X!!! :)

EDIT: Feel free to install Win2X again. B)

TitanUranus said:
Uh oh - the unthinkable has happened..
Unforunately you have to reflash your firmware Titan.I have some questions though:
1. The first time you ran "install.gpe" did Win2X load?
2. What FW did you have installed on?

CHP

1. I ran it to test it before installing and it worked fine. When I installed it I think the screen went off and never came back on (I didn't pay much attention thinking switching off and on again would sort it).
2. latest firmware.

Sony - really hope that works, I'll try it later and report back. Thanks.

TitanUranus said:
CHP
1. I ran it to test it before installing and it worked fine. When I installed it I think the screen went off and never came back on (I didn't pay much attention thinking switching off and on again would sort it).
2. latest firmware.
Sony - really hope that works, I'll try it later and report back. Thanks.
Sony's instructions are correct.This is how you reflash your firmware...But I must state something:It is vital that you do not change the contents of the Win2X folder in any way before installing it!If you accidentally erased or modified any file while testing Win2X, then maybe that's the case why it didn't work!

Please let me know how it is going...

That'll be it - that tiny little wallpaper.png I copied into the folder is guilty! I suspected as much, but having tested it with my own wallpaper.png before installing it I didn't think it would have a problem.

Thank you Sony, that worked a treat. Just a bit irritated I'd some stuff stored in NAND that wasn't backed up, but it's a small price to get my Wiz running again so easily (I backed up the SD, forgot about NAND - duh!).

Any chance the next release might allow us to use our own wallpapers CHP? I'm still going to be using this as my front end, it's fantastic. For whatever reason, I didn't panic when it locked up, and it proved easy enough to fix, so thanks to both of you.

TitanUranus said:
That'll be it - that tiny little wallpaper.png I copied into the folder is guilty! I suspected as much, but having tested it with my own wallpaper.png before installing it I didn't think it would have a problem.

Thank you Sony, that worked a treat. Just a bit irritated I'd some stuff stored in NAND that wasn't backed up, but it's a small price to get my Wiz running again so easily (I backed up the SD, forgot about NAND - duh!).

Any chance the next release might allow us to use our own wallpapers CHP? I'm still going to be using this as my front end, it's fantastic. For whatever reason, I didn't panic when it locked up, and it proved easy enough to fix, so thanks to both of you.
OK,glad to know everything is fine.There is no reason to panic as reflashing the fw makes everything up..
You can already use your own wallpaper:
1. copy any .png file in your SD card.
2. run Win2X and open the explorer.
3. find that file,select it,press R and select copy.
4. close the explorer and open [wallpaper] under [system].
5. press R and select paste.
Now you can select the custom wallpaper aswell.Bewarned though as currently the copy/paste doesn't support long path functions.Just put your file
on the root of the SD with a sort name(AND no spaces at all!).
The next version will include a more flexible option for wallpapers,like 'set as wallpaper' for every .png file in the explorer,without having to copy/paste by yourself...

Nice Frontend , the best i've seen until yet, made my wiz with it and it works fine.
After some tests i'll understand how it works and i made all my soft with it.
Now my Wiz have a nice desktop with own wallpaper and it makes me happy, many thanks.
The feature to implement it in nand is great.

My touchscreen isn't working well, so i can't say it's the wiz or the frontend.
Sometimes it works , sometimes not. Heared that a new firmware is coming soon which
should make something better.
The border of the selected icon should be a little bigger, could't see it as good... right?
Is a 24 hour clock possible for next versions? Maybe the actual date also...
A percent bar for battery should be nicer also...
The function to delete links should show the actual filename which is going to delete when you ask yes/no...
Multimedia playability i think with some time you handle it for sure...

Go on great work

Best Frontend for me....
MANY THANKS

chp said:
chickendung said:
Am I the only one still having issues with the touchscreen on this? Does someone need to see my Wiz setup to see what the problem is?
As I asked on a previous post...it would be very helpfull if you could make a list with the contents of your "/lib" directory.I suspect that some files may be missing...
I don't even have a /lib directory. How does one come about?

milkawax said:
Best Frontend for me....
Thank you very much!Nice to know that Win2X appeals to even more and more users.Your statements are very correct and will be implemented.For now I'm working on fixing and adding major features on this.Multimedia is the hot spot for me right now...

chickendung said:
I don't even have a /lib directory. How does one come about?
You should have a lib directory in the root of the filesystem.If you use Win2X's explorer and follow the root backwards,you should have a list of
directories like bin,usr,etc...There should exist a directory named "lib".Check it out and let me know if you would...

Thank you very much chp, Win2X is one of the best applications for the Wiz, and for sure gonna make me love even more my little machine.

Just one thing, is there any way to put a link in the desktop for the default music player? With that the program will be perfect for me.

Greetings and sorry for my poor english.

Edit:

And the chance to make links for the system´s applications, like GP2Xmenu, could be very usefull. :)

raindog said:
Thank you very much chp, Win2X is one of the best applications for the Wiz, and for sure gonna make me love even more my little machine.

Just one thing, is there any way to put a link in the desktop for the default music player? With that the program will be perfect for me.

Greetings and sorry for my poor english.

Edit:

And the chance to make links for the system´s applications, like GP2Xmenu, could be very usefull. :)

My guess is that if u run the "install.gpe" u flash over ur original firmware ? , meaning u delete the built in media player ?...

Now to my question to u chp : Its a lot of talk about the battery time decreasing if u implate to much stuff , but how is it holding up to the built in system menu so far ? , do i get the same battery life as the built in system menu in the curent state of "Win2X" ?

And have i understood it right to say : launching an application exits the "Win2X" frontend so only the application launched drains battery ? , and does the original frontend do this to ?

raindog said:
Thank you very much chp, Win2X is one of the best applications for the Wiz, and for sure gonna make me love even more my little machine...
First of all thank you very much!
Hmmm...a launcher to the media player is a nice idea...I'll look to it...

Back